Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restaurant recommendations (2016+ edition)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
    It's that time of year that I shamelessly push where I work, Zasu in Mid City at 127 N Carrollton Ave, across the street from Venesia and Wallgreens, right off Canal St. and right on the ferry line.

Hard to describe what type of cuisine but Sue Zemanick is one of the best chefs I've worked with/for in my 45+ years in the business. Eclectic New American?

A few people from here have dined with us including Swag. A great little restaurant to hit after you are tired of all the heavy duty local food.

You may even see Anders, the guys from Galactic or even Quint himself there. Ask for James if you do come by. You would definitely need a reservation during Jazz Fest.

https://zasunola.com/

https://www.google.com/search?client...su+in+Mid+City
    Ferry line?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blumie View Post
      Ferry line?
      Haha. Oops...I'll fix that. Thx.

Comment

• anyone got a connection at Commander's? It's impossible to get a reservation even weeks in advance.

Comment

• I need some help. On short notice, I find I am going to the Fest second weekend with some friends, Yay! But, usually I would plan farther in advance and make restaurant reservations. As the prior post noted, it is probably too late now to get reservations at most places. Where can we get in without reservations? Nothing fancy required, just good food. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comment

• For what it's worth, I just made reservations for 8 during 2nd weekend at both Peche and Pelican Club and found that Clancy's, Paladar 511 and Brigsten's don't take reservations this far in advance. So, I'd imagine you can still find something if you're flexible on when you're having dinner.

I'd also welcome any recommendations at any of the above mentioned restaurants!

Comment

• It's not too late. I just checked OpenTable for 2nd Saturday, 8:30 pm, party of 4, French Quarter and CBD, and lots of available choices came up. Also try resy, many local spots use that instead.

And yay, Chazmo's festing!
              Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by dee79 View Post
                For what it's worth, I just made reservations for 8 during 2nd weekend at both Peche and Pelican Club and found that Clancy's, Paladar 511 and Brigsten's don't take reservations this far in advance. So, I'd imagine you can still find something if you're flexible on when you're having dinner.

Dee79 - Love the food at Peche, but the service there has been a bit scatterbrained,. Have had great appetizers and cocktails at Pelican Club. Brigtsen's is one of the all time best restaurants anywhere. You can't go wrong there, but their duck is amazing.

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post
                  It's not too late. I just checked OpenTable for 2nd Saturday, 8:30 pm, party of 4, French Quarter and CBD, and lots of available choices came up. Also try resy, many local spots use that instead.

And yay, Chazmo's festing!
                  Thank you Swag. I guess I am showing my age. In my Festing heyday, 1994 to 2005, I would call the restaurants a couple of months in advance to find out how far out they started taking reservations, and then call as soon as that day and time arrived for each one. Of course, it's different now with the inter-web thingy. I will check OpenTable and Resy. but probably still call Brigtsens the old fashioned way when it is a month out.

Yes, I am Festing, and am kind of surprised but happy about it. A couple of my golf & beverage buddies talked me into it. I guess they heard enough of my raving about it and decided to use me as a guide for their first time. No problem. They didn't have to twist my arm very hard at all. Heidi will not be with me this time, but gave the OK. Unfortunately, we arrive in the evening the second Thursday and won''t be able to make the Patry or Threadhead Thursday in the Park. Maybe I will run into you at Liuzza's or in the Fairgrounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee79 View Post
                    For what it's worth, I just made reservations for 8 during 2nd weekend at both Peche and Pelican Club and found that Clancy's, Paladar 511 and Brigsten's don't take reservations this far in advance. So, I'd imagine you can still find something if you're flexible on when you're having dinner.

I love the seafood martini at Pelican Club- a martini glass full of seafood. They also had a leek and potato soup that was memorable. At Peche I loved the royal red shrimp but not sure they still have them.

