Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Grateful Dead.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Loved the Kaiser!!! I always hung in the back hallway with the speakers. Anyone remember that freaky bar in the basement ?? Good times.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
      Loved the Kaiser!!! I always hung in the back hallway with the speakers. Anyone remember that freaky bar in the basement ?? Good times.
      Why isn't there a basement bar with a ping-pong table and video screen at every arena show? Why doesn't every promoter challenge fans to a mid-show volleyball match for New Year's tickets? Why aren't you greeted with a hot-off-the-press set of new "MIKEL" stickers as soon as you enter every show?

      Ah, the Dead in the 80's.....

      Comment


      • #63
        The Dead scene started going downhill for me when the hullabaloo outside the Kaiser forced them to move to the Coliseum Arena because there was an enclosed parking lot that at least kept the madness contained. The band played well for a few more years but the experience was never really the same.

        I remember having to go stand in a line at 3 PM to get a seat for that night's show. Heck, you could get to the Kaiser 10 minutes before the show and walk right in.

        Something major was lost when there no longer was a dancefloor. Yeah, you could still stand at the Coliseum if you wanted but it wasn't a wooden dancefloor anymore and didn't have the same feel. And you used to be able to move around and check the show out from several vantage points but that wasn't as easy to do at the Coliseum.

        Loved that downstairs bar and the wide hallways to cruise around. It took me awhile to get over the loss of Winterland but I came to really love the Kaiser.
        Last edited by chopitulas; 09-03-2010, 11:11 AM.

        Comment


        • #64
          My favorite moment of the summer with FURTHUR...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mSakBE0C_U

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
            I can draw a straight line between seeing the Neville Brothers open for both the Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia Band and my eventual discovery of the music and magic of Jazzfest (and New Orleans as a whole).
            My line may not be straight, but I can draw the same line. At the time I was just getting turned on to the Grateful Dead, summer of '92 (better late than never), the same guys educating me told me not to miss the Neville Brothers who were playing an outdoor show (Triad Center/SLC). I had no idea of the connection, but went, was blown away, and I soon came to see the connections very clearly, though I never saw the bands together. And, there is no question that the excitement and energy of seeing those bands live led me down the road that led to Jazzfest.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by that one guy from Kansas View Post
              My line may not be straight, but I can draw the same line. At the time I was just getting turned on to the Grateful Dead, summer of '92 (better late than never), the same guys educating me told me not to miss the Neville Brothers who were playing an outdoor show (Triad Center/SLC). I had no idea of the connection, but went, was blown away, and I soon came to see the connections very clearly, though I never saw the bands together. And, there is no question that the excitement and energy of seeing those bands live led me down the road that led to Jazzfest.
              That Triad Center show was a hoodoo---I saw a lot of great music there over the years; David Byrne, Jimmy Cliff, Little Feat, David Lindley and El Rayo X, Los Lobos, Bonnie Raitt......

              As for the Nevilles, I have such fond memories of the many great nights that I have shared in their presence that all I have to do is throw on their "Live From Planet Earth" CD and the permagrin sets in, the 3.2% Pabst Blue Ribbon starts to taste like a fine Czech pilsner, and the groove gets me to move for the rest of the night.
              Last edited by MormonMatthew; 09-08-2010, 01:28 PM.

              Comment


              • #67
                Happy Birthday PIGPEN!



                "Take your hands outta your pockets and do something with 'em besides playin' pocket pool".....

                Comment


                • #68
                  Cool video of Jagger and Jerry

                  as they are waiting for the helicopter to take them to Altamont. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbz...g-stones_music

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    The Story of "Truckin'"

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2IDtMy-ca8

                    Lots of "Story of" on this link. box of rain etc...

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Saw Dark Star Orchestra last night. Good Show!

                      02/27/69
                      Fillmore West - San Francisco, CA

                      Set 1:
                      Good Morning Little School Girl
                      Doin' That Rag
                      Cryptical Envelopment
                      Drums
                      The Other One
                      Cryptical Envelopment
                      It Hurts Me Too

                      Set 2:
                      Dupree's Diamond Blues
                      Mountains Of The Moon
                      Dark Star
                      St. Stephen
                      The Eleven
                      Turn On Your Love Light

                      Encore:
                      Cosmic Charlie

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by goodabouthood View Post
                        Saw Dark Star Orchestra last night. Good Show!
                        Who is doing the JG stuff for them now? I haven't seen them for a couple years at least, but I enjoy their shows.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by that one guy from Kansas View Post
                          Who is doing the JG stuff for them now? I haven't seen them for a couple years at least, but I enjoy their shows.
                          Jeff Mattson from Zen Tricksters. He's a great guitarist, and has the musical phrasing down, his voice as similar like John K's though. But still, it was great getting some old school Dead like that.

                          As a side note, the show they did, that's the one the Dark Star and St Stephen on Live Dead was taken from.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Mother McCree's

                            Looking for a Mother McCree's Uptown Champions cd. Pretty expensive on Amazon. Does anyone have one to sell or burn a copy for me ?? Hope-- Hope !

                            I may start another thread with same question if no one responds...please forgive...I would just be trying to have higher visibility for the question.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by 20-20 View Post
                              Looking for a Mother McCree's Uptown Champions cd. Pretty expensive on Amazon. Does anyone have one to sell or burn a copy for me ?? Hope-- Hope !

                              I may start another thread with same question if no one responds...please forgive...I would just be trying to have higher visibility for the question.
                              Well this is the 'All Things Grateful Dead' Thread. I would like to hear some of that stuff, I may have to do a search on Archive or youtube.
                              I have an old tape of The Wildwood Boys with Jerry, his wife at the time, Robert Hunter and others ( Dave Nelson ? ). It has Mule Skinner Blues and some other cool stuff I cannot recall right now. If I can find it I would share it. It also has some early Warlocks on it and some stuff from the 'human be in' at Golden Gate Park.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Not having a copy already is all on me. I happen to enjoy "Jug Band" music and just never bothered to pick up this cd when it was readily available. Stupid me.Months and months ago I heard an interview with one of Jerry's wives ( I guess 'mountain girl' but have forgotten) on xm and she fleshed out the background and played some cuts off of the project. To my mind a very worthy recording. As I said, awfully expensive on the market, but I am hoping "for a miracle" as the saying goes !

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X