Big Chief VIP Experience ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Chief VIP Experience ?'s

A couple of questions to help me decide if I should get Big Chief tix... It's a lot of money for me to spend, but my husband seems interested so I was thinking it might be a good gift.

1) "Seating is first-come, first-served"...how likely/frequent is it?

2) what does "semi-private access to a viewing area" at the Blues Tent mean? Where's the seating area for this pass? The Blues Tent seems crowded a lot - is that one that you are likely to get turned away?

3) What are the "complimentary light refreshments" that are served? Are there sodas there too?

4) Are there early entry or special entry access lines?

any other insight / comments on this pass would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks -
    Last edited by Dana; 12-12-2011, 10:47 PM. Reason: can't figure this out to edit..duh!

Originally posted by Dana View Post
    A couple of questions to help me decide if I should get Big Chief tix... It's a lot of money for me to spend, but my husband seems interested so I was thinking it might be a good gift.

1) "Seating is first-come, first-served"...how likely/frequent is it?

2) what does "semi-private access to a viewing area" at the Blues Tent mean? Where's the seating area for this pass? The Blues Tent seems crowded a lot - is that one that you are likely to get turned away?

3) What are the "complimentary light refreshments" that are served? Are there sodas there too?

4) Are there early entry or special entry access lines?

any other insight / comments on this pass would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks -
    The stands at the larger stages (Acura and Gentilly) are fairly large and I've never seen them turn people away.

Your area will be off to the side, usually a section of bleachers towards the back. It will depend on who you are there to see. I've seen the stands empty and I've seen them packed.

Usually a "treat" of the day. Ice cream sandwiches, zapp's chips, etc. No sodas are out but you can get some at the window (you can also order beer/wine)

If you opt for parking, yes, there are special lines. If you don't get parking you enter with everyone else but have in/out privs.

Comment

i've done it a few times over the years. i am wishy washy about it. the seating at the big stages has never been an issue and you have much easier access to bathroom stuff and no lines for coke/beer. the blues tent thing is nice too, and i recall one of my best experiences was in the separate section at congo. that said, on more than one occasion i had the big chief access and found myself in the crowd anyway. it doesnt really help you at places like the heritage stage where i seem to end up a lot.
      i found it most valuable when i had some older relatives with me. it does give you a guaranteed seat at many stages where that is often just not possible. i think these same relatives are going to go this year and they would not consider going without the big chief option. parking is a plus too, especially if you are one that might like to visit your car to get stuff over the course of the day.
      i think you should def do it once. maybe not twice. i didnt do it last year, and prob wont do it this year either.

Comment

I did it the first year it was offered (06?) and haven't done it since. The comments here are pretty accurate. The access is quite good for Congo Square and the Blues and Gospel tents. However, I found myself wanting to be in the crowd at Acura and Gentilly, and the seating areas for those are to the back and feel removed.

There always seemed to be seats available, and it is nice to get out of the sun. I remember a refreshment area in the grandstand - nothing elaborate, but a good place to chill out a bit, and clean restrooms as well. No small thing.

I would say that if your big motivation is comfort, (and ain't nothing wrong with that) it could be worth it. If you're the kind of person, though, that really wants to be mixing in the crowd and feeding off that energy, I would skip.

Comment

I Love the Brass Pass. Free fruit & iced coffee in the OZ tent & internet access.
          Also this pass is tax deductible, if you are an American. Unfortunatly this does not apply to us Canajuns. The pass is a real cool ticket keepsake as well.

Comment

Good info everyone..thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by resmp View Post
              I did it the first year it was offered (06?) and haven't done it since. The comments here are pretty accurate. The access is quite good for Congo Square and the Blues and Gospel tents. However, I found myself wanting to be in the crowd at Acura and Gentilly, and the seating areas for those are to the back and feel removed.

There always seemed to be seats available, and it is nice to get out of the sun. I remember a refreshment area in the grandstand - nothing elaborate, but a good place to chill out a bit, and clean restrooms as well. No small thing.

I would say that if your big motivation is comfort, (and ain't nothing wrong with that) it could be worth it. If you're the kind of person, though, that really wants to be mixing in the crowd and feeding off that energy, I would skip.
              DITTO!!

Comment

Love Brass Pass. Love Grand Marshal. Not as crazy about Big Chief.

Comment

yeah, after thinking it all through and weighing the money vs experience...i'm gonna pass on it this year. maybe some other time...we're going to pay better attention to the stage locations this year and may go for it next...
                  Thanks again for the info!

Comment

Seriously the Brass Pass supports WWOZ & well worth it.

Comment

The reasons we like Big Chief, in order of importance to us, are:

1. Protection from sun and r**n at Acura and Gentilly, when we want it
                      2. Reserved section with decent sight line at Blues tent- allows easy in and outs
                      3. Reserved section directly off stage at Congo square, with great sight line
                      4. Never a long walk or a wait for a real toilet or a drink
                      5. The lounge is kept nice and COOL, and the free Hubigs, ice cream sandwiches, etc are nice too
                      6. In and out's
                      7. When you enter fairgrounds from the Liuzza's side, there is a separate,short line for VIP pass holders.

We were planning to skip it this year, expecting to be spending only a couple hours a day at the fairgrounds, but the line-up changed our minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Swen View Post
                        The reasons we like Big Chief, in order of importance to us, are:

1. Protection from sun and r**n at Acura and Gentilly, when we want it
                        2. Reserved section with decent sight line at Blues tent- allows easy in and outs
                        3. Reserved section directly off stage at Congo square, with great sight line
                        4. Never a long walk or a wait for a real toilet or a drink
                        5. The lounge is kept nice and COOL, and the free Hubigs, ice cream sandwiches, etc are nice too
                        6. In and out's
                        7. When you enter fairgrounds from the Liuzza's side, there is a separate,short line for VIP pass holders.

We were planning to skip it this year, expecting to be spending only a couple hours a day at the fairgrounds, but the line-up changed our minds.

WAIT??? WHAT!?? HUBIGS???????

Comment

Originally posted by linza22 View Post
                          WAIT??? WHAT!?? HUBIGS???????
                          This changes EVERYTHING, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Swen View Post
                            This changes EVERYTHING, right?
                            well YEAH! HAHA!

Comment

Curious here. How did the lineup change your minds?

Comment

Working...
                              X