Comment

• A few reactions to some of the recent posts in this thread:

1. In my experience, although not universally true, the better restaurants tend to be on Resy rather than opentable. When I'm searching for reservations, I typically start with Resy and then switch to opentable if I haven't found anything of interest. Obviously if you have time, search both before making a decision.

2. Brigtsen's and Clancy's are old school: they only take reservations over the phone. If you ask Frank Brigtsen why he doesn't switch to an online platform, he'll tell you it's because if he did that, he would then need to fire one of his staff members. And since his staff members who manage reservations are his wife (Marna) and her two sisters (Sandy and Rhonda), you can understand why he doesn't want to do that.

3. Speaking of Brigtsen's, I don't need any confirmation to confidently assert that Brigtsen's is my favorite of the classic New Orleans restaurants (and I'm including in my definition of "classic New Orleans restaurants" all of the big, splashy restaurants opened by New Orleans' celebrity chefs like John Besh (or his successor restaurant group), Donald Link, Emeril Lagasse, etc., even if many of them haven't been around since the beginning of time), but still I took some clients out last night to one of those big, splashy restaurants that's universally loved on this board and in most restaurant chat rooms (I won't name it; I've taken the position since the pandemic that I'll applaud restaurants I love but avoid saying bad things about others that are trying their best but which I just don't like as much), after having sent them to Brigtsen's on Saturday night (thank you, Sandy, for squeezing them in last minute and showing them the love), and while it was good, with good service and a lively atmosphere, it was nowhere close to Brigtsen's good. In particular, I had their seafood gumbo and their fried catfish appetizer -- both of which I've had many times at Brigtsen's, as recently as two weeks ago -- and they were fine, but just didn't compare. The gumbo had a really nice, deep and rich roux, but you could tell that the seafood was not prepared fresh-to-order and added at the last minute the way Brigtsen's does it and which, as you can imagine, makes a huge difference. The catfish was fresh and well prepared, but it was served with a watery and uninspired tartar sauce on the side. I love Brigtsen's cornmeal coating (their fried catfish happens to be gluten free, for those who care about such things) and the zippy tartar sauce with which it's served. Although both restaurants include this on their appetizer menu, I'm always tempted to make a meal out of two (or three) orders of it at Brigtsen's.

Sorry all, I just feel I need to share my love for Brigtsen's.

Comment

It's that time of year that I shamelessly push where I work, Zasu in Mid City at 127 N Carrollton Ave, across the street from Venesia and Wallgreens, right off Canal St. and right on the streetcar line. (thx Blumie!)

Hard to describe what type of cuisine but Sue Zemanick is one of the best chefs I've worked with/for in my 45+ years in the business. Eclectic New American?

A few people from here have dined with us including Swag. A great little restaurant to hit after you are tired of all the heavy duty local food.

You may even see Anders, the guys from Galactic or even Quint himself there. Ask for James if you do come by. You would definitely need a reservation during Jazz Fest.

https://zasunola.com/

https://www.google.com/search?client...su+in+Mid+City
                        I saw Zasu recommended on EATER a few weeks back and made a reservation for 4/29. The menu looks amazing, and it's less than a 10 min walk from our Airbnb. I can't believe jazz fest is only a few weeks away! So excited!

Comment

• Originally posted by abbieroad View Post

I saw Zasu recommended on EATER a few weeks back and made a reservation for 4/29. The menu looks amazing, and it's less than a 10 min walk from our Airbnb. I can't believe jazz fest is only a few weeks away! So excited!
                          Ask for James when you arrive. I'll definitely be there that night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blumie View Post
                            A few reactions to some of the recent posts in this thread:

1. In my experience, although not universally true, the better restaurants tend to be on Resy rather than opentable. When I'm searching for reservations, I typically start with Resy and then switch to opentable if I haven't found anything of interest. Obviously if you have time, search both before making a decision.

