No announcement yet.

All things Grateful Dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don’t speak bad about Jerry. It’s poor form.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
      Nice to see the Dead Thread back in play. I'm a little 'Jerry'd out' after the anniversary of his birth and death so close together. Put em back in the ground....or back in the river.
      I hear you. I’m a big fan but think it’s overdone.

Comment

• I wouldn't put Phil in the ground just yet. He and his band were great! Dark Star>St Stephen>Shakedown>Let it Grow>?>Terrapin> Playin'>Mountains of the Moon>Somewhere Over the Rainbow>UJB with plenty of spacey Jalmon going down betwixt and between. Fiddler and Harp player were welcome additions.

Truthfully, I wasn't expecting to like it as I've too been burned out of GD for awhile. But they delivered the goods and every rump was shaking.

Smiles all around.

Good times in Stern Grove
        Last edited by Meters Fan; 08-14-2022, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meters Fan View Post
          I wouldn't put Phil in the ground just yet. He and his band were great! Dark Star>St Stephen>Shakedown>Let it Grow>?>Terrapin> Playin'>Mountains of the Moon>Somewhere Over the Rainbow>UJB with plenty of spacey Jalmon going down betwixt and between. Fiddler and Harp player were welcome additions.

Truthfully, I wasn't expecting to like it as I've too been burned out of GD for awhile. But they delivered the goods and every rump was shaking.

Smiles all around.

Good times in Stern Grove
          I was there and agree 100%. I thought I would enjoy it but it easily exceeded my expectations. Very cool show.

Comment

• Nice set list! Musta been a wonderful SF afternoon.

Comment

• The local rag weighed in with a favorable review as well.

Comment

• Here is the webcast of Phil’s set at Stern Grove.

https://youtu.be/5ZQtd809S8M

Comment

• Thanks, Jim!

Comment

• As an aging DeadHead who is grateful to have seen the original Dead a number of times along with the great JGB, I heard a version of Dark Star on the XM Dead Channel by John Mayer and "Dead & Co." that sounded like absolute dreck - terrible. Had visions of Jerry either laughing boisterous or spinning in his grave. I do understand this fraud of a tribute band is ending soon. Any opinions on this? Am I missing something?

Comment

• Originally posted by FestJester View Post
                      As an aging DeadHead who is grateful to have seen the original Dead a number of times along with the great JGB, I heard a version of Dark Star on the XM Dead Channel by John Mayer and "Dead & Co." that sounded like absolute dreck - terrible. Had visions of Jerry either laughing boisterous or spinning in his grave. I do understand this fraud of a tribute band is ending soon. Any opinions on this? Am I missing something?
                      Nope. I go back to 1967 with the Dead in San Francisco and Dead & Co. just doesn't work for me either. Not at all.

Now Furthur I came to really like.

Comment

• You Druggies are disgraceful.

Comment

• Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
                          You Druggies are disgraceful.
                          But not unGrateful. Wait, what was the question?

Comment

Am I missing something?
                            185 plus GD shows under my belt and the answer is "No, you're not missing anything"

The real GD torch is being carried high and wide by Billy Strings.

Comment

As an aging DeadHead who is grateful to have seen the original Dead a number of times along with the great JGB, I heard a version of Dark Star on the XM Dead Channel by John Mayer and "Dead & Co." that sounded like absolute dreck - terrible. Had visions of Jerry either laughing boisterous or spinning in his grave. I do understand this fraud of a tribute band is ending soon. Any opinions on this? Am I missing something?
                              I thought the same thing whenever I listened to them. Some people just need a Dead fix any which way they can get it. Phil's bands are the only ones I was ever interested in seeing, especially when he has Scofield on guitar.

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OWi1g8Xz5s

I came across this the other day. Recorded 8/30/70 KQED. They start with a nice long Easy Wind with Pig on vocals, but the real stuff starts around the 7 minute mark. This was right when they were recording American Beauty and they had those harmonies down tight.!! I'd say this is the absolute best vocal performance I've ever heard them do live. If nothing else check the ending of Candyman around the 13:55 mark.

We have a real nice Dead cover band here in Austin called Deadeye. I get the vibe from them more than I do the Dead and Co. but I have heard that this tour has gone well. Someone told me Bobby is sounding great but they are slowing down the songs to accommodate.

Comment

Working...
                                X