Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's the best way to get to the fairgrounds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the best way to get to the fairgrounds?

We are staying at Quarterhouse on Chartres and know we don't want to walk (particularly back to hotel after a whole day at JF). Is the Grayline Express bus which picks up right on Canal the best way to get there or is it a mob scene? How about just taking a cab--would that be real expensive and are they waiting up there later in the day to bring people back or do you have to call them? How about the street car to City Park? How far of a walk is it from where it lets off to the actual entrance of fairgrounds? Thanks.

Originally posted by Luci View Post
    We are staying at Quarterhouse on Chartres and know we don't want to walk (particularly back to hotel after a whole day at JF). Is the Grayline Express bus which picks up right on Canal the best way to get there or is it a mob scene? How about just taking a cab--would that be real expensive and are they waiting up there later in the day to bring people back or do you have to call them? How about the street car to City Park? How far of a walk is it from where it lets off to the actual entrance of fairgrounds? Thanks.
    http://jazzfest.swagland.com/transport.html

Comment

How about the street car to City Park? How far of a walk is it from where it lets off to the actual entrance of fairgrounds? Thanks.
      The streetcar is the slowest way to the Fairgrounds, but it's a really lovely experience (it just seems so authentically, quintessentially "New Orleans") and drops you off about a 10 minute walk from the Fest entrance.

Everyone should ride the streetcar at least once in their lives....

Comment

Cabbies usually charge $5 per person.

Comment

what's the best way to get to the fairgrounds?Practice your instrument for 20 years and start a band.

Comment

So we are staying at the Avenue Plaza Resort on St Charles. Any suggestion on bets mode of transport from there?

Comment

Originally posted by canadianjohn View Post

i think you need...4 people in cab........best way...start off with 2 and pickup 2 more a long the way...make friends.....

Comment

It is left to me to say...

Practice, practice, practice!

?

Comment

For once I restrained myself from that one, BW. Glad to see someone couldn't himself though...

Comment

I walk there and back everyday from the Quarters and my krewe rents bikes to get back and forth. The walk really isn't bad on the way back and another chance to see the city.

Comment

Thanks for posting that.

From the Quarter House, my suggestion would be to walk the half block to Canal and get on the RTA city bus. You'll walk an extra 3-4 blocks when you get off (compared to Gray Line), but you'll save almost $15/person round trip.

Originally posted by canadianjohn View Post
                      Originally posted by innertube View Post
                      i think you need...4 people in cab........best way...start off with 2 and pickup 2 more a long the way...make friends.....
                      So, the actual rule is "the greater of" $5/person or the meter fare. Depending where you start, it could go either way. Meter rate from the upper Quarter should be close to $15. Heading home, they'll fill the cabs with shares, so the $5 is pretty much guaranteed to anywhere downtown or the FQ. Plus tip.

Originally posted by pirate looks at -- View Post
                      So we are staying at the Avenue Plaza Resort on St Charles. Any suggestion on bets mode of transport from there?
                      From the Garden District, I'd probably just cab it. Fare should be in the neighborhood of $20. Public transit is cheaper, but you're looking at a transfer, 2 buses or streetcars, that may not be worth the hassle.
                      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

As always Swag you da ,an!

Comment

...or da man

Comment

Originally posted by Baconwrapped View Post
                            It is left to me to say...

Practice, practice, practice!

?

that was my first thought...which should scare you

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post
                              For once I restrained myself from that one, BW. Glad to see someone couldn't himself though...
                              Happy to be of service.

Comment

Working...
                              X