Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the event of rain . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • In the event of rain . . .

    I know the Fest goes on. But a friend has suggested that we may need some sort of specialized footwear . . . like shrimp boots or muck boots. On the other hand, we typically wear river runner type footwear (sandals, Teva brand or similar) which we figure we can hose off, if necessary.

    Suggestions for footwear or other rain related clothing tips? (Just want to "be prepared!")

  • #2
    Well, we try not to use the R word here.

    The one thing you don't want to wear if the forecast calls for r#in is flip flops or other non-secure footwear. They will stick in the mud and you'll step right out of them.

    Normally I go the washable sandal route on wet days, and do fine, but regretted it when last year's Fest turned out to be the muddiest anyone could ever remember.
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Steve bought over-boots from the Army Surplus store. Worked like a charm

      Comment


      • #4
        My Tevas worked for me last year in the mud and r%$#. However, one day was chilly and my feet got rather cold. That would be very untypical.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by festivalgirl View Post
          Steve bought over-boots from the Army Surplus store. Worked like a charm
          Thanks for reminding me. I need to find these for Doug this year. Just in case.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SweetOlive View Post
            Thanks for reminding me. I need to find these for Doug this year. Just in case.
            You can probably find them on line as well. Don't forget the rubber bands.

            Comment


            • #7
              I used nylon water shoes last year - they covered my whole foot and worked well. I just rinsed them
              in the tub when I got back to my hotel and they dried overnight.
              Speedo makes some for about $20....

              Comment


              • #8
                I bring 2 pairs of athletic shoes-Mizuno and New Balance. One pair are fairgrounds shoes. The others are out on the town shoes unless first pair gets wet. My favorite water gear is a big ass umbrella. You can deflect a lot of water with that thing.Some prefer ponchos. And fest has been washed out on a few rare occasions with a late start and I think one day there was no fest at all.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've done tennis shoes and they worked ok, definitely need to rinse off and have a spare for later, but last year was unsually cold so I borrowed a pair of r*@n boots and was so happy! Tall ones so you can walk through anything. And there was much debate last year about what the "anything" was that we were walking through! I picked up a used pair on ebay for $20.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BisqueBaby View Post
                    I've done tennis shoes and they worked ok, definitely need to rinse off and have a spare for later, but last year was unsually cold so I borrowed a pair of r*@n boots and was so happy! Tall ones so you can walk through anything. And there was much debate last year about what the "anything" was that we were walking through! I picked up a used pair on ebay for $20.
                    jazzfest is not for the squeamish.
                    do not bring shoes you love - you may have to throw them away.
                    i've had my shrimp boots fill with r@!n, that is why some people tape them to their pants.
                    most important thing is to keep dancing so you dont get stuck!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      There are very few hoses available for a rinse off, that I can remember. There is usually one in the WWOZ hospitality tent but you have to have a Brass Pass (or have a friend with one) to get in there. I can't think of any other ones around the grounds but you could probably fill an empty bottle from the water fountain and try to rinse with that.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Last year, we had to throw our sneakers away. We could not find cheap boots anywhere, resorted to plastic bags and rubber bands, which lasted about an hour, so we already have our K-Mart $10 rubber boots for this year which we believe will be a complete waste of $$$. Also recommend disposable ponchos from Walgreens or K-Marts. But again it ain't gonna fr&!@in' r%@n!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I told my newbies to bring an athletic sandal. Unless it's wet out those will work and can get hosed off and hung up to dry back at the house. Then pack comfy shoes for night and a pair of nice shoes for nicer clubs and restaurants.
                          When it's been wet I've been perfectly fine with my Bean Boots and a pair of hiking socks. Wellies give me blisters but my bean boots have been reliable even while hiking miles in the pouring rain.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JerryFest View Post
                            ...Also recommend disposable ponchos from Walgreens or K-Marts...
                            I try to stock up on these before Fest and if the forecast is iffy I pack a big handful. Pass them out as lagniappes if the sky leaks--you will make new friends and they will be profuse with their thanks!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JerryFest View Post
                              Last year, we had to throw our sneakers away. We could not find cheap boots anywhere, resorted to plastic bags and rubber bands, which lasted about an hour, so we already have our K-Mart $10 rubber boots for this year which we believe will be a complete waste of $$$. Also recommend disposable ponchos from Walgreens or K-Marts. But again it ain't gonna fr&!@in' r%@n!
                              Judging from this weeks weather, your money on rubber boots won't be wasted.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X