Bikes & Fest thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bikes & Fest thread?

I seem to remember a thread from last year about renting vs. buying bikes and donating bikes after fest...but can't find it using search. I will be in town for the whole shebang and want to consider my transportation options. Was there a consensus answer, or can somebody dig up a link that thread?

TIA
    CT

Huh. My search is working.
    Edit: Captain twister, unfortunately the search doesn't work for most folks on the bored.

I think this is the one you're looking for

Comment

I have both rented a bicycle in New Orleans as well as traveled with my own bicycle to New Orleans--hopefully I can lend some information on doing either. I ride a bike daily in my everyday life too.
      I've only rented from Bicycle Micheal's on Frenchman. Personally, I wouldn't rent from them again just because the cost was pretty high and my bike wasn't in the best shape. Otherwise, the experience was fine and if I had to chose between renting there and not having a bike at all, I'd totally rent from them again. I've heard good things about some other rental companies however.
      You could conceivably buy a crappy (heavy) bike at Wal Mart or Target for the same cost as renting, and then leave it behind. The often sketchy road surfaces in New Orleans are perfect for those big ol cruisers that you can buy at any major retailer.

I now travel with my bike. I've checked it on two major carriers (expensive), checked it on amtrak (cheap and easy) and brought it via vehicle. I love my bike, so this is the best option for me.

Might I suggest checking out this awesome company who I am considering buying from? : http://www.citizenbike.com/
      They make affordable and durable foldable bikes. For the cost of one bike rental in some city, you could purchase one of their lower cost foldables, and have it for a long time. They also have some cute styles.

Biking is the best, please enjoy safely!

Comment

I've often wondered why some of the THs, especially the ones who visit more than once a year, haven't gotten together to rent a space in a storage facility. We could keep bike, chairs, costumes; just all of the basic necessities.....

Comment

There's a French couple who stays at the same complex we've been staying at for the last few years - they have the owner store their bikes from year-to-year. I think they got their money's worth outta the deal! A co-op could buy a nice pre-fab shed and gently nudge a kind threadhead with a little property...

Comment

Originally posted by CEfromLA View Post
            I've often wondered why some of the THs, especially the ones who visit more than once a year, haven't gotten together to rent a space in a storage facility. We could keep bike, chairs, costumes; just all of the basic necessities.....
            We'd have one at the threadheads commune for sure.

Comment

We'd need 300 keys!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
                Huh. My search is working.
                Edit: Captain twister, unfortunately the search doesn't work for most folks on the bored.

I think this is the one you're looking for
                Thanks, that's the one!

Comment

bike, chairs, costumes; just all of the basic necessities.....
                  That list of "basic necessities" could get pretty long. And interesting. I love the idea, though. If someone could come up with a way to manage the logistics of it fairly easily (electronic payments; good, central location so you can walk to it when you come into town without a car; some "lockbox" with keys somewhere you could access 24/7, or, a combination lock that keys weren't needed for and someone could manage who and how people got access to the combo), I think it could actually work for people.

Comment

Bike Rental Wanted w/ Toddler Seat for 1st weekend

We'd love to use bikes to get around the city, but rental co's don't have any bikes with toddler seats (for a two year old) available. Would love to rent someone's bike (men's or women's) for 3 days: 4/25 am - 4/27 pm. Thinking $100 would be fair, but price is negotiable depending on condition of bike. Prefer one with gears, shocks and a bike lock. We're responsible parents just looking for a way to get around and see the sights. Would it help if we told you our daughter's name is Nola? Thanks

Comment

Bike Rental Wanted w/ Toddler Seat for 1st weekend

We'd love to use bikes to get around the city, but rental co's don't have any bikes with toddler seats (for a two year old) available. Would love to rent someone's bike (men's or women's) for 3 days: 4/25 am - 4/27 pm. Thinking $100 would be fair, but price is negotiable depending on condition of bike. Prefer one with gears, shocks and a bike lock. We're responsible parents just looking for a way to get around and see the sights. Would it help if we told you our daughter's name is Nola? Thanks

Comment

I am tempted to purchase a bike, seeing that it is my main form of transport back home, apart from foot power.

But all the pot holes in the road worry me. And I do not want to do any pushie stacking at fest time.

Comment

Debris and uneven road surfaces are among the perils of biking in NOLA. There's always stuff in the way and flat tires are a real concern. The Mrs. got one last year on our way to the fairgrounds which put a bit of a kink into our day.

Also playing in traffic there is a concern as most of them are not used to 'sharing the road' with bikes, at least not compared to here in Colorado.

It's a great fun and easy way to get around, but you do have to keep your wits about you.

Comment

We loved biking to/from Fest last year. Agree you need to pay attention of course, but it's very doable and we did not have issues with flats (knock on wood) or scary drivers. It does help to keep your eye out for glass on the road, not that you'll always see it in time or be able to miss it if you do, but can't hurt to be looking and try to miss it when you safely can. In the Quarter, cars go slow anyway and are used to seeing bikes. On Esplanade or other busy roads, there's room but you do need to be mindful.

But here's my question. How's the road construction going on Esplanade by now. Can anyone give us bikers a road report? Thanks!

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with these guys for buying a used bike? Any idea of the price range they might have? I like the sound of their mission.

http://bikeproject.org/

Any other new suggestions for a used or affordable bike ?
                              Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X