Jazz Fest 2019 Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz Fest 2019 Questions

Hi there! We will be visiting New Orleans next spring and will be able to attend the first weekend of the Jazz Fest - our first time in New Orleans and to this festival. So excited! But of course, never having been there, we have a couple questions.
    We are looking at the VIP passes and are wondering if the Big Chief tickets are really worth the price. I do burn fairly easily and having some cover may be nice. Are the seats for Big Chief far back or is the viewing of the stages pretty good from where they are located? We are not the type of people that need to be right up from. But then, we have never had an issue sitting on the ground with a blanket or festival chair. Not sure how strong the sun gets in New Orleans at the end of April.
    We will be staying in the garden district at the Avenue Plaza Resort on Charles Street. I can't seem to find the route for the shuttle. Does anyone know if the festival VIP shuttle goes close to where we are staying? We really don't want to rent a vehicle during the festival. Is there Uber in New Orleans? Would that be a better way to go to and from the festival?
    Lastly, what would you suggest as some "must have" items to take with us to the festival? We usually go to smaller festivals and would love any tips you may have on going to such a large event.
    Thanks!

Hi Sue! I have an unofficial fan site for Jazzfest with lots of info for new folks, that you may find useful. http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

VIP is a judgement call, and of course depends on your finances, but I generally recommend first timers just get GA tickets. The Big Chief stands at the biggest stages are about halfway back on the lawn. Here's a view: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/vip.html

The sun can be very strong in New Orleans (latitude 30) in the spring. Whether or not you get VIP, put on good sunscreen and wear a brimmed hat. If your skin is especially sensitive, also bring an unbrella for shade.

You're wise to avoid renting a car. I don't know the exact route for the VIP shuttle, but the website says "downtown", which would generally not include the Garden District. You could take the St Charles streetcar to a downtown stop to get to the shuttle, I suppose. New Orleans does have Uber and Lyft, plus cabs of course. I'd guess a non-surge Uber ride to fest would run you $15-20. Heading home, expect surges and waits. One other option to look at is the RTA #91 city bus, that stops on the corner of St Charles & Jackson where your hotel is, and drops a few blocks from fest.
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SueMcK View Post
      We are looking at the VIP passes and are wondering if the Big Chief tickets are really worth the price. I do burn fairly easily and having some cover may be nice.
      Lastly, what would you suggest as some "must have" items to take with us to the festival?
      Thanks!
      It is our first JF since 1996 (couldn't miss the 50th!).

Maybe instead of the Big Chief Pass, you could look into Brass Passes. That gives you access to the WWOZ hospitality tent, water, fruit, iced coffee and SHADE. Since you're only attending one weekend, create a post on this message board to see if you can get someone to 'split' them with you; you likely will find someone attending the second weekend and looking for a split.

Get a parasol!! A cute little parasol and a hat has saved my life in the relentless sun (we usually attend FQF)!

Must haves include an empty water bottle, handi-wipes, sunscreen, lip balm and tissues. My husband likes to bring a small spritz bottle to cool his face and a bandana to soak and wrap around his neck.

You've come to the right place for advice! Look at Swag's site and if you have any questions, Threadheads are here to help!

Comment

Working...
      X