• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ray Davies Case Comes Back In A Typically Frustrating Way

Rock star's shooting case, another dropped by DA
    Posted by The Times-Picayune July 26, 2007 9:30PM

By Gwen Filosa
    Staff writer

Even a rock star has trouble finding justice in the New Orleans courts these days.

For the second time since they first brought the case three years ago, Orleans Parish prosecutors Thursday dismissed all charges against a man accused of robbing and shooting rock 'n' roll legend Ray Davies in the Faubourg Marigny.

Instead of facing trial for the 2004 armed robbery and aggravated battery, Jerome Barra, 28, was freed and the case was closed at Orleans Parish Criminal District Court.

District Attorney Eddie Jordan's office said charges were dropped because Davies, of London, who emerged during the 1960s British Invasion as the frontman for The Kinks, didn't appear Thursday for trial.

Prosecutors sent word of the trial to Davies only a few days ago, asking him to come testify, according to the rock musician. Davies' absence at a scheduled trial in 2005 prompted Jordan's office to drop the case then, reserving the right to take a second swipe at Barra.

Davies, however, said he couldn't possibly have made it to New Orleans with what he called such scant notice. He expressed dismay with the merry-go-round pattern of the criminal case since he took a bullet in the leg three years ago during a visit to the city.

"I am very disappointed with the way this case has been handled," Davies said Thursday. "I intend to pursue it further."

Jordan's spokesman Dalton Savwoir would only say Thursday that Davies being a no-show tanked the trial and the case, but court records show that prosecutors, the defense and Judge Calvin Johnson committed to the trial date on May 17...

much more http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/...ase_anoth.html

AtP: I saw this last night and have mixed feelings. Yes, this is another example of the ineptitude of our criminal justice system, but.....Mr. Davies was told, according to the article, about the trial on May 17. Wasn't that enough time to prepare to show up?

Comment

Originally posted by rosetree View Post
      AtP: I saw this last night and have mixed feelings. Yes, this is another example of the ineptitude of our criminal justice system, but.....Mr. Davies was told, according to the article, about the trial on May 17. Wasn't that enough time to prepare to show up?
      I didn't see the tv news, but the T-P article says "Prosecutors sent word of the trial to Davies only a few days ago, asking him..." though it shows they set the court date on May 16 or 17. What I infer is that when they set the trial date, they carefully marked that in their calendars or Blackberries, but the prosecutor proceeded to do nothing ... until a few days before trial date. Then he or she called up Mr. Davies and said, Come on down! Procrastination is not a good trial tactic!!

Comment

From T/P:
        Jordan's spokesman Dalton Savwoir would only say Thursday that Davies being a no-show tanked the trial and the case, but court records show that prosecutors, the defense and Judge Calvin Johnson committed to the trial date on May 17

So the prosecuters, defense, AND the judge knew about it, but Mr. Davies didn't?????

Comment

From T/P:
          Jordan's spokesman Dalton Savwoir would only say Thursday that Davies being a no-show tanked the trial and the case, but court records show that prosecutors, the defense and Judge Calvin Johnson committed to the trial date on May 17

So the prosecuters, defense, AND the judge knew about it, but Mr. Davies didn't?????
          Yes. The attorneys probably had a status conference -- just attorneys and the judge -- on May 17 and picked a date for the trial when they would all be downtown and not in some other court or playing golf or going to Alabama Resorts for "continuing education" or attending fundraisers. Then, each side's attorney had the job of booking and finishing the preparation of the witnesses, lining up the evidence, planning a strategy, etc. There might have been some plea talk which might have led the prosecutor to think he wouldn't really need any witnesses ... like the victim. And so, and here I'm finally speculating, all the rest being totally accurate, the prosecutor didn't think to call Ray Davies until just a few days before trial. That must have been some phone call.

Comment

Yes I read this one in depth this am. Seems once again, though, they could have the wrong guy... they nailed the driver of the car, not the actual gunman. Of course that's just his word... So 2 criminals actually go free on this one.

