X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im going to be there!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Krewe of Chew View Post

So just a few days to Americana Fest. I've made some semblance of a plan. Canine Horror and (most likely) Fitchadelphia are coming, too. Gards, are you going? TQOF?Anyone else?
      I have SW flights booked but may need to cancel due to w*rk! UGH

Comment

• My friends loved Big Blues Bender in Vegas over the weekend. Looks pretty cool.

Comment

• We went to the Gleason Gras on Friday night.

The line up was very good with Paul Varisco and the Milestones, John King Cleary, Colin Lake and then Rebirth finishing off.

And the sound was fantastic through the big system and was well mixed.

I was very surprised that there was not more people there, but we still had a great time and won over $200 worth of prizes in the lucky dip raffle.

Including a $100 voucher to Lucys which will be well used

Comment

• Who won't be at JF 1st Weekend 2018

Comment

• Beatle Bob alive and well and "lookin' good" at Americana. Nicely flashy sport coat and buttoned up shirt throwing out those patented dance moves that amuse and amaze.

Comment

• Originally posted by 20-20 View Post
                Beatle Bob alive and well and "lookin' good" at Americana. Nicely flashy sport coat and buttoned up shirt throwing out those patented dance moves that amuse and amaze.
                I have never been one to indulge in slanderous, unfounded innuendo or to fan the flames of obscure Conspiracy Theories, but lately it occurs to me that no one has ever actually seen Beatle Bob, mluke66 or ex-Slovakian Minister of Foreign Affairs Miroslav Lakjcak together at the same time.... (O Childe, what a long, strange reis it's been....)

Coincidence?

You decide.
                Last edited by MormonMatthew; 1 week ago.

Comment

• Completelineupisout.my spacebaristoo. Some realgoodnesshere
                  Randy Newman, Lucinda Williams, T Bone Burnett, Billy Bragg and Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys are among the artists set to perform at the 2017 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival, officials announced Tuesday, Sept. 12. But that's just a few names on the lineup for the annual free three-day concert, which returns to Golden Gate Park with more than 100 eclectic acts across seven stages Oct. 6-8.

Comment

• Originally posted by 20-20 View Post
                    Beatle Bob alive and well and "lookin' good" at Americana. Nicely flashy sport coat and buttoned up shirt throwing out those patented dance moves that amuse and amaze.
                    Lord Horror is our man on the spot there as we speak.

I await his report

Comment

• Originally posted by TQOF View Post

I have SW flights booked but may need to cancel due to w*rk! UGH
                      In on the plane! Woohoo! Where can I catch up with y'all?

Comment

• We arrived late yesterday after driving from philly. The drive wasn't so bad since we had three drivers to rotate (I took the early shift) and we stopped in Natural Bridge VA for a hike to stretch our legs and enjoy the sunshine.
                        Once we ate dinner and settled into the Cannery complex we got to see Lord Horror and Ms Polly. We will run into Cindy and Dave later today hopefully.
                        I let my travel companions pick our music for last night and they wanted to hear a band called Lil Smokies from Montana. We loved them! As my buddy said "this is what those Mumford and Sons think that they sound like" Then we went to the Station Inn for Blair Crimmins and his band where the ultimate in chatting fuckwits was in attendance. This guy was drunk and shout talking over the music and the band was very very unhappy about it. We were deep in the cups at that point too so I didn't let it bother me too much. The band was a nice hot jazz group with the saddest most unmotivated horn players you ever did see. But they sounded good. We headed home and passed out at our airbnb.

Comment

• Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                          We arrived late yesterday after driving from philly. The drive wasn't so bad since we had three drivers to rotate (I took the early shift) and we stopped in Natural Bridge VA for a hike to stretch our legs and enjoy the sunshine.
                          Once we ate dinner and settled into the Cannery complex we got to see Lord Horror and Ms Polly. We will run into Cindy and Dave later today hopefully.
                          I let my travel companions pick our music for last night and they wanted to hear a band called Lil Smokies from Montana. We loved them! As my buddy said "this is what those Mumford and Sons think that they sound like" Then we went to the Station Inn for Blair Crimmins and his band where the ultimate in chatting fuckwits was in attendance. This guy was drunk and shout talking over the music and the band was very very unhappy about it. We were deep in the cups at that point too so I didn't let it bother me too much. The band was a nice hot jazz group with the saddest most unmotivated horn players you ever did see. But they sounded good. We headed home and passed out at our airbnb.
                          Yeah Lil Smokies kick it. Amazing how fast their ride. I saw them about two years ago for free in a teeny bar in Folsom. Me and about ten others. We all were saying how lucky we were, that they would be huge in couple of years. At least as huge as a bluegrass band could anyway. I love the Mumford reference...

