No announcement yet.

All things Grateful Dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of that material was on the "So Many Roads" box set but I see what you are after. Some good ones (I always really liked "Lazy River Road") but not their strongest batch of songs.
    Last edited by chopitulas; 08-12-2010, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
      Some of that material was on the "So Many Roads" box set but I see what you are after. Some good ones (I always realy liked "Lazy River Road") but not their strongest batch of songs.
      Was not familiar with the So Many Roads box set, I will google when I get a chance.
      I disagree about the quality of the songs as they have grown on me over the years. Yeah, bobby is his usual cheese ball self for Corrina and Easy Answers, but a good engineer could find the magic in there. Samba In The Rain was strange and needed a bridge, but it was a great vehicle for Jerry to go nuts on the MIDI guitar. I LOVE Phil on Childhoods End and Wave To The Wind. Jerry hit pay dirt on So Many Roads, and Liberty would have made a great single. I'm not a big fan of Days Between as it is too long and needs a chorus ( felt the same way about Althea ).

In my Grateful Dead fantasy world, the boys would have hooked up with Daniel Lanois around 1994 in a rented house in New Orleans and made a great album.

Comment

Mrs. Lit got So Many Roads for me for Christmas the year it came out. Definitely a very nice little collection. I have a ton of live Dead, but it is nice to have some great versions so easily accessible in one collection. As Chop notes, it is also nice to have good recordings of some of their final material that never made it to album. For me though, the best parts of the set are the various "jam" tracks, where they have captured some really nice moments. Especially the "Watkins Glen Soundcheck Jam" and the aptly-named "Beautiful Jam." Other faves include the "Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)," "The Same Thing," "Sing Me Back Home" and even Brent's "Gentlemen Start Your Engines." You should definitely pick it up. Nice packaging too.

Comment

Check this station I found recently:

http://www.freshjamradio.com/

Comment

Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
            I always thought that by 93-94 the band had enough new material to put out a quality album. What a shame that last lineup with Vince ( and Bruce ) never put out one last project. Maybe they could compile a collection of live versions and whatever they have from the studio ( I heard somewhere that they tried to cut a few of the songs ) ?

Obvious title: Dead Last.

Liberty
            Corrina
            Wave To The Wind
            Long Way To Go Home
            So Many Roads
            Eternity
            If The Shoe Fits
            Childhoods End
            The Days Between
            Easy Answers
            Samba In The Rain
            Lazy River Road

I need closure !!
            I saw the live concert debut of several of the above songs, including

So Many Roads
            Eternity
            Wave To The Wind
            Lazy River Road
            Corrina
            Days Between

Of all of the songs written in the 1990's, So Many Roads was the true standout, one which allowed Jerry Garcia to really dig deep and fill the song with a poignant, emotional longing that had been earlier tapped in similar songs such as Foolish Heart or Standing On The Moon.........

When Jerry Garcia was inspired, the emotion infused in his singing and playing was a joy and a wonder to behold.
            Last edited by MormonMatthew; 08-12-2010, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I think "Days Between" would have evolved into an epic Dead tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                Though I heard it performed live several times, I never really connected with that song, but I had several friends who thought it was brilliant.......

Comment

I found "Days Between" very moving, another ballad Jerry could really deliver. And I actually was a fan of "Corrina", mostly because it seemed to lead to an interesting jam coming out of it. It was Phil and Vince's songs I thought were pretty weak.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                    I found "Days Between" very moving, another ballad Jerry could really deliver. And I actually was a fan of "Corrina", mostly because it seemed to lead to an interesting jam coming out of it. It was Phil and Vince's songs I thought were pretty weak.
                    even just reading the lyrics, they're beautiful....

Comment

Days Between is a beautiful song. Greg, I remember the Jerry/Zappa show and feeling a little bit bummed after Jer played and Frank said something to the efffect of "sit down, we are going to be here a while" I would have to say the JGB with Bob and Wasserman opening in '89 at Poplar Creek was one of my faves of all time. Ahh it was 28 years ago this week I attended my first Grateful Dead concert at the tender age of 16. It was at Alpine and while I dont remember much about it (except 'Thats right the women are smarter") those damn hippies got me hook, line and sinker.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagomike View Post
                        Days Between is a beautiful song. Greg, I remember the Jerry/Zappa show and feeling a little bit bummed after Jer played and Frank said something to the efffect of "sit down, we are going to be here a while" I would have to say the JGB with Bob and Wasserman opening in '89 at Poplar Creek was one of my faves of all time. Ahh it was 28 years ago this week I attended my first Grateful Dead concert at the tender age of 16. It was at Alpine and while I dont remember much about it (except 'Thats right the women are smarter") those damn hippies got me hook, line and sinker.
                        Yeah, Jerry should have played last, seeing how most of the audience were Deadheads. I still have the bootleg somewhere, Zappa doing "Ride My Face To Chicago" with a shit eatin grin on his face.
                        Those 82 Alpine shows were killer, saw both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagomike View Post
                          I would have to say the JGB with Bob and Wasserman opening in '89 at Poplar Creek was one of my faves of all time.
                          I have a cassette recording of the Jerry Garcia Band from Poplar Creek in 1989

Haven't listened to it for years, I will have to give it a spin and see how it sounds........
                          ---------------------------------
                          1989 was a banner year for Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead---It was inspirational to witness the renaissance of passion and integrity into his playing.
                          Last edited by MormonMatthew; 08-13-2010, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Furthur put on a real "listener" show last night in SF with a new (for me, anyway) line-up featuring STRONG vocals from Sunshine Garcia Becker & Jeff Pehrson (Box Set!) on Time. Joe Russo really locks with Phil as the lone percussionist in this configuration.

Cassidy > Loser, Let It Grow, Time, Death Don't Have No Mercy, Fire On The Mountain > The Other One The Eleven, Lady With A Fan > Terrapin > At A Siding > Terrapin, Unbroken Chain, Morning Dew, I Know You Rider

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
                              Furthur put on a real "listener" show last night in SF with a new (for me, anyway) line-up featuring STRONG vocals from Sunshine Garcia Becker & Jeff Pehrson (Box Set!) on Time. Joe Russo really locks with Phil as the lone percussionist in this configuration.

Cassidy > Loser, Let It Grow, Time, Death Don't Have No Mercy, Fire On The Mountain > The Other One The Eleven, Lady With A Fan > Terrapin > At A Siding > Terrapin, Unbroken Chain, Morning Dew, I Know You Rider
                              The sound was phenomenal, and the band was definitely locking into filling in the details more than getting the crowd dancing. Phil and Joe kept up a constant conversation, as did Jeff and John. Seemed very 1974 in that way.

In a further (furthur?) nod to nostalgia, Bobby found a particularly annoying guitar effect about half-way thorugh "Death Don't Have No Mercy" and rode it hard through "Fire". Just like the good ol' days! He sang the heck out of "Death Don't," though.

I'm still on the fence with these guys. Phil and Bobby sound great and very comfortable; the new guys hit all the notes. Something always seems to keep from putting them over the top for me, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                                True, true! I think Bobby does a nice job with this, by the way. I saw it live the first time he broke it out, in Albany a couple of years ago. He opened the show with Terrapin. Kind of knew he was serious that night.
                                By the way, I just picked up the new Los Lobos CD, which is superb as expected. Their take on "West LA Fadeway" is terrific!

Comment

Working...
                                X