Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Grateful Dead.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • From FB. (Link below)

    i don't wanna talk about where I was or how those feelings come right back when I think of it. I spent some time looking through Jay Blakesberg's pics on Instagram this morning. I wanted to find a picture that made me feel happy... Warm and fuzzy inside, if you will. This shot says everything I'm needing today.

    The photo, with Carlos Santana, was taken at the Henry Kaiser Auditorium in Oakland, January 23, 1988. The show, Blues for Salvador, was an incredible night of music featuring The following musicians:
    Jerry
    Bobby
    Caribbean All Stars
    Bonnie Raitt
    Tower of Power
    Boz Scags
    and my personal favorite band, along with the Dead, NRBQ

    There are several reasons why this show is so special to me. As you can see in the pic, we've got a happy, healthy Jerry. Looks like maybe he and Weir had just gotten back from one of their Hawaiian vacations. I was 7 months pregnant with my son and it was at this show that I knew I was having a boy. I can remember saying to my ex, "If this isn't a boy, we're in trouble." The baby was jamming hard that night!! And I got to see my two favorite bands, the Dead and the Q, sharing the stage. I had gotten into both bands around the same time in 1978 and have loved them since. Happy to say they're both still making great music!

    This was also the night I was given my nickname, StaceyQ. But that's another story, as this is already long enough. I have to mention one of the funniest parts of the show was when Jerry, Bobby and the Q were sharing the stage and went into Johnny B. Goode. NRBQ's bass player, Joey Spampinato, had no idea that this was a song Bobby sang so when it came time to sing the first verse, Joey started singing. Bobby shot him a look like "Yo, my man, that's MY song." Maybe you had to be there but it was really funny to me. Years later when sharing memories of that night with Joey, he tells the story exactly the way I remember it.

    At any rate, Jerry: I love and miss you more than words can tell. I thank you for the lifelong family you helped to create for so many of us. You were a beacon of light for so many and you know our love will not fade away!!

    p.s Thanks, Jay, for being the archivist for that special moment in time. I love looking at pics from back in the day. I never know who I'll find but the memories always make me smile.
    For anyone interested, here's a link to download the show: https://www.google.com/amp/s/themidn...ca-012388/amp/

    Comment


    • Very interesting.
      Why a new generation of heads—musicians, visual artists, and other seekers—are turning to the sounds and styles of the world's most freewheeling band.

      Comment


      • Cool.
        On Saturday night, the Grateful Dead's Bob Weir received a Lifetime Achievement in the Arts Award at Orange County, CA's Chapman University.

        Comment


        • The Wolf Bros shows have been pretty interesting. This one has some cool covers, including neil Young's Down By The River. This show features Michaela Davis on harp.
          1st Set (76:37)Jack StrawGonesvilleMe and My UnclePeggyODeep Elem BluesAltheaLoose Lucy *Bird Song2nd Set (86:43)Easy To SlipTwo DjiinAll Along The...

          Comment


          • Wish I was going tonight. Looks unlikely now.
            John Mayer made his first West Coast appearance with Joe Russo's Almost Dead, sitting in with the band for their second set and encore at The Wiltern.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
              From FB. (Link below)

              i don't wanna talk about where I was or how those feelings come right back when I think of it. I spent some time looking through Jay Blakesberg's pics on Instagram this morning. I wanted to find a picture that made me feel happy... Warm and fuzzy inside, if you will. This shot says everything I'm needing today.

              The photo, with Carlos Santana, was taken at the Henry Kaiser Auditorium in Oakland, January 23, 1988. The show, Blues for Salvador, was an incredible night of music featuring The following musicians:
              Jerry
              Bobby
              Caribbean All Stars
              Bonnie Raitt
              Tower of Power
              Boz Scags
              and my personal favorite band, along with the Dead, NRBQ

              There are several reasons why this show is so special to me. As you can see in the pic, we've got a happy, healthy Jerry. Looks like maybe he and Weir had just gotten back from one of their Hawaiian vacations. I was 7 months pregnant with my son and it was at this show that I knew I was having a boy. I can remember saying to my ex, "If this isn't a boy, we're in trouble." The baby was jamming hard that night!! And I got to see my two favorite bands, the Dead and the Q, sharing the stage. I had gotten into both bands around the same time in 1978 and have loved them since. Happy to say they're both still making great music!