Yes all this while my son who was taken IN Wednesday Night after a rountine traffic stop showed an outstanding warrant for a charge in 2004. He went to court and charges were dropped in 2005. Now out of the blue it shows up (someone's clerical error). His lawyer is on it and he may be out tonight, but meanwhile he misses 3 days of work, and probably our vacation next week. He tells me the criminals who come in each night for actual charges/crimes, have seen judges the next morning where bond gets set and they are released. Meanwhile he still hasn't seen a judge. This feeling of having absolutely no control is so upsetting, what do you do?? Phone calls get ya nowhere. Yes, I can write letters. No one will ever be held accountable. It sucks!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtPontchartrain View Post
              Yes. The attorneys probably had a status conference -- just attorneys and the judge -- on May 17 and picked a date for the trial when they would all be downtown and not in some other court or playing golf or going to Alabama Resorts for "continuing education" or attending fundraisers. Then, each side's attorney had the job of booking and finishing the preparation of the witnesses, lining up the evidence, planning a strategy, etc. There might have been some plea talk which might have led the prosecutor to think he wouldn't really need any witnesses ... like the victim. And so, and here I'm finally speculating, all the rest being totally accurate, the prosecutor didn't think to call Ray Davies until just a few days before trial. That must have been some phone call.
              I guess someone needs a new lawyer!

Comment

,i dont see anywhere in the article that Davies was informed in May...
                this is all i could find about notificiation.....if theres something in the article
                about Davies being informed back in May i must have missed it....

"Prosecutors sent word of the trial to Davies only a few days ago, asking him to come testify, according to the rock musician. Davies' absence at a scheduled trial in 2005 prompted Jordan's office to drop the case then, reserving the right to take a second swipe at Barra.

Davies, however, said he couldn't possibly have made it to New Orleans with what he called such scant notice. He expressed dismay with the merry-go-round pattern of the criminal case since he took a bullet in the leg three years ago during a visit to the city.

"I am very disappointed with the way this case has been handled," Davies said Thursday. "I intend to pursue it further."

Jordan's spokesman Dalton Savwoir would only say Thursday that Davies being a no-show tanked the trial and the case, but court records show that prosecutors, the defense and Judge Calvin Johnson committed to the trial date on May 17."

and this was all i could find about the delays in the case...

A high rate of turnover of prosecutors is a factor in the case's stalling, the court record shows. More than a half dozen assistant district attorneys have had the Davies shooting case on their plate before leaving the office.

Court delays are another factor. Assistant District Attorney Jackie Maloney wrote in a motion filed in March that between April 7, 2004, and April 20, 2005, hearings over the case were postponed 13 times -- seven times by

Comment

That was my take on it Rosetree! Very strange and really outrageous. Some letters to the editor are in order.

Comment

I'm just wondering; Is Jordan a re-elected D.A.?

Comment

Originally posted by Papins View Post
                      I'm just wondering; Is Jordan a re-elected D.A.?
                      Not re-elected. Elected in 2002 to succeed Harry Connick Sr.

I reside in St. Tammany so have no vote in N.O

Comment

Jolie:
                        There are many more eligable voters for American Idol than president!

Comment

Originally posted by jolie View Post
                          Not re-elected. Elected in 2002 to succeed Harry Connick Sr.

I reside in St. Tammany so have no vote in N.O
                          The much adored HC, Sr, I might add. Harry Sr. was first elected in 1973, winning over Jim Garrison and was re-elected ever since until 2002. He also had a modest singing career. I miss him :*(

Comment

I guess someone needs a new lawyer!
                            Unfortunately, RT, Davies' "lawyer" on this is the prosecutor of the case. They should have let Davies or his people know within a couple of days of the trial date being set. Unfortunately they did not do so until Thursday. Once again, the ineptness of the DA's office comes shining through. If Jordan is re-elected that will be the most screwed up result since they re-elected hmmmm lets see....oh yeah, Nagin!

Comment

Originally posted by mightyradgumbo View Post
                              Unfortunately, RT, Davies' "lawyer" on this is the prosecutor of the case. They should have let Davies or his people know within a couple of days of the trial date being set. Unfortunately they did not do so until Thursday. Once again, the ineptness of the DA's office comes shining through. If Jordan is re-elected that will be the most screwed up result since they re-elected hmmmm lets see....oh yeah, Nagin!
                              This case is so freakin' screwed up...it is just another beacon shining on the ineptitude of the criminal justice system in NO! Hopefully the electorate will have had enough of this bullshit when the next election comes along ...I know I had my fill at the last one.

Comment

Working...
                              X