ALL THINGS NRBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by duende View Post
    Just heard (for 1st time) the Long Ryders version of I Want You Bad. Added to Dan Baird’s fine cover, any other versions you know of? And is there a more- covered Q tune?

related: KVMR radio in Nevada City will be streaming archived sets from High Sierra Music Festival all weekend, and they’re featuring NRBQ’s set from 1993 at 1:40 PST on Sunday. It was at the original Leland Meadows location and had the Q headlining along with JJ Cale and Joe Ely (!) - wa-a-ay before my time... I never even made It when they were at the Bear Valley location.
    Thanks! This will be worth hearing, folks!

Comment

Just heard (for 1st time) the Long Ryders version of I Want You Bad. Added to Dan Baird’s fine cover, any other versions you know of? And is there a more- covered Q tune?

related: KVMR radio in Nevada City will be streaming archived sets from High Sierra Music Festival all weekend, and they’re featuring NRBQ’s set from 1993 at 1:40 PST on Sunday. It was at the original Leland Meadows location and had the Q headlining along with JJ Cale and Joe Ely (!) - wa-a-ay before my time... I never even made It when they were at the Bear Valley location.
      The Flamin Groovies have done "I Want You Bad" too.

Comment

• That was an interesting trip down the YouTube rabbit hole - a Charlie Robison Cover, whoever the heck The Clark’s were (my PA connections were mostly about Philly musicians), and oh-yeah!, post-Rockpile Dave Edmund’s cover, regrettably over-produced by Jeff Lynne.

Comment

That was an interesting trip down the YouTube rabbit hole - a Charlie Robison Cover, whoever the heck The Clark’s were (my PA connections were mostly about Philly musicians), and oh-yeah!, post-Rockpile Dave Edmund’s cover, regrettably over-produced by Jeff Lynne.

I heard that Lord Horror had a hand in that production.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemp View Post

I heard that Lord Horror had a hand in that production.
            Perhaps so, but according to barroom scuttlebut down at the Olde Queen & the Randy Knave, that was long before he had ever heard the term "Boogaloo"

(although somewhat after he "discovered" credit cards)

Comment

• Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

Perhaps so, but according to barroom scuttlebut down at the Olde Queen & the Randy Knave, that was long before he had ever heard the term "Boogaloo"

(although somewhat after he "discovered" credit cards)
              Don't know what you mean by all that (as usual). I was just trying to rouse the old boy to a Bored appearance. Actually I like Jeff Lynne when he doesn't overdo it. What has that got to do with whatever we're talking about? Oh yeah, NRBQ. I have a friend who has a Spotify playlist of the original versions of songs that NRBQ had covered in their career. So far it is close to 24 hours long and growing. Can the Dead top that?
              Last edited by Kemp; 07-02-2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Don't know what you mean by all that (as usual). I was just trying to rouse the old boy to a Bored appearance. Actually I like Jeff Lynne when he doesn't overdo it. What has that got to do with whatever we're talking about? Oh yeah, NRBQ. I have a friend who has a Spotify playlist of the original versions of songs that NRBQ has covered in their career. So far it is close to 24 hours long and growing. Can the Dead top that?
                A somewhat knowledgeable music magazine publisher and radio presenter that I know is highly critical of a lot of the production stuff that Jazzy Jeff Lynne has done with various artists
                over the years, and gets quite angry about it

And what has this got to do with Lord Horror?

Well I wonder if Jazzy Jeff Lynne has produced any Bounce stuff?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gards View Post

A somewhat knowledgeable music magazine publisher and radio presenter that I know is highly critical of a lot of the production stuff that Jazzy Jeff Lynne has done with various artists
                  over the years, and gets quite angry about it

And what has this got to do with Lord Horror?

Well I wonder if Jazzy Jeff Lynne has produced any Bounce stuff?
                  I know musicians for whom the name of Jeff Lynne incites anger as well. Lord Horror is a big ELO fan and even wore a Jeff Lynne shirt to The Patry one year, which is his right as a non-American citizen. A better question is what does this have to do with the price of beer in Poland?
                  Last edited by Kemp; 07-02-2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• Hey Matthew,what’s your take on The Polish election?

Comment

That was an interesting trip down the YouTube rabbit hole - a Charlie Robison Cover, whoever the heck The Clark’s were (my PA connections were mostly about Philly musicians), and oh-yeah!, post-Rockpile Dave Edmund’s cover, regrettably over-produced by Jeff Lynne.

Note that Jeff Lynne did not produce this. He did only two tracks on that album and Edmunds did the rest himself, pretty much working in Lynne's style.

Comment

• Originally posted by bRETT View Post

Note that Jeff Lynne did not produce this. He did only two tracks on that album and Edmunds did the rest himself, pretty much working in Lynne's style.
                        I still couldn’t see which 2 tunes he worked on when I checked Allmusic. I don’t hate the guy’s work, but it’s another of the major dividers in popular music if you’re my age - are you more a Beatles fan or more a Stones fan? And who would throw out the Traveling Wilburys with the bath water?

Comment

• High Sierra is doing a virtual take like Jazz Fest did. Sunday, July 5 including NRBQ at 1:40. Happy Fourth. Remember, light and run away! 1:40 PM EST.

https://www.facebook.com/highsierram...&theater&ifg=1
                          Last edited by Kemp; 07-05-2020, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• That was a smoking Q set from High Sierra. One of the last from the Al/Joey/Ardolino era. A full moon, the Fourth of July and the Q!

Comment

• We may have a raging lunatic in the White House. We may have a raging pandemic. We may have our economy tanking. We may have our music festivals canceled. But, it's still Friday and....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEsT...CUKcdcG0izEtx0

Comment

• Green River Festival is broadcasting old sets similar to Jazz Fest, 6pm Eastern (right now) it kicks off with none other than NRBQ. Not sure which year this is from. Here's the link.

Last edited by CTMuleman; 07-10-2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X