Robbie's book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robbie's book

I'm a little over halfway thru with Robbie Robertson's new book "Testimony". Terrific, if you love The Band like I do, gotta read it
    Starts out 1960, 16 yr. old Robbie, Jewish/Mohawk Canadian, is taking train & bus to get to Arkansas to join Ronnie Hawkins & the Hawks killa rockabilly band...
    I know lots of people on this board side with Levon in his feud with Robbie, I really don't care, its their business & I guess they had a heart to heart talk in Levon's last days. Robbie hasn't mentioned it so far.
    I've read Levon's book as well as "Across the Great Divide", by a neutral journalist... can't get enough
    Garth next????

I don't have any special insight about The Band, or the relationship between the members, but I have loved their music for well over 30 years and cannot imagine not enjoying it for the rest of my life.

That said, I have watched a few different interviews that Robbie Robertson has done recently, in promotion of his new book, and my instinctive feeling is that he is an extremely vain, arrogant, narcissistic person who comes off as someone who likely doesn't have a lot of real friends in this world.

Comment

I got the book, read a bit and am into it, but I'm in the middle of another book right now.(Rock Lives, interviews and profiles from Rolling Stone of the greatest ever, some are older some more recent, but an amazing good book)
      I
      ​​​​i for one, thought they were a better band post Robbie then they were during their heyday. The Cate Brothers crew. .I heard a show from Grass Valley fairgrounds (Jerry was the headliner) that was out of control. Not neat, loosely goosey, odd songs, a jam band really.

I think that was the problems, Robbie wanted things to be just so, like his sporadic output of over produced "art" music since 1976, but the rest of the guys, they wanted to rock. They were road dogs, and Robbie was "Stage Fright". (Great story in Bill Graham's book, which is mandatory in every study of the Band/Dylan).

Royalties. Songwriting royalties. Take after tale of the money being in the way of the music. Who wrote what, when etc. You gotta be thinking like that. Like a lawyer. Either that or bring only completed works to the band. But that don't happen, especially in the formative years, when it's you and the band, jammin', writing songs together.

t's a shame how Danko and Richard Manual went out. Was very happy to see Levon twice in 2010, at Fest and Outside Lands.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
        It's a shame how Danko and Richard Manual went out
        Yeah, The Band was clearly not an easy entity to participate in and stay emotionally and physically healthy and Robbie had a valid point indeed when in The Last Waltz he mentioned how many great ones life on"The Road" has taken.

Both Richard Manuel and Rick Danko had decades-long struggles with drugs and alcohol and they clearly took their toll. Rick Danko was actually in a years-long romantic relationship with Cathy Smith, the woman who infamously injected John Belushi with his fatal heroin overdose.
        -----------------------------------
        "It Makes No Difference, Night Or Day, The Shadows Never Seem To Fade Away..."
        Last edited by MormonMatthew; 12-25-2016, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I got the book, read a bit and am into it, but I'm in the middle of another book right now.(Rock Lives, interviews and profiles from Rolling Stone of the greatest ever, some are older some more recent, but an amazing good book)
          I
          ​​​​i for one, thought they were a better band post Robbie then they were during their heyday. The Cate Brothers crew. .I heard a show from Grass Valley fairgrounds (Jerry was the headliner) that was out of control. Not neat, loosely goosey, odd songs, a jam band really.

I think that was the problems, Robbie wanted things to be just so, like his sporadic output of over produced "art" music since 1976, but the rest of the guys, they wanted to rock. They were road dogs, and Robbie was "Stage Fright". (Great story in Bill Graham's book, which is mandatory in every study of the Band/Dylan).

Royalties. Songwriting royalties. Take after tale of the money being in the way of the music. Who wrote what, when etc. You gotta be thinking like that. Like a lawyer. Either that or bring only completed works to the band. But that don't happen, especially in the formative years, when it's you and the band, jammin', writing songs together.

t's a shame how Danko and Richard Manual went out. Was very happy to see Levon twice in 2010, at Fest and Outside Lands.
          "​​​​i for one, thought they were a better band post Robbie then they were during their heyday"... Now its official. You are certifiably insane. Too many psychedelics?

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
            I don't have any special insight about The Band, or the relationship between the members, but I have loved their music for well over 30 years and cannot imagine not enjoying it for the rest of my life.

