Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby advice for the Fest

Greetings Amigos -

Although this upcoming fest will be our seventh, this Fest will mark a new beginning for our family. JF 2008 will be the first (of many, we hope) with our daughter Amelia. She will be 9 months old and ready to get-down, when we arrive in NO for the second weekend.

Since we have done the fest a few times, we have a good idea of what to expect but we where hoping the kind folks on this board could offer up some advice on traveling and enjoying the fest with a wee little fest-goer.

We have a room booked at the Chateau Sonesta Hotel (the first time my wife and myself ended up in New Orleans (there is another story here but in an effort to keep it short I'll just say we were ran out of FL by Hurricane Earl) we ended up with a room at the Sonesta) so we saw it fitting that our daughters introduction follow the same road. The fact that mom and dad will be in the French Quarter and walking distance to most things helped make this decision also.

I have read a lot on this board about staying on Frenchman St (we have never done that before) any advice on staying on Frenchman as opposed to staying at the Sonesta?

Staying in the Quarter will present a challenge getting to the fest, any advice from parents that have experienced this before would be greatly appreciated. Is getting a rental the only option or what does one do with the car seat if public transportation is used?

Like I said we are really looking forward to this adventure and our daughters introduction to the most wonderful festival anywhere. We just want to be sure we have as many bases covered as possible to make her first little adventure a truly memorable experience. She will be amazed with all the sights, sounds, and smells that make New Orleans, New Orleans.

Thanks for any insight. Hope you are all having a fantabulous Thursday. Looking forward to Jazzfest 2008.
    Cheers!!

I'd probably stick with the Sonesta. I'm guessing with the infant, you'll not be hitting any smoky music clubs late at night, and proximity to the clubs is the big selling point for Frenchmen.

At the Fest, take it moderately. The big challenge for your daughter will be the heat and the sun. Don't hesitate to arrive late or leave early, or take a break in the air conditioned grandstand. An unopened cold cold water wrapped in a cloth or towel can help keep her cool.

Avoid sitting too close to the speakers. Small ears are sensitive.

And have fun!
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
      I'd probably stick with the Sonesta. I'm guessing with the infant, you'll not be hitting any smoky music clubs late at night, and proximity to the clubs is the big selling point for Frenchmen.

At the Fest, take it moderately. The big challenge for your daughter will be the heat and the sun. Don't hesitate to arrive late or leave early, or take a break in the air conditioned grandstand. An unopened cold cold water wrapped in a cloth or towel can help keep her cool.

And have fun!
      awwwww, that's good advice Swag....Chris Joseph and Jordanh have done fest with little ones quite a few times now...maybe they'll chime in with more info for ya....

Comment

Originally posted by Corona View Post
        awwwww, that's good advice Swag....Chris Joseph and Jordanh have done fest with little ones quite a few times now...maybe they'll chime in with more info for ya....
        Just shot them a quick e to check in on here if they can....

Comment

Taking kids, especially infants, is a real challenge. Not without its rewards, though. Looking back on it (just to be perfectly honest), I'm not sure I would have done it again. I was (and am) a fest regular...although every fest, and every experience, is different, the differences were magnified with little kids.

On the other hand, I'm glad that we took the kids anyway.

Swag brought up some useful tips/hints. Bring plenty of water for kids and parents. Make sure you find shade on occasion. Don't try to do everything you planned before you got to the fairgrounds. In fact, I would say quite the opposite: don't have a plan on who you want to see/what you want to do. The care of your child outweighs anything else.

For me, it was trying to remember to be grateful that I still got to go to Jazzfest, even with little kids. And to be even more grateful to be blessed with having little kids.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

And have fun!
            hey, that's advice for all of us!

Comment

I wonder what kind of sound minimizing head phones you can get for a 3 month old? We're certainly planning on sitting much further back than usual, but it seems it can still be pretty loud . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Amy Winette View Post
                I wonder what kind of sound minimizing head phones you can get for a 3 month old? We're certainly planning on sitting much further back than usual, but it seems it can still be pretty loud . . .
                i wonder if those high tech places like sharper image would have little baby headphones...ones that would be comfortable for a baby....

Comment

Originally posted by linza22 View Post
                  i wonder if those high tech places like sharper image would have little baby headphones...ones that would be comfortable for a baby....

http://www.zzounds.com/item--VICKIDP

Comment

Thanks dear! I wonder if a little baby will tolerate those, seems they don't like much on their heads

Comment

doubtful.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjoseph View Post
                        doubtful.
                        righto...but it was a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy Winette View Post
                          Thanks dear! I wonder if a little baby will tolerate those, seems they don't like much on their heads
                          Practice with the headphones before the fest. My sister did that with both of her boys and sun blocking hats, and after a few weeks of practice, they stopped ripping them off of their heads immediately. She would put the hat on them, and then give them a fun thing to keep them occupied.

Comment

Be very careful. Bluesgirl will eat your baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Wondering View Post
                              Be very careful. Bluesgirl will eat your baby.
                              How's the hubby? Or, should I say, how's life on the curb with the rest of the garbage?

Comment

Working...
                              X