Camera restrictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera restrictions

Is there any restriction on cameras with removable and telephoto lenses?

No restrictions unless you have a Grand Marshal VIP ticket. Detachable lenses are allowed into the fest and may be used anywhere except inside the GM area.
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Thatís what I love about Jazzfest! No camera restrictions. Have fun! Last year I had a photo pit pass for the second weekend. My stage assignments were Jazz & Heritage Stage and Economy Hall with access to other stages as long as the artist didnít close off the photo pit. Some artists limited it open to the first three songs only. It was a great experience however I did not apply this year as it does limit you somewhat to be where you want, when you want.

Here Is my homepage that includes my pics from 2018 Jazzfest:

https://luxproofimages.smugmug.com/

Last edited by Thraak; 01-18-2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

With a footnote. In 2017 at Gentilly gate, I was denied entrance for having a camera in my bag. Not a video camera, a simple Nikon, no fancy big lenses. One of the people working the gate was on a megaphone and loudly annoucing "no cameras." Ridiculous. I tried explaining that iíve been going to JF for 20 years, that this is not the rule, the only prohibition is video and audio recording equipment (which is what the signs and pre-recorded announcements at the gates clearly state) but i was told "that's the rule this year." I was not the only one turned away. (I went to another line and made it through, but have not brought a camera to the fest since --for me, not worth the aggravation). Just as with airlines, if you get an irrational person at the gate, there is nothing you can do.

Comment

Last edited by Thraak; 02-09-2019, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Zen, it is always helpful to carry bribe money, 10 or 20 will work. They tried that on me a ten worked fine

Comment

PatNChrisAZ ó

interesting thought. Don't think it would have worked in this case, but who knows? It was a supervisor standing a few feet behind the inspection stations who was loudly proclaiming this over a megaphone. I couldnít physically get to him to talk (or slip money) and he seemed to have the people working the inspection tables cowering. And at the end of the day, I donít care all that much ó life is too short to argue with people abusing their petty authority, or to pay them off. IMHO.

Comment

Would i have any trouble with a gopro?

Comment

Originally posted by Firsttimer View Post
                  Would i have any trouble with a gopro?
                  I would expect that would be against the rules, since it records video. I know that phones do as well, but they really can't police that very well.

Comment

GoPro's are so small, i'd just throw it in the bottom of the pack or jacket pocket, should be fine. Every cell phone and SLR camera records video too. If i can get a pint of rum in every day a GoPro should be easy...

Comment

Originally posted by Tye 1on View Post
                      GoPro's are so small, i'd just throw it in the bottom of the pack or jacket pocket, should be fine. Every cell phone and SLR camera records video too. If i can get a pint of rum in every day a GoPro should be easy...

Comment

Yesterday was the first time after attending every JazzFest since Katrina that I have had a person at the entrance gate tell me I could not take a "professional" camera with a detachable lens in unless I had a press pass or was a festival designated photographer. For the past 8+ years I have been at the fest the full 7 days and have taken my Nikon camera, often with multiple lens, every single day. I have never had anyone say I couldn't bring it in. I had been dropped off at the fest so couldn't take it back to my car, and I wasn't about to leave it to be held for me anywhere. After the manager at the gate called his supervisor, I was allowed to take it in. I have looked for any information on the official site about camera restrictions. The only thing I have found refers to video equipment and a post that the restriction was intended only for VIP Grand Marshal ticket holders. Heading to the fest today I am trying to decide whether to take my camera or not. Taking pictures at the fest has been a big part of enjoying the time and savoring the memories. I can accommodate if necessary, but it is frustrating knowing that the vast majority of cell phones that walk through the gate can and are making AV recordings of the performances, etc. Any information about what the actual restrictions/guidelines are would be most welcomed.

Comment

Relax. You just got in the wrong line. You know...the one with the employee actually doing their job by the book. Just try another line next time. Enjoy and post your pics !!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

They're not going by the book, they're going against it! I took my camera every day, no questions. But, one day second weekend I had a power bar and another snack item and got the "No outside food" nonsense from a checker. I protested loudly and demanded the supervisor, who waved me through. The training is either inadequate, ignored, or both. Don't stand for it!

Comment

Working...
                              X