No announcement yet.

All things Grateful Dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As far as I know, Jerry put the pedal steel away in the early 70's and didn't break it out again till the shows with Dylan in 87, where he played it on a few songs, which was awesome despite the obvious 'rust'.

Comment

• Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

I wouldn't think so as, once Buddy Cage took over, NRPS was a functioning band with a pedal steel player. I don't recall Jerry playing with them after he left.

Have you seen Pete Grant of late? I did a session for a country guy named James Carlson in Grass Valley in 2007 when I evacuated and was living in Auburn and Pete was there. What an amazing musician he is, an Auburn resident, I believe.
      Pete is incredible! The last time I saw him was over a year ago (!), July '19 at the Palms in Winters for the Lost Planet Airmen show - Bobby Black on steel was a thrill. I meant to talk to him about non-pedal steel lessons, but Pete got thronged by audience members in the know. By the time I thought about it again the shut-down was on. It sounds like he's in NRPS now, as soon as the music returns, and he sits in frequently at the shows that Scott from Keep Smilin' Productions puts on at the Masons Hall. Easily heard over everybody else playing thru that original Boogie amp! The Auburn area has seen some heavy, heavy, players move into the area in the last several years... Dan Crary moved there just after y old work acquaintance, himself a classical player of note, moved to Ash ille. He and Dan had been to seminary together - small damn world.
      Last edited by duende; 12-17-2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by duende View Post

Pete is incredible! The last time I saw him was over a year ago (!), July '19 at the Palms in Winters for the Lost Planet Airmen show - Bobby Black on steel was a thrill. I meant to talk to him about non-pedal steel lessons, but Pete got thronged by audience members in the know. By the time I thought about it again the shut-down was on. It sounds like he's in NRPS now, as soon as the music returns, and he sits in frequently at the shows that Scott from Keep Smilin' Productions puts on at the Masons Hall. Easily heard over everybody else playing thru that original Boogie amp! The Auburn area has seen some heavy, heavy, players move into the area in the last several years... Dan Crary moved there just after y old work acquaintance, himself a classical player of note, moved to Ash ille. He and Dan had been to seminary together - small damn world.
        The day I was lucky enough to be in the studio with Pete, he also played an eight string dobro, something I had never seen before. Needless to say, he made that thing walk and talk.

Here are two outtakes from James Carlson's album with me on bass and Pete on Pedal Steel. I thought the Tele player was Bob Woods, who was also there that day, but it is another cat. Bob was amazing, too, as he had a B-Bender AND a G-Bender built into his Tele. He was contorting himself all over to work both of those things!

I had not heard this original song before that day and was coached through it by James. One of my proudest moments as a musican...to be on tracks with Pete Grant!

https://soundcloud.com/mark-grissom-1/falling-down-1

This one we recorded by playing along to the Rosanne Cash album it is on. It was a funny way to record something to me but it worked. We were just laying down parts, after all.

https://soundcloud.com/mark-grissom-...s-hangin-round
        Last edited by chopitulas; 12-17-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Jerry & Merle- Biloxi
          https://youtu.be/QcbPRpTDu0E

Comment

• any idea what venue in Biloxi?

Comment

• Originally posted by McGregor View Post
              any idea what venue in Biloxi?
              Biloxi is actually the name of the song. It's q cover written by David Winchester.

Comment

• Originally posted by TornAndFrayed View Post

Biloxi is actually the name of the song. It's q cover written by David Winchester.
                Jesse Winchester, that is...

Comment

• Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

Jesse Winchester, that is...

Ahhh, thanks. I was unfamiliar with him before hearing this jerry show. Apparently Buffet covers it as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by TornAndFrayed View Post

Ahhh, thanks. I was unfamiliar with him before hearing this jerry show. Apparently Buffet covers it as well.
                    He is a great songwriter. He fled the US to Canada because of the draft and Robbie Robertson produced his first album that has "Biloxi" on it. (He is from the South.) I really liked his 2nd "3rd Down and 110 To Go" that I got for Christmas in 1973. He put out a bunch of other good records until he died in 2014.

Comment

• For anyone interested in rarities, check it out. Jerry is is on Piano for To Lay Me Down.

Also, Big Railroad Blues was rarely played acoustic like it was this show and it has a different sound to it.

https://archive.org/details/gd70-09-...09-20d1t04.shn

Comment

• Comment

• I want one.

Comment

• Originally posted by frijoless View Post
                            I want one.
                            Me too. I love it. The neighbors at the end of our street have one and that's where I saw it. Now I am trying to decide whether it's a lame copycat thing for us to get one.

Comment

• More vintage Dead shows released recently. My favorite era, 71-73 with Pigpen still around.

http://exystence.net/blog/2021/09/30...o-121071-2021/

http://exystence.net/blog/2021/10/07...71-72-73-2021/

Comment

• Sad to report what Bay Area headz already know. Terrapin Crossroads, Phil's great restaurant and club, has closed due to lease problems and a greedy city.

Comment

Working...
                                X