Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the REVIVALISTS DeSTroYeD me this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the REVIVALISTS DeSTroYeD me this weekend.

Ohhh boy. so good, so weird. I'll post my weekend's story, including The Revivalists section in the next post but, I gotta tell ya I don't flip out over many bands (yeah right!) but this one flipped me out huge time. Like the first time I saw Galactic flip out. Or Cheese (7-04-98), Bob Marley, Spearhead, or Springsteen flip out. FLIPPED OUT.

My second time seeing them, at High Sierra where, they kind of were on too early. I dug the crap out of them and thought they wwre the bans everybody missed last year and they really intrigued me though and was thinking they would be a perfect late night band. My trip hadn't started yet... I was right, that was not a problem this weekend, playing the late night.

The hair it is a weapon unto itself now too.

They gotta get some more songs, but that will come.

More facial reconstruction needed....?

Comment

Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
      More facial reconstruction needed....?
      Without a doubt.

From this facebook posting: https://www.facebook.com/notes/ben-b...52516288649124

After the Dead Winter Carpenters Sat night show I,

Went directly over to The Revivalists in the red room. And well, I gotta tell ya, this band=ABSOLUTE MONSTERS. What was so obvious was how professional this band was. Not wanting to diss DWC specifically, but the difference was so obvious between them (and most other jambands'y bluegrassers) it was unreal. It was like everyone in the band was Julliard trained and could do that jamband thing in their sleep. The grasp of sound was truly incredible with stunning vocal tricks and sound that was coming from everywhere and nowhere all at the same time. The pedal steel (yeah in a heavy metal funk band) was so eerie and haunting and amazing. The horns, everything absolutely perfect. Some popness to it too, but those songs disappeared into complete chaos later. Rough as hell at times, but they were stretching it out so far, you could tell that every single song was going places they never took them before. The only band that I can even come close to compare them with is My Morning Jacket (but MMJ doesn't have the pop sensibilities, or play all loosey goosey, that The Revivalists do) and that would be before the polish. The leader guy is amazing, using two mics at the same time with his gravelly voice, weird effects, really really effectively. His hair is now a visual aid too, (he has left it uncut since High Sierra apparently) and when he gets it moving it is quite the sight. Easily my new favorite band and a "Bob Marley/Bruce Springsteen" moment for me. Seriously these guys are so good now it is not funny.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
        Without a doubt.

From this facebook posting: https://www.facebook.com/notes/ben-b...52516288649124

After the Dead Winter Carpenters Sat night show I,

Went directly over to The Revivalists in the red room. And well, I gotta tell ya, this band=ABSOLUTE MONSTERS. What was so obvious was how professional this band was. Not wanting to diss DWC specifically, but the difference was so obvious between them (and most other jambands'y bluegrassers) it was unreal. It was like everyone in the band was Julliard trained and could do that jamband thing in their sleep. The grasp of sound was truly incredible with stunning vocal tricks and sound that was coming from everywhere and nowhere all at the same time. The pedal steel (yeah in a heavy metal funk band) was so eerie and haunting and amazing. The horns, everything absolutely perfect. Some popness to it too, but those songs disappeared into complete chaos later. Rough as hell at times, but they were stretching it out so far, you could tell that every single song was going places they never took them before. The only band that I can even come close to compare them with is My Morning Jacket (but MMJ doesn't have the pop sensibilities, or play all loosey goosey, that The Revivalists do) and that would be before the polish. The leader guy is amazing, using two mics at the same time with his gravelly voice, weird effects, really really effectively. His hair is now a visual aid too, (he has left it uncut since High Sierra apparently) and when he gets it moving it is quite the sight. Easily my new favorite band and a "Bob Marley/Bruce Springsteen" moment for me. Seriously these guys are so good now it is not funny.
        I'm glad you like them. I saw them once a year ago and they didn't do it for me. I got bored after about 45 minutes. With all due respect, do you really think this band is on a level with Bob Marley or Springsteen? I also didn't get the feeling they were at a level of "Julliard trained" musicians. They're good but when I saw them I came away thinking they were just a really good bar band.

