Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reaching out to all you COOKS for suggestions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaching out to all you COOKS for suggestions....

I am in an unusual situation and am asking for some suggestions and recommendations from any of you out there who love to cook.....

We have to go out an buy all new pots and pans as well as kitchen knives and mixmaster... since we had ours for more than 20 years and would appreciate some recommendations.. We had Farberware, cause that is what most people had way back when we got married and all... don't care about non stick I don't think- but am concerned cause so many pots/pans that we were checking out this weekend are sooooooooo heavy.... (can't imagine what they weigh when they are full!)

Can anyone recommend a brand or type of pots/pans or knives that you really? Anything that you've bought that you really hate or regret? It's amazing to me how many types and brands are out there...since we only plan to do this once- we'd would appreciate any recommendations...
    As for the mixmaster, I am inclined to get the Kitchenaide that I had cause it was wonderful...but again- it weighs a TON....

Any assistance is appreciated....

I have Calphalon cookware and I love it. It's heavy but that's a good thing. The thicker ones distribute the heat better. I also discovered if you break a lid, they will send you another. :-)

I also have a Kitchenaid Artisan 5 qt mixer and lover it, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina Beadhead View Post
      I have Calphalon cookware and I love it. It's heavy but that's a good thing. The thicker ones distribute the heat better. I also discovered if you break a lid, they will send you another. :-)

I also have a Kitchenaid Artisan 5 qt mixer and lover it, too.
      I have Calpholon too. There are two finishes, one that is intended to have things stick down so you can deglaze it and make sauces and the other one which is semi-nonstick. I also have a couple utilitarian cast-iron frying pans for those things that just work better in cast iron.

I have some 25-year old Le Cruiset that still works just fine. Especially the big stock pots for soups/jambalaya/etc.

Comment

When I graduated from High School (!!), I had this fantasy that I was going to move in with my then-boyfriend and live happily ever after.

That was 38 years ago; the boyfriend is LOOOOONG gone, but the copper-bottom set of Revere Ware pots and pans I bought using my graduation money is still going strong (as is my original Corningware)! Now, I tell people it's all 'vintage'!

Comment

My sister got me a heavy non-stick Curtis Stone frying pan that is so nice. I like the non-stick myself....

Comment

Another happy Calphalon owner here. We're still using the set we got as wedding presents almost 20 years ago. Admittedly, I love heavy cookware and utensils, and we registered for this because I was familiar with it from working in a lot of good restaurants and speaking with professional chefs. That said, if we were re-buying today I would probably go with All-Clad instead. Because of our need for a good non-stick frying pan, we used to just buy a cheap coated one and throw it away when it started to wear. We recently got a great one from GreenPan that we love and would highly recommend. You don't even need to use oil, and it is incredibly light. Great product and reasonably priced iirc.

On the knives, we registered for a Henckels set and I have not been thrilled with it (part of the issue may be attributable to the fact that the couple who purchased it got us a lower-end set than the one for which we registered; they didn't know the difference and were attracted by the fact that they got more knives for the money, and they were at an outlet). A few years ago a high-end cook supply store in our town was going out of business and I bucked up for a couple key Viking knives, a Wustof paring knife and a porcelain Kyocera knife. I love them all and highly recommend them. The Viking and Wustof are heavy (which I like) and need to be sharpened on occasion; the Kyocera is incredibly light, never needs sharpening and cuts like a Ginsu (or at least how the Ginsu commercial made it look like it cut). The porcelain is much more delicate though.

We have a large and small Le Creuset Dutch oven (they call them "French Oven" of course), and also really like and would recommend them. Again, they are very heavy, as you note. Sometimes I need to be hailed to remove the big one from the heat when very full because it is too heavy for the kids or Mrs. Lit to do safely.
            Last edited by Lit; 08-12-2013, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Love our set of Scanpan cookwear, especially the high-sided saute pan. Non-stick surface is incredibly durable, even stands up to metal utensils. For knives, we've had the same set of high-end Henckels for 30 years. Great knives, hold an edge a good long time. Don't forget to buy a steel...and use it!

Comment

I have Cuisinart cookware. It's heavy duty, cooks very evenly and is lighter weight than Caphalon. I have stainless but they make the same set in non-stick so you can mix and match.

I do a lot of cooking in my Dutch Oven - Lodge enamel coated is excellent and won't set you back like La Cruset. I also have a set of Lodge cast iron. Can't go wrong there.

