Big Chief VIP Experience ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swen View Post
    We were planning to skip it this year, expecting to be spending only a couple hours a day at the fairgrounds, but the line-up changed our minds.
    I was just watching the slide show on the main page and thinking about upgrading our tix this year. Just when you think it's going to repeat, it hits you with something else you know is gonna kill.

How's the sound at the main stages? Do the areas in the tents and at Congo get overly crowded?

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
      Curious here. How did the lineup change your minds?
      The lineup looks so good that we know we're gonna be spending alot of time at the fairgrounds again. So, worth the upgrade again for us.

Originally posted by Apostrophe (') View Post
      I was just watching the slide show on the main page and thinking about upgrading our tix this year. Just when you think it's going to repeat, it hits you with something else you know is gonna kill.

How's the sound at the main stages? Do the areas in the tents and at Congo get overly crowded?
      Last year- our first with the passes- we never once encountered significant crowding at ANY of the Big Chief seating areas. It was a particular treat to be able to scoot in and out of the Blues Tent in seconds through a private entrance, and to always have a seat there (higher on the bleacher if you want a better sight line.) This easy access, lack of crowding and "reserved" seating with decent sight lines can make the difference between actually going to hear the acts who you want to see there, and just giving up on the Blues tent because of its well-known problems.

Sound was good at Acura and Gentilly. As at all stages, the Big Chief seating areas are off to one side, but that's not a big problem sound-wise because the monitors are all blasting in mono and the seating areas are not so close to the stage that an imbalanced direct sound image overpowers the board mix from the monitors.
      Last edited by Swen; 01-20-2012, 07:12 PM.

Comment

As at all stages, the Big Chief seating areas are off to one side, but that's not a big problem sound-wise because the monitors are all blasting in mono and the seating areas are not so close to the stage that an imbalanced direct sound image overpowers the board mix from the monitors.
        Nice, glad to hear the sound is good. I'm not as worried about the positioning of the risers as their elevation above the crowd noise. Sounds like that's probably not an issue either though.

Big Chief is soooooo expensive. It might be worth it to me this year though.

Comment

Nice, glad to hear the sound is good. I'm not as worried about the positioning of the risers as their elevation above the crowd noise. Sounds like that's probably not an issue either though.

Big Chief is soooooo expensive. It might be worth it to me this year though.
          It IS expensive, Brian, and as you know the upgrade is by no means essential to having a great Fest experience. It does make some things much easier and more comfortable, though. If you're gonna be spending lots of time at the Jazz and Heritage stage, the gospel and jazz tents, the fais do do, etc, it probably wouldn't be AS worth the dough. However, if you're liking the lineups at the blues tent, Acura, Gentilly and Congo Square, it can make the experience of going back and forth between these stages MUCH easier. And if you tend to be direct-sun-phobic and rain-phobic like me, the upgrade is definitely a good investment. If you've got the dough available, it's definitely worth trying for a weekend, just to see how much of it's amenities you will or will not miss the next time out. On the other hand, you may feel that springing for VIP passes means that you're getting old. This is not a problem for me any more, because I KNOW I'm fucking old! If it's an issue for you, then consider staying young a little longer and turn away from the siren's song of creature comforts this time. Don't know if any of this helps...

Comment

I'm glad you guys enjoy it and can afford it but those damn grandstands take away so much room for the rest of us especially at Gentilly.

Ok, I'm done now.

Comment

if you're liking the lineups at the blues tent, Acura, Gentilly and Congo Square, it can make the experience of going back and forth between these stages MUCH easier.
              that's what was driving my interest for sure.

And if you tend to be direct-sun-phobic and rain-phobic like me, the upgrade is definitely a good investment.
              shade from the sun is definitely a huge plus for me.

On the other hand, you may feel that springing for VIP passes means that you're getting old.
              not at all. i relish getting older, even if i'm not maturing.

Originally posted by festivalgirl View Post
              those damn grandstands take away so much room for the rest of us especially at Gentilly.
              and that's really what pushed me to the precipice. the Gentilly lineup should be phenomenal this year, with one of my favorite live bands closing one night, but i've regained my senses with a little help from the dailies.

Comment

Originally posted by festivalgirl View Post
                I'm glad you guys enjoy it and can afford it but those damn grandstands take away so much room for the rest of us especially at Gentilly.

Ok, I'm done now.
                To be fair, they did move them last year and both ponds were partly sacrificed for the stands rather than "regular" space.

That said, I am not a big chief this year. I'm not as traumatized by the "green rooms" as I was upon my return last year I might, however, see if the Valentine Fairy can spring for some Grand Marshal tix...

Comment

and that's really what pushed me to the precipice. the Gentilly lineup should be phenomenal this year, with one of my favorite live bands closing one night, but i've regained my senses with a little help from the dailies.
                  Originally posted by rowEn View Post
                  To be fair, they did move them last year and both ponds were partly sacrificed for the stands rather than "regular" space.

That said, I am not a big chief this year. I'm not as traumatized by the "green rooms" as I was upon my return last year I might, however, see if the Valentine Fairy can spring for some Grand Marshal tix...
                  I just can't imagine spending that kind of money on a ticket, myself. (well, actually not just myself, is it - ouch, really hurts for two)

Now, if it included drinks, food and they did my laundry mid-week ....

To be fair, I spend more and more time at the smaller venues each year. The BNA's don't knock my socks off enough again this year. And I'm good with that!!

Comment

Big Chief

Well Dana, probably by now you have made your decision but I'll put my two cents worth in anyway. Last year was our first year. We only went the second weekend and got the big chief pass. The two best things about the pass are: 1.)You can usually manage to be in the shade which is important to me since my skin is quite fair and I get sun poisoning...2.)The bathrooms themselves are worth it!!!!! LOL

Look - I'm getting old and have no interest in schlepping blankets and folding chairs around with me all day. My friend said I wouldn't like the seats but I found them quite good especially compared to where she was sitting. Sure, you may get down and go have a dance in the crowd or whatever and there are many venues where the pass nets you nothing whatsoever but I still thought it was the way to go.

Comment

getting old

lol at Swen

At least some of us can admit that we are getting old and part of being old, fortunately (hopefully) is having the dough to spend on a bit of comfort.

That's right - comfart for old farts. And don't forget the nice bathrooms. I realize it is not so much of an issue for the men but it sure is nice for us broads. They keep them clean and don't forget to tip the attendants. All the folks that work there are super.

Comment

Working...
                      X