Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ALL THINGS NRBQ

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I saw them in Boston and it was quite nearly up there with shows I've seen by the classic-era Q, they're really that good. They had the Whole Wheat Horns (seemed to be the same guys) and made good use of them on "The Stripper," a song I've never heard covered before! Other covers included BJ Thomas' "Everybody's Out Of Town" and a whole lot more...oddly, they did a bunch from the very early Scraps album, including its instrumental song (Tragic Magic, I believe?) Nearly all the hits and a bunch more obscurities including "Cecilia" (which Al used to sing, and I hadn't heard it in decades). Got the great "Christmas Wish" as well. Long live the Q.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by bRETT View Post
      I saw them in Boston and it was quite nearly up there with shows I've seen by the classic-era Q, they're really that good. They had the Whole Wheat Horns (seemed to be the same guys) and made good use of them on "The Stripper," a song I've never heard covered before! Other covers included BJ Thomas' "Everybody's Out Of Town" and a whole lot more...oddly, they did a bunch from the very early Scraps album, including its instrumental song (Tragic Magic, I believe?) Nearly all the hits and a bunch more obscurities including "Cecilia" (which Al used to sing, and I hadn't heard it in decades). Got the great "Christmas Wish" as well. Long live the Q.
      YYR, Brett. This band is right at home with the entire Q catalog. Did you see the most recent Boston show?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Kemp View Post
        "How do they sound so tight and so loose at the same time?"
        Thatís it in a nutshell. I canít fathom anyone who loves music of any stripe that wouldnít appreciate seeing them live.

        Btw I checked the set list for your show and you got ďAlmond GroveĒ as a Flat Five cover. Yes you told me the backstory before; and yes I would see any band in which Scott and Casey were members.

        In any event, canít wait until I can see them again.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Lit View Post
          Thatís it in a nutshell. I canít fathom anyone who loves music of any stripe that wouldnít appreciate seeing them live.

          Btw I checked the set list for your show and you got ďAlmond GroveĒ as a Flat Five cover. Yes you told me the backstory before; and yes I would see any band in which Scott and Casey were members.

          In any event, canít wait until I can see them again.
          I may have mentioned this on this thread, but I saw Linda Gail Lewis, Jerry Lee's younger sister, at The Richmond Folk festival this fall, enjoyed her show and purchased her latest cd, "Wild, Wild, Wild", a collaboration with Robbie Fulks. It's a recording worth having and most cuts feature Scott, Casey and Alex Smith (drummer for The Flat Five). And, yes, now I remember "Almond Grove". Where can I find this set list? And happy new year!

          Comment


          • Hey Kemp, I was at the show. Back right up on the riser. Good view for my foot shorter wife and sound was spot on. I was amused at your self description as 'old guy with idiotic grin' as that fit 90% of the crowd. Was hoping my yellow keyboard jazzfest shirt would conjur you up. I am positive that the dance/ cracking me up ratio was higher than any show ever. Terry of course plays the most ludicrous fills at time while amplifying,, not slowing down the boogie. Only saw them at sit down venues like '92 and 5 or so years ago and there tunes make you move.. Band was great. Most of my favs were played. Wild Weekend was a wedding song and it was day before our 25th anniversary. Serendipity.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by larrybalmur View Post
              Hey Kemp, I was at the show. Back right up on the riser. Good view for my foot shorter wife and sound was spot on. I was amused at your self description as 'old guy with idiotic grin' as that fit 90% of the crowd. Was hoping my yellow keyboard jazzfest shirt would conjur you up. I am positive that the dance/ cracking me up ratio was higher than any show ever. Terry of course plays the most ludicrous fills at time while amplifying,, not slowing down the boogie. Only saw them at sit down venues like '92 and 5 or so years ago and there tunes make you move.. Band was great. Most of my favs were played. Wild Weekend was a wedding song and it was day before our 25th anniversary. Serendipity.
              Wow. Sorry I missed you. Next time we will be more specific about our descriptions. It was indeed a great show and a wild weekend and I really like the funky Ottobar. Happy anniversary and happy new year!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Kemp View Post

