How Did Bob Dylan Get So Weird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Canine Horror;n781091 I am now wavering ...[/QUOTE]
    "wavering" yes sir....that's what comes to mind when I think of you.

Comment

• The answer is wavering in the wind.

Comment

• Haven't watched Letterman for a long, long time (I used to be a big fan, but he seems to me to have become a bitter, unhappy old man, and an all-around deeply unpleasant person) but I think I will tune in tonight, as it's always interesting to see Dylan interviewed (speaking of bitter old men) if just to see how bizarre and contrary he will attempt to appear to his public.

Comment

• Just finished Daniel Lanois' book "Soul Mining" and he paints a pretty interesting picture of working with Dylan on Oh Mercy (in the New Orleans studio) and then Time Out of Mind, where they started in the Ventura theater and then moved at Dylan's insistence to the some-what soul-less Miami studio to finish the recordings. For a self-doubting, distrustful, damaged, nihilistic, world-weary guy - it's kind of surprising that he didn't fall into the usual pitfalls (heroin), and instead became a different kind of intense, manic, workaholic type... with unexplained outages. So, of course, I'm gonna watch - Soy Bomb!

Comment

• Comment

• Very Lynch-ian performance - right down to the awkwardly boxer-esque pacing during the steel solo...

Comment

• pretty good article on Dylan's first Letterman performance here and how it came about > http://www.vulture.com/2015/05/stran...erman-gig.html

Pretty sure one of the Cali TH's has posted it before but worth reading if you missed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by 20-20 View Post
                  "wavering" yes sir....that's what comes to mind when I think of you.
                  I think that you think of me more than is entirely healthy...but what the heck, we all have our foibles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lit View Post
                    I rather like that. Is he doing this sort of thing at his recent live shows? That would be something worth seeing i.m.o just for the novelty value of being able to clearly hear and identify the songs. As opposed to having all the subtlety drowned out by the band and arrangements as has been my experience of Dylan for the last too many years.

Comment

• Originally posted by duende View Post
                      Just finished Daniel Lanois' book "Soul Mining" and he paints a pretty interesting picture of working with Dylan on Oh Mercy (in the New Orleans studio) and then Time Out of Mind, where they started in the Ventura theater and then moved at Dylan's insistence to the some-what soul-less Miami studio to finish the recordings. For a self-doubting, distrustful, damaged, nihilistic, world-weary guy - it's kind of surprising that he didn't fall into the usual pitfalls (heroin), and instead became a different kind of intense, manic, workaholic type... with unexplained outages. So, of course, I'm gonna watch - Soy Bomb!

Lanois wrote a book! Must have sold dozens of copies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

I rather like that. Is he doing this sort of thing at his recent live shows? That would be something worth seeing i.m.o just for the novelty value of being able to clearly hear and identify the songs. As opposed to having all the subtlety drowned out by the band and arrangements as has been my experience of Dylan for the last too many years.
                        My brother saw him last weekend in Kansas City. He said he did a couple from the new cd and that it was a very good show.

Comment

• Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

Lanois wrote a book! Must have sold dozens of copies.
                          Quite right! I wasn't previously aware of the phenomenon of declining UK interest in celebrity memoirs and biographies, but cookbooks? That hardly needed explanation. :-)

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...ebrity-memoirs

Comment

• http://www.jambase.com/article/bob-d...-shares-single

Dylan announces triple album, and released first single.

Comment

• Originally posted by McGregor View Post
                              This is pretty cool. I'd love to know the stories.

http://firstwefeast.com/eat/norm-mac...ver-for-lunch/
                              Norm Macdonald Tweets The Story of When Bob Dylan Invited Him Over for Lunch

Norm Macdonald is a Dylan fan. The comedian took to Twitter last night and announced, “Next to Billy Joe Shaver, I consider Bob Dylan to be the greatest songwriter ever. I spent two days with him, once, and here’s the story how.”
                              I must have missed this when Bart initially posted it.
                              ------------------------------------------------
                              I have long thought that Norm MacDonald is one of the most intelligent, insightful and genuinely hilarious performers in Showbiz, and while I am generally a fan of just about anything he does, in the dozens of different interviews I have watched him in over the years, he always gives me the impression that he in "ON" and doing a never-ending "Norm MacDonald" impression, and it is impossible for me to get a sense of what he would be like when he is talking to his mechanic about getting his car's rotors replaced or out at the mall shopping for a new laptop.

That is EXACTLY the same vibe I get from Bob Dylan, an incredibly talented creative genius, but also a man perpetually on stage, never letting his guard down or taking off a mask that perhaps outsiders have chosen for him to wear.

I would have given anything to be a fly on the wall when Norm and Bob hung out together.

(If anyone reading this is not familiar with Norm MacDonald, I highly recommend going on YouTube and checking out some of his stuff. He has a truly bizarre, but brilliant sense of humor)
                              Last edited by MormonMatthew; 02-01-2017, 05:35 AM.

Comment

• R.I.P. Norm MacDonald....

Comment

Working...
                                X