Busted Down On Bourbon Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted Down On Bourbon Street

This post rightfully should have come from one of our West Coast musicologists...

Friday night was the anniversary of the infamous Grateful Dead Warehouse show in New Orleans, when the cops busted them at the hotel afterward -- Immortalized in "Truckin'".

A few things that I was unaware of:

1) It was the venue's first show (from Bill Johnston, RIP).

2) It was Tom Constanten's last show, and

3) The lineup included Fleetwood Mac, and the recently RevJim mentioned, The Flock.

$5. $4.50 advanced if you were on the ball....

Comment

You can find the shows on archive.org. The second night was an unscheduled show to help pay legal fees if I remember correctly. If I could see one show at the Warehouse, it would be the Talking Heads on the Remain in Light tour.

Comment

Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
        You can find the shows on archive.org. The second night was an unscheduled show to help pay legal fees if I remember correctly. If I could see one show at the Warehouse, it would be the Talking Heads on the Remain in Light tour.
        I am not a person who posts a lot of messages, here or elsewhere, so my etiquette sucks. I have found it difficult to stay on track when I do ("Look! Squirrel!") which is sort of against the rules with message boards. People who come to participate in a thread deserve to know what they are in for. If the topic is Chinese widgets then you try to talk about those...

However.... since you brought it up... How about that Rome Remain In Light video that surfaced a couple of years ago? Holy Shit. It is mind blowing, if even just for the bits where you see Adrian Belew coaxing crazy sounds out of his guitar. That was the band at its peak IMO.

Comment

Seen it many times. Amazing band chemistry and yes, the band at their best.

Comment

Interesting coincidence, as a few days ago, I was on YouTube and was binge listening to Talking Heads, and ended up watching their introduction to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, which I had never seen before.

Holy smoke, was that ever uncomfortable to view. The overt lack of warmth between the band, in particular David Byrne and Jerry Harrison (who barely acknowledge one another after standing a few feet apart while listening to Tina Weymouth give a rambling, disjointed 15 minute speech I thought might never end) was palpable, and actually quite sad.

What was even sadder however was how incredibly amateur they sounded when they "performed" a couple of songs together. I realize that they hadn't shared a stage for many years but it was just terrible, a sad way for such an amazingly talented band to finish their legacy.

(of course that does nothing to diminish the incredible music that Talking Heads created together over the years. Between them and The Police, they are probably the two most groundbreaking, influential bands of the 1980's)
            Last edited by MormonMatthew; 02-01-2016, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
              Interesting coincidence, as a few days ago, I was on YouTube and was binge listening to Talking Heads, and ended up watching their introduction to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, which I had never seen before.

Holy smoke, was that ever uncomfortable to view. The overt lack of warmth between the band, in particular David Byrne and Jerry Harrison (who barely acknowledge one another after standing a few feet apart while listening to Tina Weymouth give a rambling, disjointed 15 minute speech I thought might never end) was palpable, and actually quite sad.
              Anyone read Chris Frantz's newly released memoir "Remain In Love" yet?

Apparently it is extremely, nakedly critical of David Byrne as a person, graphically painting him as an arrogant, aloof, egotistical and petty man who has spent his life using others without giving them due credit for their contributions to collaborative efforts, both professionally in the music industry (specifically with writing credits on several Talking Heads songs) as well as in his life in general.

It sounds like there is some real animosity there, at least as far as Frantz (along with his wife Tina Weymouth, who was of course the bassist for Talking Heads) is concerned and David Byrne, but without defending Byrne's alleged behavior (or personality as a whole) I have to wonder if there is a more than a touch of underlying jealousy on the part of the others, considering the huge resurgence of success he is currently enjoying.

Frantz and the other 2 Ex-Heads have publically reached out to Byrne several times over the years trying to persuade him to agree to a Talking Heads reunion tour, which would doubtless be a HUGE, massive financial windfall for everyone involved, but Byrne apparently doesn't even bother responding "Hey, can't you friggin' understand the word 'No'?" anymore, which after his making himself clear on his refusal many times before is not surprising

Anyways, Talking Heads are high on my personal list of "Top 10 Greatest American Bands Of All Time" and it is somehow a little sad to hear that despite making some incredible, timeless, joyous music together as a band, there is no actual human connection between them as a group of individuals.
              Last edited by MormonMatthew; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

