Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seating for the other stages? Advice for a first timer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Texanjazzlover. My advice is to skip the fest most days and concentrate on the night scene...that's where you'll find the best funk and jazz imo. I've been going both weekends for a few years and usually only hit the actual fest once or twice.

having said that I am not about to miss Herbie closing the jazz tent sunday...what a set that will be!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Montaigne Lover View Post
      Hey Texanjazzlover. My advice is to skip the fest most days and concentrate on the night scene...that's where you'll find the best funk and jazz imo. I've been going both weekends for a few years and usually only hit the actual fest once or twice.

having said that I am not about to miss Herbie closing the jazz tent sunday...what a set that will be!!!
      Thanks!

I'm just planning to go one day, the 2nd Sunday. I'm very fortunate that I have already seen all of the non-local jazz guys booked for this year at least once (in the case of Herbie, 5 times) before. I was very torn for a while between the first Sunday and the second but ultimately chose the second. The first was alluring because of the Marsalis family tribute. I actually can't stand Wynton's smugness but love the rest of the family (and haven't seen Ellis yet). Ultimately chose the second Sunday though because though I've seen Herbie, I haven't seen him with Terrace Martin yet. Tried to win tickets to see the ACL taping here in Austin but didn't get in. Also, the other acts that day - Delfeayo, Kermit Ruffins, Dr. Michael White, a tribute to Alvin Batiste seem like very good jazz sets. Not jazz, but have also been wanting to see Buddy Guy for a few years now. Also, although the Meters aren't really a group any more, big fan of their stuff so would be cool to see George Porter. Allen Toussaint tribute should be pretty cool too.

I'm definitely planning to explore the city more - first time in NOLA and have been dying to go for years- including night shows if there's any 2nd weekend that fit my interests; so far, none but still early.

Comment

Originally posted by TEXANJAZZLOVER View Post

I'm definitely planning to explore the city more - first time in NOLA and have been dying to go for years- including night shows if there's any 2nd weekend that fit my interests; so far, none but still early.
        Keep an eye on the evening schedules for Snug Harbor - they put on some great jazz acts and, after a day of sun and general Fest full-on-ness, it makes for a quite civilised end to the day!

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
          ... At Econmy Hall, traditional jazz rules. Economy has seats and a dance area off to the side. Secondline dancing during the music is a thing at that tent. ..
          Economy Hall is my tent to go-to when I'm not sure what to hear or have a break in my schedule. And, to be honest, is where I go to catch a nap (Fest Naps are awesome).

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice. And also being so nice about it. A lot of groups aren't so nice to new people; great to see this isn't one of them.
            The Fais Do Do stage is awesome. Definitely check that out. And the Gospel Tent.

Comment

Fais dodo has great Zydeco, outdoors, I think there’s a grandstand set up to the side if I remember correctly. If you’re new to Nola music, a little Zydeco is important

Comment

Skip the fest ? Why come during jazzfest ? Maybe best to come another time when there’s less crowds. Jazzfest on thurs fri is less crowded, and a great chance to sample the food with less lines

Comment

Nah.... go to Fest, wander around & discover new acts that you can see later at nite

Comment

Thanks!

I'm just planning to go one day, the 2nd Sunday. I'm very fortunate that I have already seen all of the non-local jazz guys booked for this year at least once (in the case of Herbie, 5 times) before. I was very torn for a while between the first Sunday and the second but ultimately chose the second. The first was alluring because of the Marsalis family tribute. I actually can't stand Wynton's smugness but love the rest of the family (and haven't seen Ellis yet). Ultimately chose the second Sunday though because though I've seen Herbie, I haven't seen him with Terrace Martin yet. Tried to win tickets to see the ACL taping here in Austin but didn't get in. Also, the other acts that day - Delfeayo, Kermit Ruffins, Dr. Michael White, a tribute to Alvin Batiste seem like very good jazz sets. Not jazz, but have also been wanting to see Buddy Guy for a few years now. Also, although the Meters aren't really a group any more, big fan of their stuff so would be cool to see George Porter. Allen Toussaint tribute should be pretty cool too.

No, no, no.... go several days. If you go one day, you'll want to go more

Comment

Originally posted by pberman View Post

Skip the fest ? Why come during jazzfest ? Maybe best to come another time when there’s less crowds. Jazzfest on thurs fri is less crowded, and a great chance to sample the food with less lines
                      Exactly. There are some great night shows during Fest, but most are more expensive, more crowded and often less rehearsed than non Fest night shows. I don't know why anyone would come to Jazz Fest and not go to Jazz Fest. If night shows are your thing, scour wwoz/Offbeat for a good week and come on down.

Comment

Thanks!

Spectacularly bad decision to only go one day. Go every day you can. Jazz Fest is great. A blast. Utterly unique.

Comment

I agree that you should go to every JF day you can. The major reason I stopped going to night shows is (with the exception of the theater shows) you have to stand constantly. Someone is giving bad advice. Lots of options at Fest to take a break and have a seat and hear music you won't hear anywhere else.

Comment

Apostrophe and Amy always skipped fest I believe, until recent years. Always did night shows. Not sure of their plans now with the bambino being born last year.

Comment

I would strongly recommend going 2nd Friday if you really want to enjoy 2nd Sunday. You can spend that Friday getting a sense of the place, how to get around, the allure of things you didn't know you really actually like, the different food options, the vibe of the place. And, there are some unique acts on that Friday -- Cha Wa, Trumpet Mafia, Tipitina Interns, and many others, that seem to fit your interests and may open you to what makes JF special. Then, come Sunday, you'll have a better sense of the place, and be ready to get around and soak in the magic of that day -- the options on Sacred Sunday can be overwhelming. that weekend, the Stones day is, well, not really JF at all and just a one off so not the best first JF experience, and Saturday is underwhelming, and a great day to see the city -- with plenty of trad jazz options early in the day at the smaller clubs. So, if you aren't all in, I would highly recommend doing a two day JF weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Molo View Post

I would strongly recommend going 2nd Friday if you really want to enjoy 2nd Sunday. You can spend that Friday getting a sense of the place, how to get around, the allure of things you didn't know you really actually like, the different food options, the vibe of the place. And, there are some unique acts on that Friday -- Cha Wa, Trumpet Mafia, Tipitina Interns, and many others, that seem to fit your interests and may open you to what makes JF special. Then, come Sunday, you'll have a better sense of the place, and be ready to get around and soak in the magic of that day -- the options on Sacred Sunday can be overwhelming. that weekend, the Stones day is, well, not really JF at all and just a one off so not the best first JF experience, and Saturday is underwhelming, and a great day to see the city -- with plenty of trad jazz options early in the day at the smaller clubs. So, if you aren't all in, I would highly recommend doing a two day JF weekend.
                                Good point about food. You need several days to try all the good stuff....

Comment

Working...
                                X