No announcement yet.

All things Grateful Dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Grateful Dead’s Anarchist Legacy Threatening the Future of America’s Internet?

Five decades ago, when the Grateful Dead first planted the seeds of psychedelic “free love” anarchy in our culture, did anyone envision the dangerous vines that would grow from that dank soil?

Today, these growths are strangling the true freedom upon which this nation was founded. Marijuana legalization, “cyberpunk” and radical activist groups like the Electronic Frontier Foundation are just a few of the weeds creeping out. Their intent is not to strengthen our country, or even to promote its traditional values. Instead, they lust with carnal urgency to undermine the very ideal of liberty itself.

Curiously enough, it could be argued that this is the same endgame devised by entities that are seldom mentioned in the public sphere. Whether the Dead’s impact is the unfortunate consequence of a misguided CIA operation, a strategic move by the Illuminati or the fulfillment of End Times prophecy is certainly open to debate.

Marx, Osama and Garcia

More than any other musical act of the last century, the Grateful Dead’s modus operandi mirrors Osama Bin Laden’s philosophy of Al Qaeda. For both, their terrorism was not simply about spectacular acts (and indeed, the Dead provided many of these). It was about spreading an epidemic of psychological chaos. And that chaos has long outlived its early patient zeroes.

moar http://harddawn.com/is-the-grateful-...icas-internet/

Comment

• Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
      Five decades ago, when the Grateful Dead first planted the seeds of psychedelic “free love” anarchy in our culture, did anyone envision the dangerous vines that would grow from that dank soil?

Today, these growths are strangling the true freedom upon which this nation was founded. Marijuana legalization, “cyberpunk” and radical activist groups like the Electronic Frontier Foundation are just a few of the weeds creeping out. Their intent is not to strengthen our country, or even to promote its traditional values. Instead, they lust with carnal urgency to undermine the very ideal of liberty itself.

Curiously enough, it could be argued that this is the same endgame devised by entities that are seldom mentioned in the public sphere. Whether the Dead’s impact is the unfortunate consequence of a misguided CIA operation, a strategic move by the Illuminati or the fulfillment of End Times prophecy is certainly open to debate.

Marx, Osama and Garcia

More than any other musical act of the last century, the Grateful Dead’s modus operandi mirrors Osama Bin Laden’s philosophy of Al Qaeda. For both, their terrorism was not simply about spectacular acts (and indeed, the Dead provided many of these). It was about spreading an epidemic of psychological chaos. And that chaos has long outlived its early patient zeroes.

moar http://harddawn.com/is-the-grateful-...icas-internet/
      Was this written by Canine Horror?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemp View Post
        Was this written by Canine Horror?
        You got me What was the giveaway? The florid prose, or the bizarre conspiracy theories?

Comment

• Clearly time to change your handle...to Lord Terror.

Comment

• Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post
            You got me What was the giveaway? The florid prose, or the bizarre conspiracy theories?
            What conspiracy theories?

Comment

• Published: 2006/06/23
              by Taylor Hill
              ‘Deadheads Are What Liberals Claim to Be But Aren’t’:An Interview with Ann Coulter

When I called the Clare Booth Luce Policy Institute, whose chairwoman gives speeches on topics with titles like "The Failures of Feminism", and told the gatekeeper there that I wanted to do an interview with Ann Coulter solely about the Grateful Dead, there was a small pause. Then she recovered and politely told me to send her an e-mail, which she would forward to Ann. That, I expected, would be the end of it.

When I got home that night, and saw an e-mail in my box from Ann Coulter, I thought "how polite of her to send a rejection letter rather than simply ignoring my proposal." Instead, I found that she had somehow written "I’d love to! Good website!" While she was delayed by a round of speeches to make up due to strep throat, and other events life throws out, we kept shooting e-mails back and forth and I discovered a secret that I will reveal despite the damage to her reputation that it may cause: Ann is really cool and really funny. The few friends I talked with about this said "What? You of all people are getting along with Ann Coulter?!" It was easy and simple to do: we never talked policy. It was a joy talking with her, even if we don’t agree on everything (most politics, and "Alabama Getaway" sucks).

What followed was the most surreal interview I have ever done in my life. It involves smearing oneself with purple Crisco, Kanye (Ann’s a fan), slews of Reagan and Bush appointees leaving the Justice Department to go to Dead shows, lamentation for the neglected "Pride of Cucamonga," getting inside info on the Monica Lewinsky scandal by being a Deadhead, and saying goodbye to Jerry in Golden Gate Park. Some of her answers WILL piss people off, but there’s no doubting her tie-dyed credentials even if the dye is much more red than blue. Her latest book, Godless: The Church of Liberalism, was published earlier this month.

MORE: http://www.jambands.com/features/200...r#.UwDnt7SXgS6

Comment

• https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rsary/ZrzvLSwz

we petition the obama administration to:

Nominate the Grateful Dead to receive The Kennedy Center Honors in 2015 celebrating their 50th Anniversary.

