The Line-up for N.O. Pop - 1969

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Line-up for N.O. Pop - 1969

Just did a little winter cleaning and ran across the program from the New Orleans Pop Festival - Aug 31 - Sep 1, 1969. That weekend was my first over night outdoor music fest.

The lineup:
    White Fox, Snowrabbit, Deacon John and the Electric Soul Train (Deac has played at every JazzFest since then), Whizbang, Axis, Sweetwater, Lee Michaels, Oliver, Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys, Spiral Staircase, It's A Beautiful Day, Country Joe and the Fish, Byrds, Youngbloods, Canned Heat, Pot Liquor, Chicago (Transit Authority), Tyrannosaurus Rex, Santana, Iron Butterfly, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead and Janis Joplin.

There's some instructions from the promoters of the event that caution the participants about behaving properly. The hippie movement was in the middle of it's war with the establishment and the promoters wanted this event to be a positive for the movement. "The Festival staff would like to remind you that there are people outside of this stadium who don't dig the sounds you'll hear this weekend, who don't like our hair, or our clothes, or our ideas and they're waiting for us to blow our cool. They want disorder. They want to prove to the world that we can't control ourselves. It's up to us to show these people that we will react in a peaceful manner without police beating our brains out. The news media of America is represented here--waiting for a chance to report to the country that we were unable to handle our own scene. Show them this weekend that they are wrong." We did. It was a total success. Very peaceful. That's the way that it was reported. We were very cool.

It goes on with this warning:
    "In case you haven't heard, narcotics are prohibited by federal and state law. Additionally, many people have become seriously ill at recent festivals because they purchased "bad" narcotics--improperly manufactured. We were told that one person died a few weeks ago at Woodstock due to improperly made acid puchased at the festival. Please do not consume narcotics at the festival; but, even more important, DO NOT BUY DRUGS--THEY MAY BE VERY DANGEROUS. Plain clothes detectives will be in the crowd. For your own safety, please avoid the obvious consumption of drugs."

I love that last sentence.

What a great report. And what a lineup!

Comment

My parents would not let me go to that, I think that after they let me see Hendrix here I had gone through enough changes for the time being. Many of my friends went though, and still talk about it. Talk about the great music and the slop...

TY, rope

Comment

Thanks

I was reminiscing with a friend about the NO Pop Festival in 1969. I was 16 at the time and made the trip with a couple of friends. For the life of me, I could not remember all of the line up. The groups I could remember were Santana, Country Joe and the Fish, Iron Butterfly, Oliver, Canned Heat and Janis Joplin. The rest of it is a blur.. With the exception of a sweet little Cajun lady I met there and the time I spent in NO and being very hungry. If it hadn't been for a few willing and drunk tourist on Bourbon St. some 27 cent bowls of Red Beans and Rice I would have starved to death..

Anyway, I found this post from Google search and wanted to Thank You for posting it. Brings back a lot of memories.

Comment

I really wanted to go to this but I'd just got back from Woodstock, had to start school(12th grade),and couldn't figure out how to pull it off. The big draws for me were Sweetwater, Cat Mother, the Airplane, the Byrds, and the Dead.

Comment

Dang!!! I thought Rope was back!

Anyway, I was there, many firsts for me: first time to drink (Boon'es Famr apple), first psychedilics (orange sunshine), first smoke ($8/ounce).

It was an amazing weekend in an amazing time. I bought the poster last year on ebay and it has the same warnings as Rope's program.

Comment

Originally posted by ibjamn View Post
              Dang!!! I thought Rope was back!

Anyway, I was there, many firsts for me: first time to drink (Boon'es Famr apple), first psychedilics (orange sunshine), first smoke ($8/ounce).

It was an amazing weekend in an amazing time. I bought the poster last year on ebay and it has the same warnings as Rope's program.
              Wish I had been there. OMG Jenn, Boone's Farm Apple & $8/ounce...those were the days. On second thought that cheap wine could really make you sick.

Comment

In 1969 I was 11 years old - so I did NOT try to attend this event... Not that I remember, anyway.

Sigh. The things I missed due to my dang parents!

Huh? What's that? I'm turning into my Dad now?

OK then.... Never mind.

p.s. Hey you kids: Get offa my lawn!!! And get a hair cut, for gosh sakes...

Comment

I thought rope was back too, jenn! But yyr, those were the days. $10 for an oz in 73, the year I graduated from high school. Of course it was half stems and seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
                    I thought rope was back too, jenn! But yyr, those were the days. $10 for an oz in 73, the year I graduated from high school. Of course it was half stems and seeds.
                    Dang...and I was thinking that $25 was good in '84. Yes, I was 2 when you all were there. Missed it all

Comment

$35 up here in Chi-town in 84.

Comment

I missed it too jerseygirl. But I'm catching up now!

Comment

Originally posted by freebo View Post
                          In 1969 I was 11 years old - so I did NOT try to attend this event... Not that I remember, anyway.

Sigh. The things I missed due to my dang parents!

Huh? What's that? I'm turning into my Dad now?

OK then.... Never mind.

p.s. Hey you kids: Get offa my lawn!!! And get a hair cut, for gosh sakes...
                          young whippersnappers!

Comment

And only $400 or more for an ounce of the good stuff nowadays. So they say.

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
                              And only $400 or more for an ounce of the good stuff nowadays. So they say.
                              OMG!!!!! That is insane!

Comment

Working...
                              X