We’ve reached the stage of quarantine where sifting thru hundreds of Netflix & Amazon movies will finally reveal a missed gem, like the CBGB flick with Alan Rickman (!). It was touching to see parts of the Talking Heads’ Hall of Fame induction speech acknowledging Hilly’s contributions to... bluegrass? As to Byrne’s likeability, or ability to like others, I’m a lot more empathetic to Asperger’s folks after working with civil engineers my entire career, and one admitted Asperger’s afflictee in particular. Simple human interactions are totally baffling, motivations not just unclear but dismissed, and consideration of others’ feelings is usually a consequence - not something that everyone else plays-and-replays before opening their mouths. Which is why the Byrne Fest show was so remarkable - I’d never seen him act so, dare I say, human before.

Comment

Foghats version of Take Me To The River was way brtter than The Talking Heads

Comment

I have heard the opposite on the Byrne and Harrison relationship. When Harrison was doing interviews for the Remain in Light tour with Turkuaz, that didn't happen, he mentioned getting together with Byrne when they are in the same city. He went to see the American Utopia show in San Francisco and was planning to see it on Broadway too. Harrison also said that when he worked on the surround sound mixes for old albums, he would talk to Byrne separately from Frantz and Weymouth. He's the middle man. And I believe Byrne said that he stays in touch with Harrison in the Dan Rather interview but he didn't say the same about Frantz and Weymouth.

Comment

Oh, look: A squirrel !

Comment

Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
                        Foghats version of Take Me To The River was way brtter than The Talking Heads
                        Oh boy.... what about AL GREEN'S ORIGINAL VERSION????

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
                          We’ve reached the stage of quarantine where sifting thru hundreds of Netflix & Amazon movies will finally reveal a missed gem, like the CBGB flick with Alan Rickman (!). It was touching to see parts of the Talking Heads’ Hall of Fame induction speech acknowledging Hilly’s contributions to... bluegrass? As to Byrne’s likeability, or ability to like others, I’m a lot more empathetic to Asperger’s folks after working with civil engineers my entire career, and one admitted Asperger’s afflictee in particular. Simple human interactions are totally baffling, motivations not just unclear but dismissed, and consideration of others’ feelings is usually a consequence - not something that everyone else plays-and-replays before opening their mouths. Which is why the Byrne Fest show was so remarkable - I’d never seen him act so, dare I say, human before.
                          I've met David Byrne a couple of times in NYC at a store and at The Bowery Ballroom. He certainly does not hide out or use bodyguards. He could not have been nicer.

Comment

Wow, two posts in the thread is hijacked. I know its not a record, but applause please.

Byrne's voice always reminded me of a small dog, like a Yorkie? A lot of yelps and yips.

---

Back to 1970.

The Airplane had been busted at the same hotel just before.

Unfortunately during the bust, Owsley was also nabbed and he had all sorts of juicy priors, which must have made things a little complicated.

NOLA's DA at the time was the infamous Jim Garrison. During his JFK investigation, he subpoenaed the Zapruder film. An investigator, Steven Jaffe (no relation to Ben, I hope!) copied the film and bootlegs started going around.

Hey wait, I just hijacked the thread again!

Comment

What was even sadder however was how incredibly amateur they sounded when they "performed" a couple of songs together. I realize that they hadn't shared a stage for many years but it was just terrible, a sad way for such an amazingly talented band to finish their legacy.

(of course that does nothing to diminish the incredible music that Talking Heads created together over the years. Between them and The Police, they are probably the two most groundbreaking, influential bands of the 1980's)
                              The Talking Heads were around for a while in the 70s. Their first 3 albums came out in that decade and Remain In Light was recorded in the Summer of 1980, 40 years ago this month. Somehow I never saw that RRHOF induction even though they are one of my favorite alltime bands. I tend not to watch those things. Yes, Tina Weymouth just rambled on and on. I hope for her sake she was high on something. And I agree they did not sound that great although I wouldn't go as far as to say sad. It looks like they had one rehearsal and just winged it. As for being "warm" toward each other, they did go through a lawsuit and were not good friends although David and Jerry I believe still get along. I was lucky to have seen them a few times including on The Remain In Light Tour and the last tour with David wearing the big suit at Forest Hills in Queens, shortly before they filmed Stop Making Sense. Easily to this day, that last time was one of my favorite shows of my entire life and I've seen a lot of them! All that being said I'm glad they (or he) never took the money and reformed. It would have never been the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X