Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What shows/concerts have you recently attended?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Saturday: Safety Harbor Songfest, including Josh Ritter, Larkin Poe, and Fantastic Negrito. During FN I was thinking "This is the best show I've seen since....I saw him here a year ago!"
    Sunday: caught the last set of the Tampa Bay Blues Fest--Delbert McClinton. Hoping he'd do 'B Movie Boxcar Blues,' he didn't.
    Wednesday: The Revivalists. Bren didn't want to hear that David Shaw had a man bun--she swore it was a pony tail.
    Last night: Yes Darling. Ryan Montbleau and Hayley Jane, really great show. Played as music/theater with the couple having supposedly 'private' conversations between songs.

Comment

• ANDERS OSBORNE WITH TODD PARK MOHR
      MATADOR
      SNARKY PUPPY
      BRIA SKONBERG
      PRESERVATION HALL JAZZ BAND ( FANTASTIC!)

Comment

• I went to the James Brown Dance Party at Baltimore's Soundstage last night. It was really fun to get down and shake it for a while! I thought the band was bordering on wedding band though so I left after the first set. Still though, it was fun!

Comment

• Friday night, we caught Dangermuffin at a house concert and had a wonderful time checking out something new, or at least new to us. The band is from South Carolina, which they reminded us of again and again, for some reason. Their mix of Americana, folk and jam music, including a Dead cover or two, was enjoyable and very danceable. Our friends inadvertently chose a place to dance in front of the audience next to the stage, where they could be seen in the stage lights while the band was playing and provided extra entertainment for the second half of the show, once it got dark.

They're playing in northern California this week and will be at the Torch Club on Thursday and the Strawberry Music Festival on the weekend. We may be seeing them again soon!

Comment

• I’ve caught Dangermuffin a few times, nice guys all - very self-contained (this I know because I was working stage crew at Strawberry last month), even talked about a farm-to-fork Charleston restaurant my son-in-law’s brother opened.

But I’m writing today about “Jethro Tull”, on tour now with a 50-year retrospective. After all of the comments about David Byrne’s Fest set, I’m going to have to deflate another bubble around another geezer sacred-cow. Suffice to say that I was about 90% confident about the journeyman-but-not-recognizable backing band playing their parts... and a bit less confident about how much of the rest of the show has been augmented with samples, riffs, vocal, etc. was it entertaining? Yep. Ian Anderson has serious issues with vocal pitch & breathing, which put some of the flute work behind a figurative 8-ball for me. He’s 70+. As was the vivacious woman next to me (my friend used the word “brassy” to describe her, but I mentioned that he’d be lucky to have that energy at 65). Her 50-yr-old son & his fiancée took her to the “concert”. I should’ve taken cue from her and just put my querying eye in check and bopped in my seat, loving the show without over-thinking it.

Comment

• I did not know Martin Barre had left the band. I last saw them in 1982 for the 'Broadsword and the Beast' tour with a stage show that was even sillier than David Byrne's.

Comment

• I saw Wreckless Eric last night. He was on my bucket list because he was part of the 1977 Live Stiffs tour with Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds and others. Is an interesting story: https://rocknrollroutemaster.com/201...e-stiffs-live/

He played only a little of the old stuff; has a new release that sounded good live. I bought the disc but haven't played it yet. He's opinionated and grumpy which was entertaining. Did some (maybe too much) one-man punk guitar with feedback and fuzz.

If you've heard the Live Stiffs album it's Eric that whines: "aww, my guitar doesn't work" at the start of his set. He broke a string and had to stop and change it last night; was hoping for a reprise but it didn't happen.

Comment

• I saw Eric and Amy a few years ago. It was a good show.

Comment

• Originally posted by ice nine View Post
                    I saw Eric and Amy a few years ago. It was a good show.
                    That's right; he's married to Amy Rigby.

Comment

• Here's Amy and Eric doing one of Amy's songs.

Last edited by ice nine; 06-13-2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• I went to the WTMD studios today to see a live set of The Record Company. Really enjoyed it. They decided to make it acoustic to fit the setting so the songs were a bit modified to accommodate that. Enjoyed it very much.

Comment

• 1) Samantha Fish did a great show in Pittsnurgh. I had never been to the club she played at before and it was quei the experience. It reminded me of the clubs you see in the movies with chickenwire separating the stage from the audience.

2) Went to a house concert with singer/songwriter Dan Navarro. Nice voice and great songs. He co-wrote Pat Benatar's 'We Belong'.

Comment

Working...
                          X