All things Grateful Dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
    I gotta say as much as I was down on them when they first got together as a trio as being low energy and boring, I'm listening to 2 recent shows from last week by Bobby Weir & Wolf Bros and they sound pretty good. They have pedal steel, strings and horns and play totally different sets each night. I'd much rather see them than Dead & co.
    I'd go see anything (and have) with Barry Sless on pedal steel or plectrum guitar, followed by Greg Leisz & Lloyd Maines. Everyone's got a favorite Jerry-esque player, but Barry just consistently brings fire and team-player to his playing, no matter who he's backing up.

Comment

• Originally posted by duende View Post

I'd go see anything (and have) with Barry Sless on pedal steel or plectrum guitar, followed by Greg Leisz & Lloyd Maines. Everyone's got a favorite Jerry-esque player, but Barry just consistently brings fire and team-player to his playing, no matter who he's backing up.
      I never heard of him but he sounds great with that band. I've been a Lloyd Maines fan since the 80s and Greg Leisz almost as long. Leisz has played with so many people and different styles from Dave Alvin to Mathew Sweet to Beck, Wilco, Whiskeytown, Smashing Pumpkins, Emmylou, Black Crowes, Bill Frisell and of course Lucinda and many others.

Comment

I never heard of him but he sounds great with that band. I've been a Lloyd Maines fan since the 80s and Greg Leisz almost as long. Leisz has played with so many people and different styles from Dave Alvin to Mathew Sweet to Beck, Wilco, Whiskeytown, Smashing Pumpkins, Emmylou, Black Crowes, Bill Frisell and of course Lucinda and many others.
        He's well-known out this way for being in David Nelson's (New Riders of Purple Sage) band and Moonalice, along with projects with Chris Robinson. Here's a tune I really like penned by Nelson & Robert Hunter that imagines the rest of the bluegrass standby John Hardy story - featuring Barry's fine pickin'

Comment

• It's interesting to read all the various pro, indifferent and less than impressed opinions about all the Grateful Dead cover bands in the 2023 Grid forum. I think the real question to be discussed is: "Why are there so many Grateful Dead cover bands during Jazz Fest?". There is even this All Things Grateful Dead forum here going back to 2010 with 34 pages of comments. The present day answer to me would be that A) it's easy money and B) the depth of musicians in town allow for a variety of collaborations. Not sure that explains the historical aspect of my question.

Comment

• Originally posted by braygun View Post
            It's interesting to read all the various pro, indifferent and less than impressed opinions about all the Grateful Dead cover bands in the 2023 Grid forum. I think the real question to be discussed is: "Why are there so many Grateful Dead cover bands during Jazz Fest?". There is even this All Things Grateful Dead forum here going back to 2010 with 34 pages of comments. The present day answer to me would be that A) it's easy money and B) the depth of musicians in town allow for a variety of collaborations. Not sure that explains the historical aspect of my question.
            While A is the obvious short term answer (along with the ancillary practical fact that it is not formally demanding music, and the looseness of the aesthetic means no rehearsals required,) the historical aspect certainly needs more unpacking. While there has long been a Dead thread in some parts of New Orleans music making, I believe it has been a mostly a very minor thread (and mostly invisible since the late 80's,) and the phenomenon we are discussing isn't really connected to it anyway. But it wouldn't be easy money if there wouldn't be a large audience coming to town pre-sold on some kosmic Dead/New Orleans convergence--a fantastical synthesis of the least funky and the most funky? Must be Magick (or the brown acid?)

Comment

• Only Dead cover band that would interest me would be Jazz Is Dead.

Comment

Only Dead cover band that would interest me would be Jazz Is Dead.
                I never saw Jazz Is Dead with Jeff Pevar, but he sat in with the Motet for a Funk Is Dead late-nite show at High Sierra Music Fest and made a fan that night for going way outside the singer-accompanist playing I’d previously known him for. Also that Guitarmaggedon thing that I associate with the HSMF playshops gives you a glimpse of just how much more “pedal” some of your favorite players have when they floor it!