              This was also the night I was given my nickname, StaceyQ. But that's another story, as this is already long enough. I have to mention one of the funniest parts of the show was when Jerry, Bobby and the Q were sharing the stage and went into Johnny B. Goode. NRBQ's bass player, Joey Spampinato, had no idea that this was a song Bobby sang so when it came time to sing the first verse, Joey started singing. Bobby shot him a look like "Yo, my man, that's MY song." Maybe you had to be there but it was really funny to me. Years later when sharing memories of that night with Joey, he tells the story exactly the way I remember it.

              At any rate, Jerry: I love and miss you more than words can tell. I thank you for the lifelong family you helped to create for so many of us. You were a beacon of light for so many and you know our love will not fade away!!

              p.s Thanks, Jay, for being the archivist for that special moment in time. I love looking at pics from back in the day. I never know who I'll find but the memories always make me smile.
              For anyone interested, here's a link to download the show: https://www.google.com/amp/s/themidn...ca-012388/amp/
              I was at that show. Tremendous. Wayne Shorter also played with Carlos and Jerry.
              Last edited by Jim; 11-11-2018, 02:08 PM.

              Comment


              • Surfing on the web and went down this "rabbit hole". Dig it!!! From the epic Cornell show. The Dancin in the Street is one of Jerry's finest moments (imho) and Donna actually sounds very good at this show.

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1SGMAZ9GKw
                Last edited by barrymojo; 11-21-2018, 03:52 PM.

                Comment


                • Tour dates for Dead and Co are leaking so be ready for summer tour announcement probably tomorrow. Right now, Boulder, Folsom Field is July 5 and 6. (Jigh Sierra week).

                  I am fucking amazed I am sitting here thinking about JazzFest (depending on announcement, I am going to make an effort to make it) summer tour, High Sierra, Burning Man and buying seeds for my garden. I am absolutely amazed. I feel better than I have in three years too.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
                    Tour dates for Dead and Co are leaking so be ready for summer tour announcement probably tomorrow. Right now, Boulder, Folsom Field is July 5 and 6. (Jigh Sierra week).

                    I am fucking amazed I am sitting here thinking about JazzFest (depending on announcement, I am going to make an effort to make it) summer tour, High Sierra, Burning Man and buying seeds for my garden. I am absolutely amazed. I feel better than I have in three years too.
                    Good to hear, Benny.

                    Comment


                    • So happy to hear you are feeling well Benny. I hope you can make it to fest so we can finally meet you!

                      Comment


                      • Great review of Bob and The Wolf Bros Beacon show. I heard most of the tour and it was pretty damn good. Interesting to hear Weir play alone on guitar and play some leads too.
                        “Never miss a Sunday show.” It’s a phrase that Deadheads, Phish Phans, and the like have been saying for decades. Ironically, Bob Weir and Wolf Bros only Sunday gig for this Fall tour was their first night at the Beacon, but by the end of the night it was apparent why the phrase has stuck …

                        Comment


                        • Bumpin for Jordan.

                          Comment


                          • Bumpin for Jerry.

                            Comment


                            • Man the past couple of days have been a regular moronathon. The pre sale shit and everyone freaking the fuck out over summer tour tix. What a bunch of macaroons. Relax. FUCK TICKETBASTARD. Stop playing their fucking game. Ill wait, probably day of show, and I'll have better seats than these fucking ignoramus's.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
                                Man the past couple of days have been a regular moronathon. The pre sale shit and everyone freaking the fuck out over summer tour tix. What a bunch of macaroons. Relax. FUCK TICKETBASTARD. Stop playing their fucking game. Ill wait, probably day of show, and I'll have better seats than these fucking ignoramus's.
                                For Dead and Company ? Are people that drunk on nostalgia or is it the John Mayer fans ?? I enjoyed the one show I saw in New Orleans. It was nice to see Billy and Mickey again, plus George Porter sat in, but still....

                                I tried to get McCartney tickets through Ticketbastard, but couldn't get past the bad taste left in my mouth from them scalping there own tickets. I'm with you. Fuck em.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X