Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restaurant recommendations (2016+ edition)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iím not always a brunch person but I enjoyed brunch yesterday at Carrollton Market. Our group had two oyster omelets, one vegetarian omelet and one corned beef hash dish. I didnít have a cocktail but those who did enjoyed theirs. The coffee was strong, the service was good and complementary limoncellos along with dill-, fennel- and orange- cellos were offered to us at the end of our meal.
    If youíd like to try it there will be a gift card in the raffle. Bid on it!

Comment

• Originally posted by BamaGumbo View Post
      Anyone been to Johnny Sanchez lately?

I am a tag along this weekend for a group of 15 year old girls, and moms going see Panic at the Disco. We are eating at Johnny Sanchez this Saturday before they go to the concert. Pics on line look good, and was hoping someone could recommend something good..
      I haven't been lately but they do have a happy hour from 3-6 with $2 tacos. I also love the queso fundido with chorizo.

Comment

• Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post

I haven't been lately but they do have a happy hour from 3-6 with $2 tacos. I also love the queso fundido with chorizo.
        sounds perfect as we will be there for Happy Hour.. thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by BamaGumbo View Post

sounds perfect as we will be there for Happy Hour.. thank you!
          When we were there for HH, we also had the emapanadas and the albondigas (delicious meatballs).
          Both were really good!

Comment

• Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
            We had dinner at Brennanís last night. The food was very good- I had squash and kale salad followed by fish amandine. He had a bowl of turtle soup followe by pheasant. We cleaned our plates. While the food was great we had some problems with the service that would make me reconsider returning.
            Tonight we dined at Saffron and would highly recommend it. The service and food were both on another level. We had the bread accompaniments which were all pretty straightforward Indian dishes- dal, saag paneer etc. I had the gulf fish as my entree and it was so so so good. The fish was served with a vivid green sauce, a yogurt rice, crispy potato and mango pickle. He had the lamb chops. We shared the pot de creme for dessert. The experience was great and I would definitely return.
            It's so difficult to fairly evaluate service.

I realize that New Orleans likely offers the highest caliber of restaurant service in the country, but mistakes happen. Human beings screw up, and stress plays a role. That last one is important to remember during a peak tourist event like Jazz Fest.

I had great service at Brennan's, but my service at Saffron was somewhat poor. The topper was when I was served a drink with a bug inside of it. I didn't freak out or cause a huge fuss. Since our waiter was basically ignoring us, I just calmly walked the drink over to the hostess. She apologized and said a replacement would be on the way. Twenty minutes later, I had to go back to the hostess to ask if that drink would ever be arriving. When all was said and done, I don't think they even took that drink off the bill. It was just handled so poorly...but I still enjoyed the meal, and we tipped well.

I'd still go back and wouldn't hold this incident against the restaurant, but I suspect I'm in the minority on that front.

Comment

• Youíre right about it being somewhat subjective. At Saffron our server helped me navigate my dietary restrictions with patience. The owner brought out our entrees and returned mine to the kitchen as something was wrong with the plating. I didnít notice but he did. When he returned with the new plate he was very sincere and just attentive enough.
              Brennanís was weird- the bartender, front staff at the hosting station and others were great. Our server seemed too new for a Friday night shift at a busy restaurant with a solid reputation. Once our entrees were cleared she basically abandoned us and we abandoned our plan for cordials. She dropped us the wrong check, and we were unable to get her attention to fix it. It wasnít until a manager noticed that I was able to request the context check and ridiculously, a refill of water while we waited. Kris reminded me that a smoke alarm went off toward the end of our meal- so maybe that threw things off.

Comment

• Btw we canceled the reservation at the newly opened Justine as we were having a fun time noshing and drinking with some friends.
                I got to visit a few craft beer establishments, here are my thoughts regarding those:
                Wrong Iron Beer Garden- this is a newly opened spot on the Lafitte Greenway (the greenway rules btw), they carry upwards of 50 beers on tap, some frozen drinks, a variety of wine and cocktails also. Itís a large space with plenty of room for groups. There are a ton of big TVs and a beautiful bocce green. Food is by food truck and it looks like they have a semi-permanent one stationed for the first few weeks. I really liked this space and reminded me of places Iíd hang out at down the shore.
                Our group pedaled down to Parlaux (which I canít spell correctly) Beer Lab just before Poland Avenue in the Bywater. We all enjoyed the tasty brews- I liked their oyster stout in particular. Food truck at this one as well
                The following day I visited Miel Brewing and have to say- their beer was probably the best of the locals that I sampled. Really solid examples of each style without any ambitious flourishes that fell short.
                I like Breiux Carre now that they are a bit more established and offering some session beers- not just big beers.

Comment

Working...
                X