Comment

• Originally posted by belyin View Post
                  (along with the ancillary practical fact that it is not formally demanding music, and the looseness of the aesthetic means no rehearsals required,)
                  Strongly disagree with this statement. The cover bands tend to go for the less challenging material, but the Dead could go deep, thus attracting the likes of Ornette Coleman, David Murray, Branford Marsallis and other musical giants onto the stage to 'jam' with them.

​​​​​​​

Comment

• i saw the original Jazz is Dead many years ago at HoB, this was Alphonso Johnson, Billy Cobham, T Lavitz and Jimmy Herring. They were badass.

I also saw what may have been the original Dead Feat. It had Billy Kreutzmann, Paul Barrere, Fred Tackett, I think Kenny Gradney too. Plus Anders and Gros, and they needed Billy Iuso because no one else knew the words to any Dead songs. Anders knows Black muddy, maybe sugaree, and the rest are covers of covers (Not fade away, going down the road style).

As to the dead cover bands at night during the festival, it seems to be to be a confluence of two factors that predate the Dead cover overflow that we now have:
                    First, the superjam. Since we "have never played before" we need covers, and ones that leave us room to jam out. Hey, does everybody know Fire on the Mountain???

Second, the late night shows, which i think Tips originated, though I could be wrong there, probably downtown thinking about it. But in reality, who in their right mind wants to go to a show at 2am? No one in their "right mind" --- but someone high on psychedelics that are going to keep them up til 5am whether they have something to do or not? THOSE folks want a show at 2am, cause they're still dosed and Galactic is over. SO ............ we need cover material that a lot of musicians know AND it's got to draw in and entertain a crowd that's high on psychedelics. Hmm. Everybody know Fire on the Mountain???

That's my view of it all at least.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Strongly disagree with this statement. The cover bands tend to go for the less challenging material, but the Dead could go deep, thus attracting the likes of Ornette Coleman, David Murray, Branford Marsallis and other musical giants onto the stage to 'jam' with them.

​​​​​​​
                      I’ll go with Greg on this. One of the greatest joys of playing Dead tunes is working through the arrangements, some of which sound simple enough, and getting to know the Garcia/Hunter material from a player perspective. C#m is your friend lol. The fact that they made unconventional harmonic song structure sound like folk songs is a humbling thing. I can’t tell you how many blues-based players get absolutely lost in the chord structure and modal playing that Jerry made seem effortless. And in that lies a bed over which encourages flights of fancy for far more advanced improvisers than I.

Comment

• I'm looking for a graphic designer that can help me ($) with a t-shirt design. I make a different one for my company every year and give them away. This year I'm thinking of morphing a Grateful Dead symbol into the design. It's almost April already so I'm a little behind. If that's you, send me a message. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by braygun View Post
                          I'm looking for a graphic designer that can help me ($) with a t-shirt design. I make a different one for my company every year and give them away. This year I'm thinking of morphing a Grateful Dead symbol into the design. It's almost April already so I'm a little behind. If that's you, send me a message. Thanks.
                          I've only just tried this out, so by no means an expert, but there are some pretty cool AI tools out there. Try this linked website - it will create artwork for anything your describe. You can be as detailed as you want to be

Comment

• Thanks Wombat. That is certainly an interesting website but probably not for a tee-shirt design. I'm looking more for a tee-shirt designer.

Comment

Only Dead cover band that would interest me would be Jazz Is Dead.
                              The one that us touring right now that us really just steve kimmock and friends or the OG jazz is dead? OG was awesome while the current format SUCKS. Absolutely terrible imo.

This sounds so uninspured to me:

Comment

• Originally posted by RoosterTailTommy View Post

The one that us touring right now that us really just steve kimmock and friends or the OG jazz is dead? OG was awesome while the current format SUCKS. Absolutely terrible imo.

This sounds so uninspured to me:
                                https://youtu.be/h6c8txJEh0s
                                Def not that. OG with Cobham and Herring.

Comment

Working...
                                X