I'm not as concerned with the brand of my knives as I am with shape and weight. I have small hands so a shorter kitchen knife works best for me. I just don't like the wooden holder. Never quite sure what could be growing in there.

Comment

something more that I didn't know - thanks Sue- YYR_ I Had the kitchenaid also.. it hurt when it got burned up....Barry used to think things magically expanded in that bowl- amazing sometimes how a recipe all of a sudden doubled

Comment

so maybe a couple of each? Interesting I hadn't thought about that- now I have to think about what I cook and what gets deglazed- etc...
                    thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by CEfromLA View Post
                      When I graduated from High School (!!), I had this fantasy that I was going to move in with my then-boyfriend and live happily ever after.

That was 38 years ago; the boyfriend is LOOOOONG gone, but the copper-bottom set of Revere Ware pots and pans I bought using my graduation money is still going strong (as is my original Corningware)! Now, I tell people it's all 'vintage'!
                      OMG- TFF, what a great story... thank you for sharing... yes, we also have a lot of vintage things.. but aren't they so cool these days..

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post
                        Another happy Calphalon owner here. We're still using the set we got as wedding presents almost 20 years ago. Admittedly, I love heavy cookware and utensils, and we registered for this because I was familiar with it from working in a lot of good restaurants and speaking with professional chefs. That said, if we were re-buying today I would probably go with All-Clad instead. Because of our need for a good non-stick frying pan, we used to just buy a cheap coated one and throw it away when it started to wear. We recently got a great one from GreenPan that we love and would highly recommend. You don't even need to use oil, and it is incredibly light. Great product and reasonably priced iirc.

On the knives, we registered for a Henckels set and I have not been thrilled with it (part of the issue may be attributable to the fact that the couple who purchased it got us a lower-end set than the one for which we registered; they didn't know the difference and were attracted by the fact that they got more knives for the money, and they were at an outlet). A few years ago a high-end cook supply store in our town was going out of business and I bucked up for a couple key Viking knives, a Wustof paring knife and a porcelain Kyocera knife. I love them all and highly recommend them. The Viking and Wustof are heavy (which I like) and need to be sharpened on occasion; the Kyocera is incredibly light, never needs sharpening and cuts like a Ginsu (or at least how the Ginsu commercial made it look like it cut). The porcelain is much more delicate though.

We have a large and small Le Creuset Dutch oven (they call them "French Oven" of course), and also really like and would recommend them. Again, they are very heavy, as you note. Sometimes I need to be hailed to remove the big one from the heat when very full because it is too heavy for the kids or Mrs. Lit to do safely.
                        Thanks Lit- we saw the green pan this weekend and they had a couple of sauce pans- but no lids! and I liked the All-Clad but they are too heavy for me..
                        I Have to go and play with the knives- I like some weight to them also- but I hate to have to sharpen- I always forget.. will have to check all out- thanks- I never heard of the Kyocera-
                        the problem is that we really don't have too much space- so I have to think all this out before buying...
                        appreciate all the info..

Comment

Originally posted by festivalgirl View Post
                          I just don't like the wooden holder. Never quite sure what could be growing in there.
                          WOW- Now that is something that we NEVER thought of - UGH>.. have to give that thought-

Comment

Originally posted by ohio View Post
                            Don't forget to buy a steel...and use it!
                            D'oh...and we were looking at each other trying to remember what that is called...thank you....
                            and thanks for the info- talk soon

Comment

We had to replace a bunch of kitchen stuff after a fire years ago and I got the copper bottom Revere ware to replace the copper bottom Revere ware with the melted handles. 2 years ago, my mother gave us a set of Paula Deen cookware and we LOVE it. I keep my pots and pans in a drawer and the Deen stuff stacks so well! It also has glass lids, which I love, and is a breeze to clean. It's not heavy at all but is very sturdy and feels substantial.

I used to have an assortment of knives (no knife block, a magnet strip mounted on the wall) of varying quality but I have gone almost exclusively to the ceramic knives. LOVELOVELOVE them. I still have, and use, a set of Fiskars from 30 years ago, and one really good chef's knife, but the rest of them are ceramic. I get the ceramic knives at Harbor Freight, use them 3-4 years and get new ones. Each generation of ceramic knife gets better and lasts longer than the previous and at $15-$20 each I don't mind replacing them occasionally. Keep the sheaths on them and just throw them in the drawer.

Comment

Working...
                              X