Comment

• This festival is really great. Here's how yesterday went:
                            we went to Howlin Books for a reading accompanied by some playing by Luther, Cody and Mary Dickinson. Mary's reading was particularly enjoyable. Then we ate some lunch and went to a showcase at a brewery. Didn't plan to see JD McPherson but happy we did as his band rocked really hard. Then the deslondes played (with a big sleepy dog laying on stage behind them). We got tired of standing in the Concrete floor and left for some food and then hustled over to Third Man records for Joshua Headley. Wow! Nine band members on stage at the unusual blue room (curved poured concrete walls) and a thrown back sound so good I thought I was listening to my Gramp's old cassette tapes. If you love that big full country sound you've got to listen to him.
                            Then a hustle to the City Winery for Dave Alvin who also rocked big time. Then we ran back to the Cannery for some Gil Landry before finishing the night with a stunning Drive by Truckers performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                              This festival is really great. Here's how yesterday went:
                              we went to Howlin Books for a reading accompanied by some playing by Luther, Cody and Mary Dickinson. Mary's reading was particularly enjoyable. Then we ate some lunch and went to a showcase at a brewery. Didn't plan to see JD McPherson but happy we did as his band rocked really hard. Then the deslondes played (with a big sleepy dog laying on stage behind them). We got tired of standing in the Concrete floor and left for some food and then hustled over to Third Man records for Joshua Headley. Wow! Nine band members on stage at the unusual blue room (curved poured concrete walls) and a thrown back sound so good I thought I was listening to my Gramp's old cassette tapes. If you love that big full country sound you've got to listen to him.
                              Then a hustle to the City Winery for Dave Alvin who also rocked big time. Then we ran back to the Cannery for some Gil Landry before finishing the night with a stunning Drive by Truckers performance.
                              Serious envy here, and if Nashvegas was legitimately driving distance from here I'd be there as well - great, great lineup of artist collab's and showcases. How distant are the clubs from one another? Is it SXSW-ish in crowd/drinking/biz quotients? The Deslondes pic you posted on FB reminded me that I'd just read about the guys' Gig Bag essentials on the Bluegrass Situation page and that steel player John's can't-do-without item is his bucket - looks like he's added more gaffer tape in the interim! And Jim Dickinson's posthumous book title is something you wish you'd thought of... "I'm just dead. I'm not gone." Definitely on my to-read list! Keep the dispatches-from-the-front coming, Nicole

Comment

• I too was at the Jim d book reading, and it was really cool. Grimeys/ Howling is also a really dangerous place for a collector like me....goodies everywhere.
                                Later that afternoon, I caught two episodes of the new Mike Judge project " Tales from the tour bus" which will be aired soon and is not to be missed. Brilliantly clever animations and wild and hilarious tales about the likes of Johnny Paycheck, George and Tammy, Jerry Lee, Blaize Foley etc.
                                The screening was followed by a live show featuring a cavalcade of younger country talent, including the above mention Joshua Headley.
                                From there I headed out to see the delectable Allison Mooorer with her sister Shelby Lynne at the amazing downtown Presbyterian Church. Lovely show, and I'm off to catch them again now..
                                How do you follow those two? Well, Shannon McNally was my answer to that conundrum, and it was another wonderful show.
                                That was in turn followed by Willie Watson performing his brand new album, joined by the Fairfield Four, and watched by his producer and label owners, Dave Rawlings with Gillian Welch.
                                What with Dave Alvin and the Drive By Truckers closing out, it was another spectacular day.

Comment

Working...
                                X