Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jazz Fest Speculation and Wish List (via Nolavie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MY GUESSES FOR HEADLINERS

Eric Clapton
    Robert Plant
    Bruce Springsteen
    Boz Scaggs
    Another Voice judge
    Maybe Mr. Brooks, He is doing a comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by kapeman View Post
      Now that she is healthy, there is no one I want to see more than Sharon Jones!!!
      I saw Sharon Jones sing with The Roots on Jimmy Fallon last night .She looked thinner and she just sat while she sang , which was different from her normal dynamic performances . But her voice sounded great . I'd love to see her at Jazzfest again ( hopefully not in the Blues tent )

Comment

I think she's performing on the show with the Dap-Kings tonight.

Comment

saw her at life is good fest a while back and she was amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
            I saw Sharon Jones sing with The Roots on Jimmy Fallon last night .She looked thinner and she just sat while she sang , which was different from her normal dynamic performances . But her voice sounded great . I'd love to see her at Jazzfest again ( hopefully not in the Blues tent )
            I saw that, too, and had the exact same impression. Didn't even recognize who she was until Fallon said it, and even then I thought I misheard until he said it the second time. She looked like a completely different person, but she sounded better than ever. Very interested to see her again now. And even when I saw her with the Dap Kings in the Blues Tent, it was a great set imo--we even danced in the aisle!

Comment

I'd like to give her another chance. I like her cd's but the time I saw her in SF, she admitted she didn't make it to the sound check and basically mailed in her performance. She tried to make it up at the end by doing the "shout out" to the crowd and then bringing folks on stage to dance.

Comment

bring on Joe Bonamassa

or some brits like :Anderson Miller, Snowy White, Jeremy Spencer or Peter Green

Comment

I don't really care who performs as long as they dress well.

*now that I spent an hour figuring out how to post a photo I'm going to go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                    I'd like to give her another chance. I like her cd's but the time I saw her in SF, she admitted she didn't make it to the sound check and basically mailed in her performance. She tried to make it up at the end by doing the "shout out" to the crowd and then bringing folks on stage to dance.
                    That sounds very out of character. Through countless performances over the last 12 years, I've never seen her mail it in. Over that time, she's certainly slowed down a bit, as I would imagine anyone would in aging from 45 to 57, but she's remained a very dynamic performer. I will say that some of the schtick (her running through all the sixties dances, pulling people on stage to dance, etc.) has become formulaic to my eyes, but people still seem to go nuts for it, and more importantly, the music has remained top-notch.

There was a great profile of Daptone Records in the Times a few years ago, and it basically painted her as somewhat crazy. That doesn't surprise me in the least, as she wouldn't be the first star with an outsized ego and an irrational line of thought. However, I've never seen that side of her on stage. While performing, she's always been professional and very enthusiastic, regardless of the circumstances.

There are lots of bands that do the retro soul thing these days, but there's a reason why every one of those acts looks up to Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings. They're in a class of their own.

Comment

Well said!

Comment

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings play HOB in nola on Feb. 22, so it is unlikely they will be here for fest.

I am thinking we will see Santana and Alabama Shakes and maybe Boz Scaggs, who sounded great last year. I am hoping that the rumblings about Paul McCartney are not just rumblings. I would love to see David Byrne, but I don't expect to. We will know soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by windowman View Post
                          I am hoping that the rumblings about Paul McCartney are not just rumblings.
                          I would be absolutely shocked if Paul McCartney DIDN'T play Fest this year, as he has performed at seemingly just about every other major music-fest in the USA over the past few years (Bonnaroo, Coachella, Outside Lands, Hangout Festival) so it seems like Jazzfest is very likely next on his rotation---I am sure he will prove to be an extremely popular draw for many, many Fest goers.

Comment

I am gonna bet that OUTKAST plays. 40 dates on their 20th anniversary tour. http://www.jambands.com/news/2014/01.../#.UtQZlbTSk3V

News

Archive

Published: 2014/01/13
                            Outkast to Celebrate 20 Years with 40 Shows

Outkast “will return to the stage with a full festival run of over 40 dates” to celebrate the 20th anniversary of their first album Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik. The hip-hop duo made the announcement today via their newly created social media platforms, posting a statement on Facebook that reads:

Outkast will return to the stage with a full festival run of over 40 dates to celebrate 20 years since Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik!

“Returning to the stage together is the most exciting way for us to thank everyone for their 20 years of supporting Outkast.” – Andre 3000

“I’m looking forward to rocking the stage with my Bro Ski and to all the fans – stank you smelly much, this is for y’all!” – Big Boi

Stay tuned for dates! #Outkast20 – Team Outkast

As previously reported, the group have already confirmed dates at Coachella and Governor’s Ball for later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post

While I have not purchased her CDs, my experience with SJ the Daptones is a replay of your description, except I have seen her twice. I really do want to like her, and if she shows up at JF this year, I'd give her another shot. But, for attendees of JF, there is a pretty huge safety net; just move to a different stage. So, for now, my Sharon Jones if Betty LaVette.

Comment

I don't know if it was mentioned but I believe Sharon Jones had a recent bout with cancer, which might explain her recent performances. When I saw her in 2009, she was a dancing dynamo who brought the house down.

Comment

Working...
                                X