Comment

What I mean is that it was CLICK, with the band. You all also gotta remember that Bob Marley was a bar band and so was Springsteen. Marley played to less than 1000 at UC Davis in 78 at the very height of his popularity, and Springsteen played bars until BTR tour. (Which is when I had that moment with both of those artists) And yeah, it was that good. The difference between the two late night shows I saw and the day time sets at High Sierra was amazing. Like Galactic, I think they have two types of shows and the late nights are always more ARGGGGGGGGG! than the day timers or the openers. More psychedelic.

Comment

I don't understand why they aren't big stars by now, playing ten thousand seat arenas, heard on the radio. What do they lack?

Comment

Originally posted by BigDag View Post
              I don't understand why they aren't big stars by now, playing ten thousand seat arenas, heard on the radio. What do they lack?
              Probably the willingness to do what it takes to do that. Lots of bands are pretty damn good and never got past the bar or mid day festival level. The Radiators come to mind immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDag View Post
                I dunno, but the answer is something every touring act would like to have. Seems like Nola based acts generally have a tough time making the national breakthrough. Maybe because the more powerful forces in the business are located elsewhere...?
                I love them, a highlight of multiple fests last year and will be again this season! Hopefully they get some evening slots this year. Last year their sets that I saw were early in the day. Crowds loved them, but the crowds are always small at that time of day.

Comment

The band really cemented my good time at FiyaFest and after seeing'em for extended sets at High Sierra Music Fest I'm a believer. Ed Williams on the steel is a force, but the thing that really gives the band a leg up is David Shaw - and love'em, or hate'em, lead singers (he can play a bit of guitar, too) can elevate a band up and out of the journeyman echelon and up in the rarified air. And the pedal steel used in this context is relatively "new", with the Pentecostal players going into secular music. The country guys I'd heard in rock'n'roll situations didn't bring the same ethic to their playing or this might've happened earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
                    The band really cemented my good time at FiyaFest and after seeing'em for extended sets at High Sierra Music Fest I'm a believer. Ed Williams on the steel is a force, but the thing that really gives the band a leg up is David Shaw - and love'em, or hate'em, lead singers (he can play a bit of guitar, too) can elevate a band up and out of the journeyman echelon and up in the rarified air. And the pedal steel used in this context is relatively "new", with the Pentecostal players going into secular music. The country guys I'd heard in rock'n'roll situations didn't bring the same ethic to their playing or this might've happened earlier.
                    I think Shaw is more than a lead singer/guitar player, he is a force. Very dynamic, one of the most dynamic young guys I can think of. And the steel guitar, you nailed it exactly. Very different, not just the steel guitar you hear every day, more like the steel guitar of "Dirty Business" than "Teach Your Children" (to fulfill today's required Jerry Garcia reference quota).... that way out there thing like Aubrey Ghent does...even more out there cuz it got way lost the other night.

You know, I think they are going the jamband way and that means no labels keep it friendly, in house etc. They do have a couple of songs that are very pop ish however and could be radio songs (even said as much watching them) but they ain't. Still a very young band and that I love, seeing bands when they are just getting going.

Have the Revivalists played their 1000th show yet?

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
                      but the thing that really gives the band a leg up is David Shaw - and love'em, or hate'em, lead singers (he can play a bit of guitar, too) can elevate a band up and out of the journeyman echelon and up in the rarified air.
                      Kind of reminds me of that Yim Yames guy. Shaw has THAT.

Comment

I too absolutely love the revivalists. They rock, funk it out and jam it out all while having one of the best lead singers in the business. They are playing bigger clubs and selling them out all over the country this last 12 months. Not too soon they will move to a bigger shed. One thing I don't see is any tapers or live show downloads available, which I think would help to spread their music. Don't know their policy on this, but I think the live show trading and such can really help a band such as this grow.

Comment

Some YOUTUBES out.

Comment

https://archive.org/details/The_revi...2.09.22_Flac16 somen archive, nothing newer than 2012 though.....

some youtubes too< i watched one that was pretty good from last summer. short though.

Comment

After seeing them play at Fiya Fest during Jazzfest I have added them to one of must see in the future lists. They don't come to Boston often but I am GOING next time they do.

Comment

Working...
                              X