Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restaurant recommendations (2016+ edition)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swag View Post

It's Cafe Beignet that's moving into that space. Cafe du Monde is moving into the Morning Call spot in the park, and should be open by Fest. Morning Call is scouting new locations, but no desisions announced yet.

Oh, and Parkway is closed on Tuesdays, so not a patry-day option.
    Too bad to hear about the coffee pot. First place I had calas. Always found it to a nice place for breakfast if I was in the quarter.

Comment

• Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
      If the normal kitchen at Deutsches Haus isn't operating on Patry day, and with Parkway being closed on Tuesday, I'm probably going to need to order some sort of food delivery at some point or bring my own cooler of snacks. A girl can't live on one of those half-corncobs from a crawfish boil alone.
      Fich lets talk. Was considering a dooky run bc I dont know when else I'm getting there but happy to think with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by smallyak49 View Post

Thank you! I just added all of those that I never heard of, to my running list. I actually had contacted Zasu about reservations back in January, after you first recommended it in this thread. Robin wrote back to me that I would hear back in March, when JF reservations were open for bigger groups (as we will be 6 or 7). She has not written back to me, but my reservation was made and confirmed via email today for 7:45 pm Thurs the 25th!! Looking forward to trying it
        3 or 4 of the 6/7 of us for that meal, will be attending the first day at fest. For a 745 reservation, does it make sense to go straight from fest after being in the heat all day or do you think I should email Robin to see if we can get it pushed to 8 or 8:30 to give us time to go to our hotels after fest and before Zasu?

Again, thanks for all the suggestions!!!
        Just came from there. If you know New Orleans that time of year it can be a beautiful day or in the high 80s/low 90s and humid. Myself I'd rather go shower before going out to dinner although the place is not that fancy. I'll most likely be there that night so ask for James!

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post
          On normal days, the Deutches Haus serves pretzels, brats, and flamenkuchen (german pizza). I don't know if the kitchen will be serving on patry day, though.

Other than that, there's nothing as convenient to the patry as the across-the-street pizza & brats at the old location. You can head down Esplanade about 5 blocks to the cluster of spots near the fest that you're likely familiar with, or down Carrollton. On Carrollton, the closest spots, also about 5 blocks, are Blue Oak, Toups, and Pandora Snoballs. Another few blocks gets you to the shopping center where you'll find Felipe's plus some national chains like Wingstop & Five Guys.

For a quick-ish afternoon snack break, I'd suggest either Blue Oak or Liuzza's. For after, Toups is open until 10, as are Felipe's & Santa Fe; that's about it for your post-patry choices.
          There is also 1000 Figs which is awesome and right by Liuzza's By The Track. Not quite Shaya/Saba but very good and healthy Middle Eastern food.

https://www.1000figs.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Just came from there. If you know New Orleans that time of year it can be a beautiful day or in the high 80s/low 90s and humid. Myself I'd rather go shower before going out to dinner although the place is not that fancy. I'll most likely be there that night so ask for James!
            Yes, a day at the fairgrounds could mean gross and needing a shower before entering public civilization again. We already are braving a meal straight from fest the next weekend, for Toups...so Zasu may be doable too. I will email Robin and see how likely it is we can be pushed from 745 to 830... Good to know you will be there, I will definitely ask for you! Thanks again

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruby K View Post

Fich lets talk. Was considering a dooky run bc I dont know when else I'm getting there but happy to think with you.
              We'll work something out. Kind of hoping the bar is selling food. It would be brats, pretzels and flammenkuchen but that would work for me. And yes, Fiche, I've tried Frey once and would like to give them another try. Also haven't ever had Dooky. And 1000 figs would work too! And Liuzza's.

Comment

• Is there a secret to getting home a little faster when you're headed from the fairgrounds to chilly Gentilly? We usually go Esplanade to Wisner/Carrolton and then down desaix to gentilly. Or straight down gentilly. But it's slow going either way.

