Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did NRBQ play at Woodstock?

Comment

• NRBQ was actually scheduled to be the closer, but being all-around Nice Guys, they didn't want to upstage Hendrix, so instead they spent that weekend giving John Lennon and Paul McCartney helpful pointers on how they too could write songs that people would be sure remember after 50 years, like The Q's own timeless classic, "Tapdancin' Bats", instead of more pretentious, throwaway crap like "Let It Be".

(then they all went out Zydeco dancing)

Comment

• Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
        NRBQ was actually scheduled to be the closer, but being all-around Nice Guys, they didn't want to upstage Hendrix, so instead they spent that weekend giving John Lennon and Paul McCartney helpful pointers on how they too could write songs that people would be sure remember after 50 years, like The Q's own timeless classic, "Tapdancin' Bats", instead of more pretentious, throwaway crap like "Let It Be".

Up to your same old tricks.....*swag*...!!

Comment

NRBQ was actually scheduled to be the closer, but being all-around Nice Guys, they didn't want to upstage Hendrix, so instead they spent that weekend giving John Lennon and Paul McCartney helpful pointers on how they too could write songs that people would be sure remember after 50 years, like The Q's own timeless classic, "Tapdancin' Bats", instead of more pretentious, throwaway crap like "Let It Be".

NRBQ were offered spot at Woodstock, but, nice guys that they are (and terrible businessmen), they turned it down in order to honor a previously scheduled club date. The Q and Hendrix were friends and mutual admirers. Jimi used to go to their shows in New York and yell "Go Fergie, go!" during Steve Ferguson's guitar solos. Sir Paul hired the Q for a private party and after jamming with them asked Joey Spampinato for tips on how Joey made his electric bass sound so much like an upright. I'll take "Tapdancin' Bats" over "Revolution #9" any day (the Q know far more about jazz than that Liverpool band cares to). The Q have played with, wrote with and written about Boozoo Chavis and do play some zydeco. Not sure The Fabs ever did.

Comment

I've been away for a bit, but so just to make sure I have this straight, apparently now The Beatles were a world-class live band, NRBQ are as musically influential as The Beatles, and the guy who has blathered on & on for 15 years about being at Woodstock now says he actually left before Jimi Hendrix played 'cause he got too tired...

Anyone have some spare kind Xanny Bars to kick me down, after processing all of that my face is mollyfocking melting.
            -----------------------
            "Hell is empty, for all the devils are here"
            Wm. Shakespeare
            Its too bad they have the Internet in Poland....

Comment

• Originally posted by Gards View Post
              Did NRBQ play at Woodstock?
              No, nor did the Beatles...any other questions?

Comment

• Kemp & I & some others were in a serious discussion about the merits of NRBQ. I like the Q too, but think equating them with the Beatles is kind of ridiculous.
                All the wise ass comments from The Peanut Gallery are not appreciated....don't start

Comment

• Originally posted by revjimk View Post

No, nor did the Beatles...any other questions?
                  THANKS

Comment

• "Wchodzic', Fergie, wchodzic'!"

Comment

They did WAY more brilliant work than NRBQ in the time they lasted. Jimi or Janis didn't last long either
                      I like NRBQ, but c'mon....
                      I was just joshing. But part of the Qs charm is the wide variety and improvisation and spontaneity that time has afforded them the luxury to explore. I often wonder if Jimi had survived his era what kind of artist would he have been in 1978 or 1988 etc. maybe each lasted the right time for them and each has added brilliance to the enjoyment of music in their own way. Im not too much for ranking when it comes to music.

Comment

• Originally posted by Molo View Post

I was just joshing. But part of the Qs charm is the wide variety and improvisation and spontaneity that time has afforded them the luxury to explore. I often wonder if Jimi had survived his era what kind of artist would he have been in 1978 or 1988 etc. maybe each lasted the right time for them and each has added brilliance to the enjoyment of music in their own way. Im not too much for ranking when it comes to music.
                        Ever see Jamaican guitarist Ernest Ranglin? He always struck me as what Hendrix might have been if he'd lived into his 70s (not musical style, but vibe)... nothing to prove, totally funky yet totally relaxed & mellow....

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemp View Post

I always have. The Q are probably better than The Beatles ever were live, and live performances are what the Q are primarily about. The Beatles are really the only successful band that major record labels and the public allowed to be eclectic. They could do a silly kids song, a Buck Owens cover, a Ravi Shankar influenced sitar raga, a show tunes cover, corn ball English dance hall tunes, folk songs, Chuck Berry, Motown, Carl Perkins, pop songs, psychedelic music, hard rock, blues rock, ballads, and wild avant garde experimentation without studio execs telling them to cut the crap and give the people what they want. The Beatles were also very fortunate to have been assigned George Martin as their producer. I believe things would have been quite different without that collaboration and they made all their best music when Martin was involved. The Q are as, and arguably more, eclectic than the the Beatles, but every record label since their first one with Columbia in 1969 has reacted with befuddlement at NRBQ's vast musical diversity. The Q have also never had a good producer to interact with the way that Martin did with his assignment (Eddie Kramer may be the only exception). The Beatles locked themselves in the studio and left the road in 66 and produced recording masterpieces with Martin's help and unlimited budgets. Most of that music is their most tiresome to me now. Take what I consider the best Beatle music, the post Mercy Beat and pre-psychedelic stuff, music like the Hard Day's Night , Hellp album (English version) up to Rubber Soul and compare it to what the Q does, and I, and Bonnie, and many musicians and fans would put NRBQ and The Fab Four on the same level.
                          Actually we're comparing "apples & oranges".... how many Americans, or any of us, have ever seen the Beatles live? A few girls from my HS went to see them at Shea Stadium, but that was all about girls screaming & Beatles were nowhere near the brilliant band they eventually became. I've read about their live shows in the early days in Germany too, but once again, they were still playing covers of American rock'n roll songs. Their true genius was no doubt in their recordings, & yes, they had plenty of help.
                          NRBQ is a fun live band, & i dig 'em, but there are plenty of other bands I've liked better live. Nevilles Bros, The Band, & the Mavericks come to mind right away....
                          But I'm happy that you luv 'em so much....

Comment

Actually we're comparing "apples & oranges".... how many Americans, or any of us, have ever seen the Beatles live? A few girls from my HS went to see them at Shea Stadium, but that was all about girls screaming & Beatles were nowhere near the brilliant band they eventually became. I've read about their live shows in the early days in Germany too, but once again, they were still playing covers of American rock'n roll songs. Their true genius was no doubt in their recordings, & yes, they had plenty of help.
                            NRBQ is a fun live band, & i dig 'em, but there are plenty of other bands I've liked better live. Nevilles Bros, The Band, & the Mavericks come to mind right away....
                            But I'm happy that you luv 'em so much....
                            Thanks, Rev, I'm still with Bonnie.

Comment

• "The Q" was the most entertaining, improvisational and talented live bar band ever - but only when Al Anderson, Joey and Tom were around.......

Comment

• Saw the Q in 91 on a triple bill that included the Replacements. I'm not sure who was in the Q at that time. They were good, but not great. I could say the same for the Replacements, who actually broke up ON STAGE !!

Kemp and Bonnie are allowed their opinion. When I was six, I thought the Osmond Brothers were best ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X