• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
    Liberty
    Lazy River Road
    So Many Roads

All classic GD in my opinion. Great songs !!
    I didn’t hate those. Didn’t love them, either. Also didn’t hate “Way To Go Home.” But “Standing on the Moon” is probably the last Dead song I’d place among the classics. Maybe “Foolish Heart” comes close. The rest of this collection is missing only “Victim or the Crime” and “Picasso Moon” to be the tops of the bottom list for me.

Comment

• 'So Many Roads' is one of Jerry's and Hunters masterpieces, imo. LOVE 'Foolish Heart' !!

I only wish they could have gone into the studio with the strongest of the batch and put out a proper studio album. Hire an outside producer like T Bone Burnett or Daniel Lanois. Do some songs stripped down or acoustic like Working Man's Dead. I think it would have made a great album.

Liberty
      Eternity ( put everyone on vintage gear )
      Lazy River Road ( acoustic with Jerry on pedal steel )
      Way to go Home
      Wave to the Wind
      Corrina ( back to the vintage gear )
      Days Between
      Childhoods End
      So Many Roads

Comment

• Some real fuzzy looking characters out there in the audience in this video. My goodness you old Dead aficionados are an odd looking lot. Mothers warn your children.....

or is it too late?

https://youtu.be/npiM5g08jvE

Comment

• Bump.
          Last edited by Marignygregg; 07-03-2020, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• I support this thread.

Every single Dicks Picks, in separate zip files
            https://www.mediafire.com/folder/g0i...ck's_Picks

Comment

• Lengthy piece on when Bobby and Pigpen were 'fired' from the band. From Deadbase.

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2011/03/1968-firing.html

Comment

• 1989 interview with Jerry re: psychedelics.

Jerry Garcia: Portrait of an Artist as a Tripper

https://relix.com/articles/detail/je...eid=e703e56e5d

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonDavid View Post
                  1989 interview with Jerry re: psychedelics.

Jerry Garcia: Portrait of an Artist as a Tripper

https://relix.com/articles/detail/je...eid=e703e56e5d
                  Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Another good piece in Relix:

Like a Lighthouse in an Ocean Storm”: Billy Strings on Jerry Garcia

https://relix.com/articles/detail/li...-jerry-garcia/

Which led me to the documentary Grateful Dawg, about Jerry Garcia’s collaborations with David Grisman. Excellent! So great to see Jerry exploring and enjoying himself. Arabia was really something and I had no idea they did an album of sea shanties!

Comment

• I was a big Pigpen fan. I really dug most of the songs that he sang on. He was the one guy who wasn't into psychedelics. Instead he just drank himself to death.

Comment

• Originally posted by TornAndFrayed View Post
                        I support this thread.

Every single Dicks Picks, in separate zip files
                        https://www.mediafire.com/folder/g0i...ck's_Picks
                        Somehow I only collected up to Vol. 24 - but damn... listening to Vol. 28 now. Stunning, stellar, playing throughout - sadly, Pig was already so ill he didn't make this run of '73 shows and passed only a few months after these shows.

Comment

• This is a good read:

David Crosby Remembers Jerry Garcia: ‘He Did Not Play for Money — He Was Chasing the Notes’

Interesting take:

Did you ever hear what I think their kind of music is, what Jerry and Phil (Lesh) and them invented? Well, it’s four running streams of melody at the same time. It’s the lead guitar, the second guitar, the bass and the keyboard. They’re all playing a melodic line all at the same time, all the time. That’s Dixieland. The trombone and the clarinet and the trumpet and the sax, they’re all playing melody at the same time. That’s what the Grateful Dead is doing, playing four rambling, running, explosive, inventive lines of melody at the same time. I call it electronic Dixieland. I think nobody else ever invented it. They thought it up, and it works. It’s a kind of jazz. It’s a new kind of American music, same way bluegrass we thought up and jazz we thought up. The singer-songwriter bands expanding and extending themselves into jazz area of improvisation, that’s the thing the Grateful Dead pioneered.

Comment

• That's nice. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• I think it is important to reserve judgement on evaluating David Crosby's thoughts on Jerry Garcia until I can find out how Bonnie Raitt feels about them.

Comment

• Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
                                I think it is important to reserve judgement on evaluating David Crosby's thoughts on Jerry Garcia until I can find out how Bonnie Raitt feels about them.
                                Well Crosby apparently saw a similarity between her and Jerry:

When we think of Jerry Garcia, we never really think of him in any kind of isolation, the way we would so many music superstars. We think of him in collaboration, whether with the Dead or playing bluegrass or with other side projects or just playing on albums like yours.

It’s the same thing I do, and of course I loved it. It’s how it should be. That’s how you learn new stuff is cross-pollinating with other musicians. I go and I play with Jason Isbell, and he’s got some s— I haven’t got. I learn something from him. I go play with Bonnie Raitt and I listen to how she sings a song and I learn three new things, because that’s how good she is. I love making music with other human beings. I know that a lot of people really love to do it by themselves and that’s really their thing. They want to play all the instruments and make the whole record themselves. It’s kind of an ego trip, but I understand it, and if you’re capable of doing it, you might as well — it’d be fun. But it’s not my thing. My thing is chemistry with other human beings. And Jerry had that to the max. I never met anybody who was better at it. You played three notes, and he would play number four and five.

We had a blast every time we’d see each other. A smile would blossom on both of our faces. We would reach for a guitar and go get happy. And it was just as dependable as day following the night, you know?

Comment

Working...
                                X