That said, I have watched a few different interviews that Robbie Robertson has done recently, in promotion of his new book, and my instinctive feeling is that he is an extremely vain, arrogant, narcissistic person who comes off as someone who likely doesn't have a lot of real friends in this world.
            Why don't you read the book instead of making shallow snap judgements?
            I'm not looking to hang out with Robbie, I just love the music & find the story fascinating

Comment

I

"sporadic output of over produced "art" music since 1976" I agree on that, except for the brilliant song "Somewhere Down the Lazy River", most of it is crap
              I guess you have a shred of sanity left....whew

Comment

I

Did you ever see them live with Robbie?
                " a jam band really" .... oh, that explains everything
                Later in the book, after "Big Pink" came out, Clapton came to visit in Woodstock wanted to jam. Robbie told him, "We don't jam much"
                Last edited by revjimk; 12-25-2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I

"I think that was the problems, Robbie wanted things to be just so,.....but the rest of the guys, they wanted to rock."
                  That was the whole point. They had been "rocking" on the road for years, saw the trend in 60s music toward endless jamming & solos, & wanted to create coherent songs with great vocals.Robbie didn't force anyone, it was a totally collaborative effort. Thats why everybody loved them so much, why guys like Clapton were inspired to quit Cream. He was sick of it too....
                  Obviously not Bennie, tho

Comment

Originally posted by revjimk View Post

Did you ever see them live with Robbie?
                    " a jam band really" .... oh, that explains everything
                    Later in the book, after "Big Pink" came out, Clapton came to visit in Woodstock wanted to jam. Robbie told him, "We don't jam much"
                    Why yes I did. Dylan, the LW, and the CSNY tour.
                    Ever heard the complete Last Waltz? Robbie produced the shit out of the official recording.Cut verses (Cripple Creek) took out drum fills, embellished his guitar and positioned himself as the star of the show. The beauty of the complete LW is that no matter how tight Robbie wanted them to be, they weren't. That shit is crazy loose.

Later they played differently, more from a jam point of view than with Robbie where shit was so tight. Lots of songs, lots of fun music. Saw the post Robbie band ten times maybe? Once in Lodi atCherokee Lanes, the oddest venue ever. Couples times opening for the Dead...In GGP a couple of times...

(BTW, I think Leftover Salmon is the thread to the Band. )

Comment

One of the best concerts of my life, and I've seen a bunch....was the Band circa 1983 with the Cate Bros. You could even Zydeco dance if you wanted. To Quote MM......."molly fucking incredible". Not sure of the Krakow translation.

Comment

Well, this thread certainly took a sharp turn. Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by revjimk View Post
                          Robbie didn't force anyone, it was a totally collaborative effort.
                          Agree with this, which is hard to reconcile with him taking all the credit and corresponding royalties.

That said, I like a fair amount of his solo output. I love the whole Storyville album, and at least half the songs on his first album, especially "Broken Arrow."

Comment

Why yes I did. Dylan, the LW, and the CSNY tour.
                            Ever heard the complete Last Waltz? Robbie produced the shit out of the official recording.Cut verses (Cripple Creek) took out drum fills, embellished his guitar and positioned himself as the star of the show. The beauty of the complete LW is that no matter how tight Robbie wanted them to be, they weren't. That shit is crazy loose.

Later they played differently, more from a jam point of view than with Robbie where shit was so tight. Lots of songs, lots of fun music. Saw the post Robbie band ten times maybe? Once in Lodi atCherokee Lanes, the oddest venue ever. Couples times opening for the Dead...In GGP a couple of times...

(BTW, I think Leftover Salmon is the thread to the Band. )
                            You saw the Last Waltz live? I'm jealous
                            When was CSNY tour? I suspect that might have been past their prime...
                            I didn't like Band with Dylan in 1974 (?) at all. Live in 69 & 70, they were perfect

Comment

It was Levon's Band and for RR to call it quits because HE was tired of "the road" is ludicrous. What did they tour for? Ten years max? That's nothing compared to real road dogs. RR has some serious issues and self importance is prominent among them. He was really not the meat in the sandwich.

I still dig "Contact From the Underworld of Red Boy". Excellent record.

I loved how Garth Hudson charged them for music lessons...
                              Last edited by Meters Fan; 12-27-2016, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X