Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ALL THINGS NRBQ

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Kemp View Post

    Who put the garlic in the glue?
    I don't know... soembody building a model Ferrari?

    Comment


    • Very good review of the Q's latest live album featuring the current lineup. Buy it; stream it; whatever, just hear it. And go see them live.

      http://www.elmoremagazine.com/2019/0...3bPZ4_q7yxfUAQ

      Comment


      • Listening to Mountain Stage as I type this. One of the artist being featured on this episode is Patty Griffin. Of course Patty is great, but on the drums she has Conrad Choucroun, who use to be with NRBQ.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by ice nine View Post
          Listening to Mountain Stage as I type this. One of the artist being featured on this episode is Patty Griffin. Of course Patty is great, but on the drums she has Conrad Choucroun, who use to be with NRBQ.
          Conrad was the late Tom Ardolino's handpicked choice to replace him if ever necessary in the Q. After Conrad's last child was born he left the Q to hang closer to his Texas home. His replacement Bobby Lloyd Hicks, another Texan and member of the old band The Skeletons, also passed away too soon. Currently the drum seat is occupied by twenty something Chicago resident John Perrin whose youthful energy keeps the band cooking. They are doing some Christmas shows so catch em if you can.
          December Thursday 26 The Birchmere Alexandria, VA
          December Friday 27 My Father's Place Roslyn, NY
          December Saturday 28 Hopewell Theater Hopewell, NJ
          December Sunday 29 Monty Hall Jersey City, NJ
          December Tuesday 31 Infinity Music Hall - HAPPY NEW YEAR! Norfolk, CT
          January Saturday-Sunday 25-26 Safety Harbor Art and Music Center Safety Harbor, FL
          January Wednesday-Monday Jan 29-Feb 3 Outlaw Music Cruise Miami, FL
          Last edited by Kemp; 12-17-2019, 07:13 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Kemp View Post

            Conrad was the late Tom Ardolino's handpicked choice to replace him if ever necessary in the Q. After Conrad's last child was born he left the Q to hang closer to his Texas home. His replacement Bobby Lloyd Hicks, another Texan and member of the old band The Skeletons, also passed away too soon. Currently the drum seat is occupied by twenty something Chicago resident John Perrin whose youthful energy keeps the band cooking. They are doing some Christmas shows so catch em if you can.
            December Thursday 26 The Birchmere Alexandria, VA
            December Friday 27 My Father's Place Roslyn, NY
            December Saturday 28 Hopewell Theater Hopewell, NJ
            December Sunday 29 Monty Hall Jersey City, NJ
            December Tuesday 31 Infinity Music Hall - HAPPY NEW YEAR! Norfolk, CT
            January Saturday-Sunday 25-26 Safety Harbor Art and Music Center Safety Harbor, FL
            January Wednesday-Monday Jan 29-Feb 3 Outlaw Music Cruise Miami, FL
            You going to the Birchmere? Too bad they are not hitting the dive bar in Baltimore. Only time I saw the classic Big Al line-up was at the Birchmere early 90's. Unforgettable show.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ice nine View Post
              Listening to Mountain Stage as I type this. One of the artist being featured on this episode is Patty Griffin. Of course Patty is great, but on the drums she has Conrad Choucroun, who use to be with NRBQ.
              That's the show with Nick Lowe and Los Straightjackets, right? I was at the taping; will have to listen to it.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by larrybalmur View Post

                You going to the Birchmere? Too bad they are not hitting the dive bar in Baltimore. Only time I saw the classic Big Al line-up was at the Birchmere early 90's. Unforgettable show.
                Nope. Too many Christmas obligations and we are located in NC most of the time these days. The Birch is not my favorite Q venue because it's a sit down place, but I have seen some great shows there by them and others, too. If you go, give a report. Yeah, I liked the Ottobar and hope they play it again and I can go.

                Comment


                • Interesting article about the boys with mentions and comparisons and commentary on The Stones and The Dead. He might be right about The Dead boys, but The Stones summer tour kicked massive ass and shut up many who had given up on them. Looking forward to seeing the Q on the Outlaw Country Cruise next week and hoping there will be a lot of interaction with the other acts: Mavericks, Lucinda, Richard Fulks, Steve Earle and Mojo Nixon (both big Q fans) and many others, but you never know.

                  https://spectrumculture.com/2018/03/...eBOtaHCFZuHjVc
                  Last edited by Kemp; 01-23-2020, 06:11 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Thought I'd bump this up in case Kemp is preoccupied.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
                      Thought I'd bump this up in case Kemp is preoccupied.
                      Thank you! I have been somewhat preoccupied these days, but enough of that. Here is an article by Dylan biographer and singer/songwriter Larry "Ratso" Sloman about the recent Outlaw Country Cruise that fans of Dylan, Kinky Friedman, Kristofferson, Dale Watson and others may find of interest. Oh yes, NRBQ is included as well (although not nearly as much as they should have been). Stay safe, be smart and have fun, friends.

                      Comment


                      • Let's do the bump. I know that somewhere back in this old thread the famous ABB/Q/Rusty Nail collision is discussed, but very little else is going on these days so I will submit a bloggers collection of four or five different accounts of this infamous Massachusetts incident which features the Ardolino/Anderson Q, Greg Allman, Dickie Betts, Butch Trucks, Bonnie Bramlett and Mormon favorite Bonnie Raitt: http://turndownthatstupidmusic.blogs...uch-night.html
                        Last edited by Kemp; 05-25-2020, 09:27 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Wow! This old Bored looks like the overspill lot at a Tulsa Trump rally. Oh well. Here's a great article on NRBQ founding member and musician extraordinaire Joey Spampinato. Joey, of course, left the Q after about forty years about 15 years ago and formed The Spampinato Brothers with sibling and former Q guitarist Johnny Spampinato. This article explains Joey's playing style and musical philosophy in an entertaining way. Sure missing Q shows. Stay safe, y'all. https://www.knowyourbassplayer.com/b...INXVBWcAB4jBHc
                          Last edited by Kemp; 5 days ago.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                            Wow! This old Bored looks like the overspill lot at a Tulsa Trump rally. Oh well. Here's a great article on NRBQ founding member and musician extraordinaire Joey Spampinato. Joey, of course, left the Q with his brother after about forty years about 15 years ago and formed The Spampinato Brothers with sibling and former Q guitarist Johnny Spampinato. This article explains Joey's playing style and musical philosophy in an entertaining way. Sure missing Q shows. Stay safe, y'all. https://www.knowyourbassplayer.com/b...INXVBWcAB4jBHc
                            Whats a Yankee got to do with Louisiana Music?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Gards View Post

                              Whats a Yankee got to do with Louisiana Music?
                              They were offered a gig at Woodstock, but turned it down? They were supposed to play Jazz Fest but got rained out? Yankees are people, too! sorta.

                              Comment


                              • Just heard (for 1st time) the Long Ryders version of I Want You Bad. Added to Dan Baird’s fine cover, any other versions you know of? And is there a more- covered Q tune?

                                related: KVMR radio in Nevada City will be streaming archived sets from High Sierra Music Festival all weekend, and they’re featuring NRBQ’s set from 1993 at 1:40 PST on Sunday. It was at the original Leland Meadows location and had the Q headlining along with JJ Cale and Joe Ely (!) - wa-a-ay before my time... I never even made It when they were at the Bear Valley location.
                                Last edited by duende; 4 days ago.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X