The band was the first of its kind whose musical style was drawn upon the influences of not one musical genre but many including, but not limited to, country, blues, jazz, rock, bluegrass, improvisational, folk, psychedelic, reggae and just about every other form of music heard around the world. This newly created musical tapestry became so passionately enjoyed by so many it ultimately led to over 2,300 concerts experienced in nearly every state in the Union in their 30 year existence and included over 500 different songs performed at least once in a live setting. Only in America could a group of individuals from diverse backgrounds come together and create their own style/sound that bettered the world of music and left their own fiercely unique imprint on our nation’s proud history.

Comment

• Don't know if anyone knows about this but this is innnaresting:

Grateful Dead Scholars Caucus 2014

Grateful Dead Scholars Caucus: sat on a terrific panel with Johnny Dwork, Matt Armstrong, Jon Walters, and Rhoney Stanley (who was married to Owsley. She had some great stories!) what a great, fun opportunity to tell people about Furthur Down The Road and our efforts to save the bus.

Comment

• Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
                    Published: 2006/06/23
                    by Taylor Hill
                    ‘Deadheads Are What Liberals Claim to Be But Aren’t’:An Interview with Ann Coulter

When I called the Clare Booth Luce Policy Institute, whose chairwoman gives speeches on topics with titles like "The Failures of Feminism", and told the gatekeeper there that I wanted to do an interview with Ann Coulter solely about the Grateful Dead, there was a small pause. Then she recovered and politely told me to send her an e-mail, which she would forward to Ann. That, I expected, would be the end of it.

When I got home that night, and saw an e-mail in my box from Ann Coulter, I thought "how polite of her to send a rejection letter rather than simply ignoring my proposal." Instead, I found that she had somehow written "I’d love to! Good website!" While she was delayed by a round of speeches to make up due to strep throat, and other events life throws out, we kept shooting e-mails back and forth and I discovered a secret that I will reveal despite the damage to her reputation that it may cause: Ann is really cool and really funny. The few friends I talked with about this said "What? You of all people are getting along with Ann Coulter?!" It was easy and simple to do: we never talked policy. It was a joy talking with her, even if we don’t agree on everything (most politics, and "Alabama Getaway" sucks).

What followed was the most surreal interview I have ever done in my life. It involves smearing oneself with purple Crisco, Kanye (Ann’s a fan), slews of Reagan and Bush appointees leaving the Justice Department to go to Dead shows, lamentation for the neglected "Pride of Cucamonga," getting inside info on the Monica Lewinsky scandal by being a Deadhead, and saying goodbye to Jerry in Golden Gate Park. Some of her answers WILL piss people off, but there’s no doubting her tie-dyed credentials even if the dye is much more red than blue. Her latest book, Godless: The Church of Liberalism, was published earlier this month.

MORE: http://www.jambands.com/features/200...r#.UwDnt7SXgS6
                    Ann Coulter is a fraud along with being a vile and nasty person. I noticed in the interview she says she flew out to SF to attend the Garcia memorial ion Golden Gate Park. She says "the rest of the band played." Well, she must not have been at the same memorial that I was at because the rest of the band DID NOT play that day. She also says she doesn't remember where and when her first Dead show was. How many Deadheads do you know who can't remember their first show?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
                      Ann Coulter is a fraud along with being a vile and nasty person. I noticed in the interview she says she flew out to SF to attend the Garcia memorial ion Golden Gate Park. She says "the rest of the band played." Well, she must not have been at the same memorial that I was at because the rest of the band DID NOT play that day. She also says she doesn't remember where and when her first Dead show was. How many Deadheads do you know who can't remember their first show?
                      yep. I was there. The second line parade around the top was one of the most moving things I've ever been part of. and yeahI remember every single detail of my first show (except the show itself) (as chronicled here before) and my last show and damn near every show in between.

Comment

There were a fair number of stories about her Bobby-stalking about a decade ago. Perhaps Al Franken will buy her a glass of California Chardonnay and they'll iron out their differences. Let's hope.

Comment

• Much of what she says is a calculated act. I don't doubt that she has conservative opinions, but she intentionally chooses the most inflammatory language possible because if liberals really hate her, she'll be beloved by extreme conservatives and will continue to be booked for television shows. To me, she's the political commentator equivalent of a professional wrestling heel.

Comment

• Who is Ann Coulter?

Comment

• Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post
                              Much of what she says is a calculated act. I don't doubt that she has conservative opinions, but she intentionally chooses the most inflammatory language possible because if liberals really hate her, she'll be beloved by extreme conservatives and will continue to be booked for television shows. To me, she's the political commentator equivalent of a professional wrestling heel.
                              Totally agree.

Comment

I suspect you are right, Jim.
                                There's no way someone as smart as that could really, honestly, like the Grateful Dead.

Comment

Working...
                                X