2. Brigtsen's and Clancy's are old school: they only take reservations over the phone. If you ask Frank Brigtsen why he doesn't switch to an online platform, he'll tell you it's because if he did that, he would then need to fire one of his staff members. And since his staff members who manage reservations are his wife (Marna) and her two sisters (Sandy and Rhonda), you can understand why he doesn't want to do that.

3. Speaking of Brigtsen's, I don't need any confirmation to confidently assert that Brigtsen's is my favorite of the classic New Orleans restaurants (and I'm including in my definition of "classic New Orleans restaurants" all of the big, splashy restaurants opened by New Orleans' celebrity chefs like John Besh (or his successor restaurant group), Donald Link, Emeril Lagasse, etc., even if many of them haven't been around since the beginning of time), but still I took some clients out last night to one of those big, splashy restaurants that's universally loved on this board and in most restaurant chat rooms (I won't name it; I've taken the position since the pandemic that I'll applaud restaurants I love but avoid saying bad things about others that are trying their best but which I just don't like as much), after having sent them to Brigtsen's on Saturday night (thank you, Sandy, for squeezing them in last minute and showing them the love), and while it was good, with good service and a lively atmosphere, it was nowhere close to Brigtsen's good. In particular, I had their seafood gumbo and their fried catfish appetizer -- both of which I've had many times at Brigtsen's, as recently as two weeks ago -- and they were fine, but just didn't compare. The gumbo had a really nice, deep and rich roux, but you could tell that the seafood was not prepared fresh-to-order and added at the last minute the way Brigtsen's does it and which, as you can imagine, makes a huge difference. The catfish was fresh and well prepared, but it was served with a watery and uninspired tartar sauce on the side. I love Brigtsen's cornmeal coating (their fried catfish happens to be gluten free, for those who care about such things) and the zippy tartar sauce with which it's served. Although both restaurants include this on their appetizer menu, I'm always tempted to make a meal out of two (or three) orders of it at Brigtsen's.

Sorry all, I just feel I need to share my love for Brigtsen's.
                            It does not get much better food wise in New Orleans than Brigtsen's. Frank is a local icon and treasure!

Comment

• Originally posted by chazmo View Post

Dee79 - Love the food at Peche, but the service there has been a bit scatterbrained,. Have had great appetizers and cocktails at Pelican Club. Brigtsen's is one of the all time best restaurants anywhere. You can't go wrong there, but their duck is amazing.
                              If you go to Peche just try to sit at the bar and dine at your own pace. Actually that is how I like to dine at most restaurants. There are not nearly enough good servers to go around in this city(Zasu where I work being the exception - Haha). I prefer to just eat at bars where I can see the person taking care of me and not have to flag down my server if I need something.

Comment

If you go to Peche just try to sit at the bar and dine at your own pace. Actually that is how I like to dine at most restaurants. There are not nearly enough good servers to go around in this city(Zasu where I work being the exception - Haha). I prefer to just eat at bars where I can see the person taking care of me and not have to flag down my server if I need something.
                                In regards to Peche, do you think dining at the bar would be a possible option Sunday May 8th after the fest? It will only be 2 of us and we stay in the CBD. It is about a 10 minute walk from Peche, however there are no available reservations beyond 6:00pm. At this point, we are wondering if there is any value of just "showing up" with hopes of getting in. It would be a great place to round out trip/Fest weekend.

I feel like finding a decent restaurant open past 9:00 is challenging. If you feel Peche may be a bust on Sunday, any other recommendations in the area? We've done Herb Saint, Cochon and Meril's. We obviously do not want to leave the fest early on Sunday and as always, the challenge is getting back to the area in a reasonable amount of time to stop in the room, freshen up, then head back out for a dinner. Pending on the place, we could go directly to dinner from the fest, however "fest attire" is not always preferred at some establishments.

You also mentioned Clancy's. That has been on our radar for a long time. We arrive in town Tuesday May 3rd, and we are going there for our anniversary dinner, looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X