                YYR, Brett. This band is right at home with the entire Q catalog. Did you see the most recent Boston show?
                Yes indeed-- the show I raved about happened on December 23.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Kemp View Post

                  I may have mentioned this on this thread, but I saw Linda Gail Lewis, Jerry Lee's younger sister, at The Richmond Folk festival this fall, enjoyed her show and purchased her latest cd, "Wild, Wild, Wild", a collaboration with Robbie Fulks. It's a recording worth having and most cuts feature Scott, Casey and Alex Smith (drummer for The Flat Five). And, yes, now I remember "Almond Grove". Where can I find this set list? And happy new year!
                  Thanks, I will look for that album. Here is the setlist link:

                  Get the NRBQ Setlist of the concert at Ottobar, Baltimore, MD, USA on December 29, 2018 and other NRBQ Setlists for free on setlist.fm!


                  Happy Q Year!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Lit View Post

                    Thanks, I will look for that album. Here is the setlist link:

                    Get the NRBQ Setlist of the concert at Ottobar, Baltimore, MD, USA on December 29, 2018 and other NRBQ Setlists for free on setlist.fm!


                    Happy Q Year!
                    Cool Website!

                    Comment


                    • Some upcoming dates. Not sure why they aren't on the schedule yet, but there are also May shows in Richmond and Virginia Beach.
                      March Friday 8 Outpost in the Burbs Montclair, NJ
                      March Saturday 9 Palace Theater Waterbury, CT
                      March Sunday 10 Stone Church Brattleboro, VT
                      March Friday 29 Safety Harbor Music and Arts Center Safety Harbor, FL
                      March Saturday 30 Funky Biscuit Boca Raton, FL
                      March Sunday 31 Cafe Eleven St. Augustine, FL
                      May Friday 17 3rd Annual Desperado's/Wax Museum Reunion at The Birchmere Alexandria, VA
                      Last edited by Kemp; 03-06-2019, 10:49 AM. Reason: stupidity

                      Comment


                      • Hey Kemp,coming to Fitzgeralds to see The Q on the 4th of July?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
                          Hey Kemp,coming to Fitzgeralds to see The Q on the 4th of July?
                          I can't say what I'll be doing on the fourth, John. We are in a state of transition, too, and may be headed back to NC for a while. I do have two Q shows here in Virginia, one on May 15 in Richmond and another on May 18 in Virginia Beach. And I may even sneak away to one or two more, one in Charlottesville and one in Northern Virginia if the wife won't kill me for doing so. I want to absorb all that sunshine while I can. Hope you're enjoying retirement. I am. Sometimes too much.

                          Comment


                          • I have been negligent in my duties. Here are some upcoming shows:
                            NRBQ
                            May Wednesday 15 The Tin Pan Richmond, VA
                            May Thursday 16 Avalon Theatre Easton, MD
                            May Friday 17 3rd Annual Desperado's/Wax Museum Reunion at The Birchmere Alexandria, VA
                            May Saturday 18 Elevation 27 Virginia Beach, VA
                            May Sunday 19 The Southern Charlottesville, VA
                            June Thursday 20 Shank Hall Milwaukee, WI
                            June Friday & Saturday 21 & 22 Midwest Conference 2019: The Hideout Chicago, IL
                            June Thursday 27 The Bishop Bloomington, IN
                            July Thursday 4 Fitzgerald's 38th American Music Festival Berwyn, IL
                            July Saturday 6 The Regent Theatre Arlington, MA
                            July Sunday 7 HighLifeStyle Show Central MA

                            Comment


                            • Once again I can't recommend The 4th of July at Fitzgerald's enough.Kind of like The Patry without the free beer and food.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                                I have been negligent in my duties. Here are some upcoming shows
                                Kemp, canít believe iíll Be away for the entire VA run, including show in my hometown. But, headed back to NOLA for sonís graduation. Great to meet you briefly in the OZ tent this year. Enjoy the shows!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X