Busted Down On Bourbon Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marignygreg View Post
    You can find the shows on archive.org. The second night was an unscheduled show to help pay legal fees if I remember correctly. If I could see one show at the Warehouse, it would be the Talking Heads on the Remain in Light tour.
    Talking Heads performed the last show at The Warehouse on September 10, 1982. That was kind of an in between tour as they brought in a new touring guitarist Alex Weir to replace Adrian Belew and were playing some songs from The Catherine Wheel. They would hit it big the following year.

Comment

David Byrne is now apologizing for appearing in Blackface back in the 1980's while filming the legendary concert film "Stop Making Sense" saying that watching the footage again now in 2020 is to him like "...looking into a mirror and seeing someone else, you're not, or was not the person you thought you were." which if successful in deflecting criticism and keeping America's rabid Cancel Culture at bay will be a statement that I am sure many, many other famous people wish they would have thought of first.

While I have a hard time believing that an intelligent, cultured man like David Byrne wasn't fully, 100% aware that even all the way back in the Dark Ages of the 1980's a white guy wearing makeup in order to appear to be an African American was deeply offensive to many people, I do think that intent ought to be taken into consideration, as well as a person's overall character---Byrne has famously collaborated with many black musical artists since the early days of his career, and specifically did a lot to help give a boost to funkster's Bernie Worrell's flagging career in the 1980's, and doesn't seem to espouse racist views that I am aware of. Still, I am not in a position to speak for those who might be angry or insulted, and his rather indifferent statement above sounds pretty halfhearted, but I guess the case is in the Jury of Public Opinion's hands now.

Frankly what I personally found most interesting in The Guardian article I read was that David Byrne is currently 68 years old, which obviously makes sense, but somehow is still hard to wrap my head around, as compared to many of my other favorite artists like Bob Dylan, Neil Young or Paul Simon, Byrne and the Talking Heads always seemed like fresh-faced youngsters. I hate to admit it, but in the picture accompanying the article, he is really looking his age, and my first thought u0pon seeing it was that he now looks like Angela Lansbury's slightly younger and less attractive little sister.
      Last edited by MormonMatthew; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
        David Byrne is now apologizing for appearing in Blackface back in the 1980's while filming the legendary concert film "Stop Making Sense" saying that watching the footage again now in 2020 is to him like "...looking into a mirror and seeing someone else, you're not, or was not the person you thought you were." which if successful in deflecting criticism and keeping America's rabid Cancel Culture at bay will be a statement that I am sure many, many other famous people wish they would have thought of first.

While I have a hard time believing that an intelligent, cultured man like David Byrne wasn't fully, 100% aware that even all the way back in the Dark Ages of the 1980's a white guy wearing makeup in order to appear to be an African American was deeply offensive to many people, I do think that intent ought to be taken into consideration, as well as a person's overall character---Byrne has famously collaborated with many black musical artists since the early days of his career, and specifically did a lot to help give a boost to funkster's Bernie Worrell's flagging career in the 1980's, and doesn't seem to espouse racist views that I am aware of. Still, I am not in a position to speak for those who might be angry or insulted, and his rather indifferent statement above sounds pretty halfhearted, but I guess the case is in the Jury of Public Opinion's hands now.

Frankly what I personally found most interesting in The Guardian article I read was that David Byrne is currently 68 years old, which obviously makes sense, but somehow is still hard to wrap my head around, as compared to many of my other favorite artists like Bob Dylan, Neil Young or Paul Simon, Byrne and the Talking Heads always seemed like fresh-faced youngsters. I hate to admit it, but in the picture accompanying the article, he is really looking his age, and my first thought u0pon seeing it was that he now looks like Angela Lansbury's slightly younger and less attractive little sister.
        Angela Lansbury has a little sister? Hubba Hubba!

Comment

Working...
        X