Comment

• Ruby and Vicki lets coordinate at Patry time. I'm going to need some eats that day!

Comment

• Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
                    Is there a secret to getting home a little faster when you're headed from the fairgrounds to chilly Gentilly? We usually go Esplanade to Wisner/Carrolton and then down desaix to gentilly. Or straight down gentilly. But it's slow going either way.
                    It would depend heavily on where exactly you park. If traffic on Desaix is usually slow, you could try staying on Wisner and then go right on Mirabeau, then right to head down Elysian Fields. That adds a mile or two, but should avoid the traffic.

But as far as a "secret"? Park further away, or leave earlier.
                    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Opinions on the following restaurants:
                      1. Domenica
                      2. Luke
                      3. Trenasse
                      4. Josephine Estelle

Comment

• 2. Two thumbs up on food, but sort of a business person vibe
                        4. Excellent vibe, good not great food
                        3. Go somewhere else, joe average hotel restaurant
                        1. On my list to go some year

Comment

• We are planning a food outing on Special Thursday and I'm working on finding a great but less expensive spot for EdEd, Corona's hubs, to get his chargrilled oyster fix on. He wants something other than Drago's this year. I'm looking at happy hours to cut costs because the Canadian rate of exchange is really horrible right now. Hoping some of you have input on what I have so far.
                          1-Mr. Ed's Oysters- 50cents raw/ $18 chargrilled (regular price)
                          2-Luke- .75 raw and 1.25 fried
                          3-New Orleans Creole Cookery- .75 raw and 1.25 chargrilled
                          4-Blue Crab- $1 chargrilled
                          5-Heads and Tails in Harahan- $1 chargrilled and .75 raw

Comment

• Ate at Saffron again this weekend. And yeah, it's every bit of fusion-y as I remember it. Pork vindaloo was okay. And the baked oysters I had were like any I could get at dozens of restaurants around town. They were good but nothing that said this is Indian food. Ate with my My better half, whose family is from Mysore, said it best. "Is this Indian food? I feel like this is trying to be Indian food, but not really. Let's go to Nirvana next time. At least we'll get Indian food. It'll be mediocre, but it will be Indian."

The saag paneer and chole were good. The daal was okay. The pakoda was bland. The cocktails were great. For the price, we won't be back.

Comment

• Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
                              We are planning a food outing on Special Thursday and I'm working on finding a great but less expensive spot for EdEd, Corona's hubs, to get his chargrilled oyster fix on. He wants something other than Drago's this year. I'm looking at happy hours to cut costs because the Canadian rate of exchange is really horrible right now. Hoping some of you have input on what I have so far.
                              1-Mr. Ed's Oysters- 50cents raw/ $18 chargrilled (regular price)
                              2-Luke- .75 raw and 1.25 fried
                              3-New Orleans Creole Cookery- .75 raw and 1.25 chargrilled
                              4-Blue Crab- $1 chargrilled
                              5-Heads and Tails in Harahan- $1 chargrilled and .75 raw
                              You have good timing because I was just about to ask if anyone has been to Legacy Kitchen in Metarie.

I saw this Instagram post, which advertises $1 charbroiled oysters on Thursdays.

It looks like it may be part of the regular Monday - Thursday happy hour, as well.

This brings me to my second question: is there a significant difference in flavor between chargrilled and charbroiled? I'm assuming chargrilled means the flame is below and charbroiled means the flame is above, but I suspect that many restaurants are charbroiling and still calling it chargrilling.

Comment

• Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post
                                This brings me to my second question: is there a significant difference in flavor between chargrilled and charbroiled? I'm assuming chargrilled means the flame is below and charbroiled means the flame is above, but I suspect that many restaurants are charbroiling and still calling it chargrilling.
                                I believe I asked about this some years ago because I was confused about Drago's calling them charbroiled when they are clearly grilled. I don't recall the answer, but I think I have only had them chargrilled, irrespective of what they are called. When I make them at home I grill them.

Comment

Working...
                                X