Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restaurant recommendations (2016+ edition)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post
    If the guy sitting next to me is wearing a MAGA hat, it won't change the flavor of my food.
    Same. Unless he smelled. Sorry, 20/20.

Personally, I like Drago's in Metairie better than the one in the Hilton. But I never thought their oysters are that great. I think they're okay. It's Yat food. Everyone, relax. That's just me.

Felix's is just as mediocre as Acme. You just get to eat their mediocre food a little faster. There's a reason it went belly up a few years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quint View Post
      Gulf oysters lose their salinity the warmer the water gets. There's reason we put oysters in our stuffing at T-giving and have crawfish at Easter. Those are peak times for each. Now oysters can be good in the summer, no doubt, just less salty than fall and winter. And when they're covered in cheese, garlic, and butter? They always taste great. When they're spawning is the only time I say no. But that's also because I prefer raw oysters.

If you want oysters in the Quarter, Bourbon House would be where I'd go. I've had them raw there, but I'd guess that they do chargrilled. And I'd be willing to bet they're damn good. Also not in the quarter, but Seaworthy has great oysters. But you're gonna pay.
      Will definitely try bourbon house. Good Oysters and Bourbon sounds good. Had seaworthy, they were amazing and very very pricey as you said

Comment

• Originally posted by Quint View Post

Same. Unless he smelled. Sorry, 20/20.
        OH SNAP

Comment

• Originally posted by Lit View Post
          Never had a bad meal or experience at Jacques-Imo's, but haven't been there in at least 10+ years. Not haute cuisine by any means, but good comfort food and fun back in the day when we first started attending Fest in the mid-90s. Great fried chicken for a while, too.
          Sadly, that fried chicken stopped being great once Austin Leslie left and later died. I think the last truly good meal I had at Jacques-Imo's was in 2007.

Originally posted by Lit View Post
          Started going to Dick & Jenny's instead for a few years and really enjoyed that, but the the original owners sold it and it dropped off after that imo. We haven't been there in years, either, at this point (Groovy, I think you were there that last time, too--what was that, like five or six years ago?).
          Yeah, I think that sounds about right. That was the last time I was in Dick & Jenny's, as well. I think there was one year since then when I tried to go but they had been closed for months. That may have been outside of Jazz Fest.
          Last edited by groovy1967; 04-17-2019, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by smallyak49 View Post

Will definitely try bourbon house. Good Oysters and Bourbon sounds good. Had seaworthy, they were amazing and very very pricey as you said
            Get the frozen brandy milk punch there. Might want it for dessert as it's just like a milkshake!

Comment

• I do want to try the chargrills at Neyow's in Mid-City. If I make it this coming Tuesday I'll post a report...May just get a quick po-boy at Banks Meat and head down to the Quarter...

Comment

• BTW, I'm not the girl who asks what my food is co0ked in. I live by: what I don't know won't hurt me. So far it's working out just fine.

Comment

• I have a reservation at Costera that will almost certainly be canceled but who knows....any one been? It's real real new but small plates are way good for my weirdo diet and its in walking distance from my JF home.

Comment

• Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                    I have a reservation at Costera that will almost certainly be canceled but who knows....any one been? It's real real new but small plates are way good for my weirdo diet and its in walking distance from my JF home.
                    I have not, but it is on my long running list. If you make it, please report back

Comment

• Anyone eaten at any of these places:

Legacy Kitchen
                      Lucy's Retired Surfers' Bar
                      Briquette
                      NOSH
                      St. James Cheese Company

I know Lucy's has some fans here, but no one ever talks about the food.

My parents are staying at the Renaissance Arts Warehouse District, and I'm looking for a place to send my them for a late lunch/early dinner while most people are at Fest on Friday. Normally, I would tell them to go to Cochon Butcher, but I think they're going to do that on the following night.

I want to give them a couple of options, including some non-Creole or Cajun choices, so I'm interested to know if any of these are worthwhile. Thanks!

Comment

• I had tacos or something at Lucy's a few years ago. They were perfectly fine, nothing amazing but good eating. Nice bunch of people at the bar as well.

Comment

• I eat lunch at Lucy's regularly, and it's that kind of food, reasonably priced, a mild connection to Mexico and Gulf seafood, but it isn't somewhere i would send people on a culinary tour of new orleans. it also draws a pretty heavy bar crowd, so there might be quite a few drinkers carrying on during happy hour on Friday, fest or no. I have heard St James cheese is very good, but I assume their menu is limited by their cheesiness.

Comment

• We'll go to Lucy's following Wednesday in the Square. Its adequate - dependable food but not stellar. I've heard good things about St James Cheese Co, although I haven't been personally.

Comment

• I've been to the St. James Cheese Co Uptown Location- I've picked up take out on my way to the airport a few times and its great for a reliable sandwich/soup/salad sort of thing. They also have typical cheese shop foods like nice cheese plates and the similar. If your parents are into that sort of thing they will enjoy it, though I'd expect it might be a busy spot for workers in that area.
                              What about Carmo? I used to think of Carmo as a health food place but they were recently featured in that back restaurant write up in the newspaper and their variety and quality were both highlighted.

Comment

• We went to NOSH once and enjoyed it. They have a nice happy hour, 50 cent raw oysters and $5 small plates. The menu is pretty much all small plates and flatbreads, no entrees.

It was a weird vibe, a large mostly empty room with some tables around the perimeter. I got the feeling their core crowd is a younger set that mostly stands and drinks, and I'm not sure I'd want to eat there if it were crowded, but it wasn't busy during our happy hour and we enjoyed the quiet. If you do send the 'rents there, offer them a plan B in case they stick there head in and decide it's not for them.

They don't open until 4 pm, so any lunch would have to be very late.
                                Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X