Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HotBrownGravy
    • Jan 2013

Jazz Fest Style Quail & Pheasant Gumbo

I can't stop thinking about this. So I made a gallon of it. It'll be ready in about an hour. Stop by if you want a bowl of Gumbo. I live behind the Popeye's on Magazine Street. Email me at [email protected] Serious inquires only!

Last edited by HotBrownGravy; 01-24-2013, 01:40 PM.
  • HotBrownGravy
    • Jan 2013

I wrote this recipe for y'all. Post a reply or email me if you have any questions.

Jazz Fest Style Quail & Pheasant Gumbo

4 quarts__broth (i use unsalted chicken broth by kitchen basics)
    vegetable oil
    1 cup__all-purpose flour (pillsbury a-p flour is best/ that dollar store shit is crap)
    1 pound__smoked sausage, sliced 1/4-inch
    2 medium__sweet yellow onions, finely chopped
    1 to 10 toes__garlic, chopped (garlic out of a jar is for assholes, use real garlic)
    1 large__bell pepper, chopped (red bell peppers are prettier, green are cheaper and work just as good)
    3 ribs__celery, chopped
    3__boneless quail (both quail and pheasant comes to about 4 cups chopped bird, sub chicken, if desired)
    2__boneless pheasant breasts
    2 tablespoons__paprika
    1 to 6 teaspoons__pepper
    2__bay leaves
    1 bunch__green onion, sliced
    lotsa__hot cooked rice
    __hot crusty French bread
    optional:
    1 to 2 tablespoons__Kitchen Bouquet (for those of you who can't achieve a dark enough roux)
    ¼ to 10 teaspoons__hot sauce

Heat your tasty broth in a large saucepot over medium-low heat; keep warm.

Heat ⅓ cup vegetable oil in a skillet (do not use non-stick) over medium heat. Slowly whisk in flour, adding more oil, if needed, until the mixture resembles that of 'wet-sand'. Cook roux, stirring constantly, until roux has achieved a chocolate color, about 25 minutes (do not burn; if burned, discard and start over). Remove from heat and add 1 cup of broth; whisk well. Repeat with additional broth, whisking until the roux has dissolved and is no longer lumpy; add roux mixture to hot broth in stock pot and whisk well until mixture is blended well. Bring to a low-boil over medium heat, reduce heat to low and simmer 40 minutes; stir often along bottom to prevent roux from settling and potentially scorching. Skim and discard any foam that rises to the surface of the simmering mixture (this is very important to give the gumbo a smooth texture).

Heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat in an 8-quart heavy pot (do this at the same time that you are cooking your roux). Brown sausage; remove with a slotted spoon keeping drippings in the pot. Add onions; sauté 10 to 15 minutes or until browned. Spoon cooked onions to the outer edge of the pot while keeping the center clean. Add 1 tablespoon oil to center and top with chopped garlic; fry garlic 1 minute by itself (garlic needs to fry alone briefly to help release essential oils) then stir together with cooked onions. Add 1/4 cup water to deglaze plus bell pepper, celery, paprika, pepper, bay leaves and reserved sausage; sauté 10 minutes. Add roux/ broth mixture; bring to a simmer. Add whole quail & pheasant breast. Cover pot with a tight lid or foil and bake at {300°F for 3 to 4 hours} – {275 °F for 5 to 6 hours} or {250°F for 7 to 8 hours}. (by baking the gumbo in the oven, you don't have to stir it because it won't burn in an oven environment. Which means you can forget about it while it simmers all day while you lay on your couch, smoking your bong while watching live performances of Susan Tedeschi).

Remove pot from oven. Do not stir. Using a ladle or large spoon, skim all fat from gumbo surface and discard immediately (all of the fat will naturally rise to the top of gumbo, if you skim it, the gumbo will not be greasy, if you leave it, then you are an asshole). Using tongs, remove quail and pheasant and allow to cool slightly. Pick any remaining bones, chop meat and return to gumbo.

Add Kitchen Bouquet to darken gumbo, if your gumbo is not dark enough. Taste; adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and/or hot sauce (don't over salt. Peoples can add their own salt on the table). Serve hot with hot cooked rice, sliced green onions and hot crusty French bread.
    Last edited by HotBrownGravy; 01-24-2013, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• swag
      • Oct 2006

Sounds delicious. (And LOL at the italic & bold commentary).

Maybe it's time for a third volume of the Threadhead Cookbook.
      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• HotBrownGravy
        • Jan 2013

I just took this pic of the gumbo just after I stirred it and returned it to the oven.

Comment

• Carolina Beadhead
          • Oct 2006

Very nice. I can smell it from here... (I couldn't find an "ahhhhhhhhhhhh" emoticon.)

Comment

• rosetree
            • Nov 2006

Do you deliver?????

Comment

• HotBrownGravy
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by rosetree
              Do you deliver?????

I wish I had the time. Maybe tomorrow.
              BTW, Tomorrows soup is always better!

Comment

• Carolina Beadhead
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by HotBrownGravy
                Well, you know it takes up a LOT of time laying on your couch, smoking your bong while watching live performances of Susan Tedeschi.

Comment

• HotBrownGravy
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Carolina Beadhead
                  Well, you know it takes up a LOT of time laying on your couch, smoking your bong while watching live performances of Susan Tedeschi.
                  I am always guilty of watching Susan Tedeschi, but unfortunately, I don't smoke marijuana. My drug of choice is BEER!

Comment

• Jim
                    • Nov 2006

Looks great!

Comment

• that one guy from Kansas
                      • Aug 2010

Thanks for the recipe HBG, I am definitely giving that a shot soon, and I'll report on my results. Looks fabulous.

Comment

• innertube
                        • Jan 2008

i have never cooked gumbo in the oven.....hmmmm......

Comment

• HotBrownGravy
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by innertube
                          i have never cooked gumbo in the oven.....hmmmm......
                          It is like braising, except the meat is already chopped up. It follows the same principles as if you were to cook it in a slow-cooker. Its best if you use a non-reactive heavy pot, like stainless steel or porcelain coated cast-iron (such as Le Creuset). I do not recommend using a black-pot or an aluminum pot.

Comment

• rosetree
                            • Nov 2006

I'm at the studio from 9-5 tomorrow....lunch would be great !

Comment

• i wanna be in NOLA
                              • Aug 2007

I just took this pic of the gumbo just after I stirred it and returned it to the oven.

That looks fantastic. Thanks for the recipe (and comments). I'll definitely give it a try.

Comment

Working...