How Did Bob Dylan Get So Weird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shakespeare he's in the alley...

Anyone else hear Dylan's acceptance speech/diatribe from the 2015 MusiCares Awards show last night?

Truly bizarre, even for him, as he apparently felt the need to publicly sass ol' Merle Haggard (is he even still alive?) while praising The Turtles; He might be the strangest guy in music, which is really an accomplishment in and of itself...
    Last edited by MormonMatthew; 02-07-2015, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• I have heard several song from Bobs new album, on Off The Record, on which he does tunes that were once performed by I think, Old Blue Eyes.

They did not do much for me.

But I have heard that it got a 5 star review somewhere. And no doubt peoples thoughts will vary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gards View Post
        I have heard several song from Bobs new album, on Off The Record, on which he does tunes that were once performed by I think, Old Blue Eyes.

They did not do much for me.

But I have heard that it got a 5 star review somewhere. And no doubt peoples thoughts will vary.
        Don't like what I've heard at all. Hasn't made me want to hear more.

Comment

• http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ry.html#page=1

my favorite part
          What have I done to deserve this special attention? No vocal range? When's the last time you heard Dr. John? Why don't you say that about him? Slur my words, got no diction. Have you people ever listened to Charley Patton or Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters. Talk about slurred words and no diction. [Inaudible] doesn't even matter.

"Why me, Lord?" I would say that to myself.
          Last edited by McGregor; 02-07-2015, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• B
            Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
            Anyone else hear Dylan's acceptance speech/diatribe from the 2015 MusiCares Awards show last night?

Truly bizarre, even for him, as he apparently felt the need to publicly sass ol' Merle Haggard (is he even still alive?) while praising The Turtles; He might be the strangest guy in music, which is really an accomplishment in and of itself...
            I don't know Matthew reading the transcript, it sounds pretty reasonable. Lots of truth there.

Comment

• Confounding expectations. Yep. That's what he does.

One thing that always surprises me, but probably shouldn't, is how many really, really famous and accomplished people seem to remember every slight. Even the ones who seem above it like Dylan. I remember being stunned hearing Michael Jordan's HoF induction speech when he went out of his way to focus on and thank all the people who doubted or slighted him on his way up.

For anyone who has seen Birdman, I think a lot of people--greats and not-so-greats--hear that same type of voice in their heads. Dylan is seen by many as someone who gives "zero fucks" about what others think, and this speech shows that just the opposite is true: Dylan cares about that--a lot.

Comment

• I think if we ever get to see him deliver this speech it will be far more amusing than reading it. Hey Bob just being Bob. You're going to miss this guy when he's gone. Here is a all too short clip from it.
                http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/vi...edia/1.2232045

Comment

• Originally posted by stynger View Post
                  I think if we ever get to see him deliver this speech it will be far more amusing than reading it. Hey Bob just being Bob. You're going to miss this guy when he's gone. Here is a all too short clip from it.
                  http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/vi...edia/1.2232045
                  You are right.

Comment

• I just read the entire transcript of the speech and I enjoyed it immensely. It is stylistically similar to reading Chronicles. When I read the isolated digs at Tom T Hall and others, they seemed petty, but in context they are used to make bigger points about the music industry and songwriting in general. No expectations were confounded, just Bob being Bob, not the Mike Love thing it was reported as being on Facebook and elsewhere.
                    Last edited by Kemp; 02-08-2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-stories-below

Comment

• Outstanding speech! I could totally feel where he was coming from.
                        "What do you do for a living, man?"
                        "Oh, I confound expectations."
                        indeed

Comment

• Originally posted by Lit View Post
                          Confounding expectations. Yep. That's what he does.

One thing that always surprises me, but probably shouldn't, is how many really, really famous and accomplished people seem to remember every slight. Even the ones who seem above it like Dylan.

Dylan is seen by many as someone who gives "zero fucks" about what others think, and this speech shows that just the opposite is true: Dylan cares about that--a lot.
                          Perfectly stated, and exactly what I took away from his speech as well.

For the record, in my opinion, Bob Dylan is the most important, accomplished and influential creative artist alive today, bar none; That doesn't mean that I am under any illusions that he is some sort of Enlightened Being, and in many ways he seems to have more than his share of flaws and issues relating with others, which of course is not exactly unknown in those gifted with artistic talent.

Comment

• Very interesting speech. Seems Dylan has given up his old habit of "putting on" interviewers & is speaking from the heart

Comment

• Originally posted by Lit View Post
                              Confounding expectations. Yep. That's what he does.

One thing that always surprises me, but probably shouldn't, is how many really, really famous and accomplished people seem to remember every slight. Even the ones who seem above it like Dylan. I remember being stunned hearing Michael Jordan's HoF induction speech when he went out of his way to focus on and thank all the people who doubted or slighted him on his way up.

For anyone who has seen Birdman, I think a lot of people--greats and not-so-greats--hear that same type of voice in their heads. Dylan is seen by many as someone who gives "zero fucks" about what others think, and this speech shows that just the opposite is true: Dylan cares about that--a lot.
                              " Dylan is seen by many as someone who gives "zero fucks" about what others think"
                              How could anyone think that way after hearing "Positively 4th Street"?

Comment

• Originally posted by revjimk View Post
                                " Dylan is seen by many as someone who gives "zero fucks" about what others think"
                                How could anyone think that way after hearing "Positively 4th Street"?
                                I was referencing this:

"We played with McCartney at Bonnaroo, and the thing about McCartney is that he wants to be loved so much," Jeff Tweedy says. "He has so much energy, he gives and gives and gives, he plays three hours, and he plays every song you want to hear. Dylan has zero fucks to give about that. And it's truly inspiring. The joke on our tour was that his T-shirt should say PISSING PEOPLE OFF SINCE 1962. If you dropped people out of a vacuum from another planet and planted them in a field somewhere so that they could study us, and there's a guy half-decipherably singing jump-blues songs almost in the dark, and there's people watching him—well, it wouldn't make any sense… ."

Comment

Working...
                                X