Rock Documentaries.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Documentaries.

We love rock documentaries and have watched so many of them that some days it feels like we’re trying to get a doctorate in rock and roll.
    We’ve watched documentaries about big bands as well as the obscure and are always looking for recommendations.

We just watched a new one making the rounds on Showtime; “If I Leave Here Tomorrow” about, surprise, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Admittedly, I have never been a fan and have a real dislike for a couple of their most famous songs*, so you wouldn’t think I’d enjoy spending an hour and a half watching a documentary about them, but it was actually really, really good! I do suggest turning on the captions, both because of the mumbling and the southern accents that are so thick they can be cut with knives.

The Edwards give it two thumbs up.

So, what rock documentaries do you recommend and where, amongst the myriad of platforms, can we find them.

*I call it the “Brown Eyed Girl” Syndrome; when a song (or a band) that you initially (maybe) adored has been played to death on the radio and by every cover-band that can scrape up the money for a guitar. Hey! This may be a good future thread; stay tuned!!
    Last edited by CEfromLA; 08-19-2018, 08:20 PM.

I'm redoing our floors and the tv is down, so....I have been watching a lot of doc's on YouTube. Ken Burns, Jazz and a Live Aid doc were both really good. I'll try and think of a few more.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. Will watch the Skynyrd doc this week.

Comment

Just watched the love letter to Ronnie Van Zandt on Showtime and then got this news. Miss those guys.
        King, who grew up in Southern California, co-wrote "Sweet Home Alabama."

Comment

Lots of great documentaries on music lately. It seems to be the thing to do to make one.

Comment

Or write a book. Just got Jorma's from the library.

Comment

Saw the doc on the Wrecking Crew while on vacation. The L.A. studio musicians behind so many classic songs. A worthwhile watch.

Comment

I liked the obvious respect they had for Brian Wilson, with the great Carol Kaye demonstrating how he came up with bass lines even she wouldn't have thought of.

Comment

Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
                  Saw the doc on the Wrecking Crew while on vacation. The L.A. studio musicians behind so many classic songs. A worthwhile watch.
                  It was great! Same for "Funk Brothers" (Motown studio band) & "Muscle Shoals" (Stax/Volt studio band after Booker T & the MGs)

Comment

Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
                    I'm redoing our floors and the tv is down, so....I have been watching a lot of doc's on YouTube. Ken Burns, Jazz and a Live Aid doc were both really good. I'll try and think of a few more.
                    What's the name of the Live Aid Doc? Would like to se it.

Comment

Live Aid doc made me question where all the money went, never got into it, it was great. Best one is 20 feet from Stardom.

Comment

Working...
                      X