Little Feat? What is their place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Feat? What is their place?

I just finished reading "Willin" the story of Little Feat by Ben Fong Torres and a great read it is. but I keep wondering just how important they were in the grand scheme of things.

How many of you know that one their last album, Rooster Rag Robert Hunter wrote some of the songs? http://www.littlefeat.net/discography.html?dd_id=41

The book leaves off when Paul Barrerre gets cancer and does not continue the story. I will always feel privileged to have seen a Paul and Fred Solo acoustic show a couple of years ago in Auburn (thanks Scott!!!) and I got to talk with them a bit.

The Billy Payne story continues anyways. Now he is the full time keyboard guy in Leftover Salmon, the band that is, IMO, the most like Feat in style and such. Now if they could get Billly to play something other than the four songs he plays all the time, that would be cool.

I don't care what their 'place' in music may be. I just know their work puts the boogie in my soul!
    Saw Paul & Fred this spring, and Paul is feeling much better.
    The full Feat band will be at Lockn'!

Comment

Always a great band from their almost Beefheart/country start to wherever they are now. The Lowell years were the golden ones, but I really liked the Craig Fuller comeback days, too. I felt the band got a little weaker after Fuller split, but I still went and heard and enjoyed them every time they rolled into my neck of the woods.
      Last edited by Kemp; 07-31-2015, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Were a great band, a really great band.

That "act" that came to Jazz Fest a few years ago was terrible, like Gretna Fest terrible.

Comment

One of my all time favorites, a band I have been fortunate enough to have heard play live many, many times over the years. Like any showband, some nights are more to my tastes than others, but they are almost always on top of their game. Sadly, since Richie Hayward passed away, the dynamic has never been quite the same, but I still want to support them every chance I get. (incidentally, the all-star benefit show they held for Richie at Howlin' Wolf during Jazzfest 2011 was in "Top-ten favorite Fest night show" territory for me, a truly epic night, and by far the most enjoyable experience I have ever had at the "new" Howlin' Wolf, not overcrowded or claustrophobic, easy to navigate and no lines for a beer. It can be a good venue, at least when the crowd is manageable)

Long story, but I got to know most of the guys (Sam Clayton in particular) a little bit over the years thanks to a mutual friend of mine & theirs who went way back with the band. Very unassuming, laid back people who really appreciate their fans...
          Last edited by MormonMatthew; 07-31-2015, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Wow. I had forgotten about Richie Hayward passing, and I haven't heard them since. That really would change the dynamics. Still, there is a ton of talent left in all the remaining members, and I would still go see them.

Comment

Such a great band that remains criminally underrated. Why they are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is beyond me. Lowell is one of the slide masters and a great songwriter. They provided a template for a lot that followed, particularly in the jam band scene. The Radiators, for one, owe them a lot as does Bonnie Raitt and her band. Bands like the Rolling Stones took note in their mid-70's heyday and "Waiting For Columbus" is one of the great live albums.

I enjoyed them with Craig Fuller, didn't like Shawn Murphy with them much, but the loss of Richie Hayward is critical. Unlike some who can't accept it, I didn't have a problem with the band carrying on without Lowell. He's gone...what can ya do. But Richie is not replacable and I don't really like the choice they made. The new drummer has none of the poly rhythmic syncopation that, to me, is what they sound like. I guess only someone like Jim Keltner would fit the bill as Richie was a powerhouse.

Comment

Great band.
                Benny: "Leftover Salmon, the band that is, IMO, the most like Feat in style and such" .... whaaaa????
                Chop: "The Radiators, for one, owe them a lot "....that's more like it....
                "Their place"? Who knows, but certainly in the Hall Of Fame, considering some of the clowns that made it

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
                  One of my all time favorites, a band I have been fortunate enough to have heard play live many, many times over the years. Like any showband, some nights are more to my tastes than others, but they are almost always on top of their game. Sadly, since Richie Hayward passed away, the dynamic has never been quite the same, but I still want to support them every chance I get. (incidentally, the all-star benefit show they held for Richie at Howlin' Wolf during Jazzfest 2011 was in "Top-ten favorite Fest night show" territory for me, a truly epic night, and by far the most enjoyable experience I have ever had at the "new" Howlin' Wolf, not overcrowded or claustrophobic, easy to navigate and no lines for a beer. It can be a good venue, at least when the crowd is manageable)

Long story, but I got to know most of the guys (Sam Clayton in particular) a little bit over the years thanks to a mutual friend of mine & theirs who went way back with the band. Very unassuming, laid back people who really appreciate their fans...
                  That was an exceptional night at the HW, Matthew! YYR it can be a great venue when not oversold to sardine-like proportions.

Comment

There's a lot of Lowell in Bonnie's playing. And YYR, Waiting For Columbus is one of the best live LPs ever. They are very influential in the modern jam band movement, but don't overlook their songwriting. The Feat catalog holds some great tunes from more than one of the members.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

I enjoyed them with Craig Fuller, didn't like Shawn Murphy with them much, but the loss of Richie Hayward is critical. Unlike some who can't accept it, I didn't have a problem with the band carrying on without Lowell. He's gone...what can ya do. But Richie is not replacable and I don't really like the choice they made. The new drummer has none of the poly rhythmic syncopation that, to me, is what they sound like. I guess only someone like Jim Keltner would fit the bill as Richie was a powerhouse.
                      Agreed. Of course Pure Prairie League was huge here in their home region, so Craig w/Feat was huge as well. I'm sorry he is back doing occasional PPL shows, as it has become primarily a country act with a totally different feel. Shawn didn't do anything for me either. AndYYR Richie can never be replaced. Here's hoping the find the closest fit as possible. Anxious to see their return at Lockn'!

Comment

Originally posted by ohio View Post
                        The full Feat band will be at Lockn'!
                        Geez You Have A Big Mouth.......or Fat Finger............which ever

Comment

Originally posted by 20-20 View Post

Geez You Have A Big Mouth.......or Fat Finger............which ever
                          Better not mention that fest in Nola every spring- don't want to let the word get out.
                          Make sure to introduce yourself at Lockn'- I may get you that black eye you've been wanting!

Comment

Originally posted by ohio View Post
                            Make sure to introduce yourself at Lockn'- I may get you that black eye you've been wanting!
                            Lockn'? Not for me. I had given some thought to attending but I read your review here on the "bored" of your experiences last year. Sounded pretty depressing. Can't fathom why anyone in their right mind would even entertain the notion of going. I feel that I am probably more of a "Coachella" type.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                              There's a lot of Lowell in Bonnie's playing. And YYR, Waiting For Columbus is one of the best live LPs ever. They are very influential in the modern jam band movement, but don't overlook their songwriting. The Feat catalog holds some great tunes from more than one of the members.
                              I think they were both influenced by the same blues guys. Bonnie was playing slide in the 60s, well before Lil Feat got popular (not sure when Lowell or LF started) & I'm pretty sure she took lessons from Mississippi Fred McDowell

Comment

Working...
                              X