Comment

Originally posted by cp_deb View Post

Did not know that.
      https://expo.nola.com/life-and-cultu...locations.html

Comment

Neat! Thanks.

Comment

We watched a couple this weekend....

We started out with ''Scott Walker: 30th Century Man". He passed away recently and I had read about this doc in his obit.
          I knew the Walker Brothers song, "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore", but other than that, we went in pretty blind.
          Yikes! What a story; Scott Walker went from being a teen (ish) idol in the UK to doing very 'unusual' avant-garde stuff (the meat-punching scene was oddly disturbing). It was really weird and kind of dark (but not uninteresting). (on Amazon Prime)

After that, we needed a palate-cleanser, so we watched ''The Dirt"; pretty much what I expected (we used to run into Nikki Sixx at a local bar years ago). Made me glad I grew up in the '70s Laurel Canyon era rather than the '80s.

After that, we could have used a palate-cleanser from the palate cleanser.

Comment

Jeff Beck: Still on the Run, via Showtime. Came out in December. I liked that one.

Comment

Any love for Heavy Metal Parking Lot?

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/th...the-1758026762

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Hornman View Post
                Any love for Heavy Metal Parking Lot?

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/th...the-1758026762
                That was cool. Looks like my old gang from high school. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Anyone else see Leaving Neverland on HBO? That was a heavy film. Sadly, it confirms what we always suspected.

Comment

Originally posted by Molo View Post
                    Jeff Beck: Still on the Run, via Showtime. Came out in December. I liked that one.
                    Watched it last night. It was good; thanks for the tip!

Comment

Saw the Big Star doc last night, 'Nothing Can Hurt Me'. A little disjointed, but worth the watch. They touch on the Memphis scene in the 60's and 70's, Ardent Studio and Jim Dickenson.

Comment

Pirate Radio is not a documentary, but it is one of the funniest movies set in the rock n' roll milieu.
                        Last edited by ice nine; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Started watching Wu Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men on Showtime this weekend. Where once edgy, they seem so mainstream now they are almost...quaint. The individual players have interesting background stories, though.

Comment

So technically not a rock doc but a blues doc: Satan and Adam. Just saw it last night at a local listening room as part of a free monthly music movie series. The title subject Satan (Sterling Magee) was at the screening. We sang Happy Birthday to him before the film started (it's this week, 83 iirc). I think a lot of THs will enjoy this; I believe it's coming to Netflix soon.

Synopsis (with spoilers): Blues guitarist/singer Magee recorded on Ray Charles's label and toured with James Brown and King Curtis in the '60s. Became disillusioned with music industry; disappears. Starts busking on Harlem streets in the '80s. A young white guy, Princeton grad Adam Gussow, stumbles upon him and sits in with his harmonica, starting a multi-decade partnership.

U2 come across the pair; they appear for a short clip in the documentary Rattle and Hum. Get a gig opening for Bo Diddley, then a certain Mr. Quint Davis discovers them and books them for Jazz Fest 1991. A few more years of middling success and then Magee has a nervous breakdown and disappears again.

He ends up with family here in St. Pete FL, then in a nursing home. Caretaker at the home hears rumor he has some music background and Googles him. Gets him a guitar for stimulation and hooks him up with local harmonica player TC Carr. Meantime Adam has become a professor at Ole Miss. He reunites with Magee and writes a book. Quint books the pair for Fest 2013. Magee last performed in 2016 at his birthday party.

The film has been 30 years in the making with footage from the Harlem days and all the events that followed. Interviews with Quint and Harry Shearer (and The Edge and Al Sharpton). Footage from both Fest appearances. Brief shots of the crowd in the Blues Tent in 2013; I think I saw Michaelino. Probably other THs to be spotted.

So it's getting near the end of the movie and there's a shot of the front door of the very club we're in. That was momentarily confusing; was it over? Then the last scene is Sterling on stage for the last time while being presented with his birthday cake--and the shot is almost exactly where I was sitting! Whoa!

Comment

A couple of links:
                              http://satanandadamfilm.com/
                              https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/11/m...am-review.html

Comment

Yeah Interesting story. I was in the blues tent, and he also did a gig at Little Gem (put on by Marc stone, I believe). Sadly, I got there really late and only caught a couple of numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X