• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revjimk View Post
    "Can any other band top it?"
    More like "can any other man TYPE it"!
    Copy and Paste are my friends.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Certainly not one who puts out their own albums and has themselves written a lot of great tunes.

I just went through all of the live NRBQ shows I have in my computer (around 25) from 1975 up until 2014. Only a few sound real good but it was fun listening to them over so many years. I like the ones from the 80s and early 90s the best, mostly due to the material they played and that's when I saw them play live myself. I have some great shows from the 70s but most of my favorite Q tunes had yet to be written. They haven't really played down here in New Orleans much over the years, at least the years that I've lived here. I'd love to see them at The Maple Leaf, One Eyed Jacks or Tips. OK, at this point I'd love to see almost anyone at one of those joints!
      Yeah, I'm always disappointed at the sound quality of most of the Q Boots that I've heard. There are soundboard recordings of practically every Q show ever played that rest in the vaults of NRBQ Headquarters. Terry says tons of stuff will be released when the time is right. On the cruise last February, he told a friend of mine to expect some live recordings from the Q of the first two albums, the Tom Staley/Frankie Gadler/Steve Ferguson/Joey Spampinato/Terry Adams band, "very soon". I know many people are partial to Al, but Ferguson ("Fergie") is my all time favorite of all the four Q guitarists. The one time I heard him and Terry play it was like telepathy between them. They finished each others sentences.
      Last edited by Kemp; 07-27-2020, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Which one?
        Lizzo?

Comment

• Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

Lizzo?
          I thought she was Polish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gards View Post

Great list.

But it looks like a certain English Rock Band are a surprising omission.
            I've seen them do "Satisfaction" out of the Magic Box.

Comment

• Originally posted by bRETT View Post

I've seen them do "Satisfaction" out of the Magic Box.
              Yep, and I've seen them do it just as a number. They have a done a few other Stones songs from time to time. Kinks as well.

Comment

Yeah, I'm always disappointed at the sound quality of most of the Q Boots that I've heard. There are soundboard recordings of practically every Q show ever played that rest in the vaults of NRBQ Headquarters. Terry says tons of stuff will be released when the time is right. On the cruise last February, he told a friend of mine to expect some live recordings from the Q of the first two albums, the Tom Staley/Frankie Gadler/Steve Ferguson/Joey Spampinato/Terry Adams band, "very soon". I know many people are partial to Al, but Ferguson ("Fergie") is my all time favorite of all the four Q guitarists. The one time I heard him and Terry play it was like telepathy between them. They finished each others sentences.
                I really dug Steve’s Mid-West Creole Ensemble recordings, he had a different songwriter’s hook thing goin’ versus Big Al. Hard to imagine 12-bar Blues (on SXM while I was driving in my car earlier) With anyone else, but that’s true of Steve’s tunes, too. And I guess one benefit of living in Kentucky would be being close enough to catch the Louisiana Sluggers shows and maybe still manage to avoid Beatle Bob.
                Last edited by duende; 07-27-2020, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I have that Steve Ferguson album "Mama U-Seapa" from back in the 90s which was very New Orleans sounding.

I think people love Big Al for his songs, singing and personality more than his guitar playing.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I have that Steve Ferguson album "Mama U-Seapa" from back in the 90s which was very New Orleans sounding.

I think people love Big Al for his songs, singing and personality more than his guitar playing.
                    He ain't no slouch as a guitarist either. Steve Ferguson was the virtuoso. Al was the affable triple threat singer/songwriter/picker. Johnny Spampinato added some Beatlesque and pop punch as well as harmonized with his brother in an Everly way. Scott Ligon has absorbed all of that and continues the tradition.

Comment

• Coming Soon!

https://youtu.be/U4wAPW3ABeI?fbclid=...zgZUW6mz7E7AEA

Comment

• The Q, like most musicians, can't perform these days so their music rich recording vaults are being raided and released. As Terry puts it, "What's a nice song like you doing on a tape like this?" Nice article and interview here. My copy arrived yesterday. Stay safe and dig sounds, friends:

https://jimbessman.com/blog/?p=1608&...lFnTbHfaGIs5Is

Comment

• Tonight at 8:00 a classic recording from a July, 1992 live show on the Santa Monica pier. This will be the Al Anderson, Terry Adams, Joey Spampinato, Tom Ardolino lineup of which many of you are so fond, along with The Whole Wheat Horns with Donn Adams and Gary Windo. Also starring unhinged percussionist Don T Allen on monkey skulls. Apparently streamable only on NRBQ Headquarters on Facebook.

NRBQ / Santa Monica Pier 1992 - Listening Party! Saturday 8 pm
                          ➡︎ Streaming on NRBQ Headquarters Sat Feb 27
                          NRBQ and the W W Horns + performed
                          on the Santa Monica Pier on July 16, 1992 BE THERE!
                          Sat Feb 27
                          8:00 pm EST
                          11.00pm EST
                          Sun Feb 28
                          2:00 pm EST
                          10:30 pm EST
                          Last edited by Kemp; 02-27-2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Tonight at 8:00 a classic recording from a July, 1992 live show on the Santa Monica pier. This will be the Al Anderson, Terry Adams, Joey Spampinato, Tom Ardolino lineup of which many of you are so fond, along with The Whole Wheat Horns with Donn Adams and Gary Windo. Also starring unhinged percussionist Don T Allen on monkey skulls. Apparently streamable only on NRBQ Headquarters on Facebook.

Sat Feb 27
                            11.00pm EST
                            Sun Feb 28
                            Now you're talking my "Q" lineup. Unfortunately, I will miss due to my Facebook "boycott". I am curious, though, based on your clear "encyclopedic" knowledge of NRBQ, have they ever produced a studio album that can touch "Live at Yankee Stadium"? In my view, a "Top 10" Desert Island (studio rock) Disc if there ever was one....

Comment

• Originally posted by FestJester View Post

Now you're talking my "Q" lineup. Unfortunately, I will miss due to my Facebook "boycott". I am curious, though, based on your clear "encyclopedic" knowledge of NRBQ, have they ever produced a studio album that can touch "Live at Yankee Stadium"? In my view, a "Top 10" Desert Island (studio rock) Disc if there ever was one....
                              Not a live album, it was called NRBQ at Yankee Stadium because of the cover shot of the four members sitting in the otherwise empty venue. But Yankee Stadium, like the Dead's American Beauty, is probably the most accessible starting point for a band whose reputation is mainly built on eclectic and unpredictable live shows. From the Anderson and Ardolino era Message For The Mess Age and Grooves in Orbit aren't far behind and Tap-dancing Bats only veers into Sun Ra space music momentarily on the title cut. From the new Q, Brass Tacks featuring three fourths of the current band ain't bad at all.

Comment

Tonight at 8:00 a classic recording from a July, 1992 live show on the Santa Monica pier. This will be the Al Anderson, Terry Adams, Joey Spampinato, Tom Ardolino lineup of which many of you are so fond, along with The Whole Wheat Horns with Donn Adams and Gary Windo. Also starring unhinged percussionist Don T Allen on monkey skulls. Apparently streamable only on NRBQ Headquarters on Facebook.

Sat Feb 27
                                11.00pm EST
                                Sun Feb 28
                                Nice! I'll definitely listen and record. Late 80s/early 90s is when I used to see them a lot in NYC.

Comment

Working...
                                X