Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite NO Venues

If I had to rate my top clubs they would be as follows:

1) Tips - there is no supplanting that place. Everything sounds better in there
    2) Saturn Bar - they don't have music often, but when they do, it is awesome
    3) Louisiana Music Factory - the only place I multitask during a show
    4) Carrolton Station - good sound, good vibe, great bookings
    5) One Eyed jack's - love the multi-level layout
    6) Hi-Ho Lounge - theit bookings have fallen off some lately, but love the venue
    7) Banks Street bar - if you haven't guessed by now, I luv me some dive bars
    8) Siberia - Love the diversity of the acts
    9) dba - especially early or late
    10) Maple Leaf - only for the latest of shows
    11) Chickie Wah Wah - only if you get there early
    12) Circle Bar - magic seems to happen there often
    13) BJ's Lounge - also magic
    14) Check Point Charlie's - that place always makes me smile
    15) Old Arabi Bar - went for the first time last year - not sure what is on the ceiling, but I'll be back\
    16) Howlin' Wolf - sometimes you just need a big venue
    17) Blue Nile Balcony - love the square layout
    18) Bacchanal - would be higher if it went later
    19) Bullet's - If only they took shorter breaks
    20) Gasa Gasa - Went for the first time last year - expect it will move up my list
    21) Joy Theater - nice size for a big-ish place
    22) Spotted Cat - love to stop in for a song or two - never seem to stay for a full set
    23) Allways Lounge - have seen something completely different there the last few years
    24) Bambouola's - I think if they booked better acts, the back room would be very popular
    25) Sidney's - Caught King James & the Special Men there last year - I will be back

Honorable mention to Benny's - if it was still in existance, it would be #1

Anyone else want to play?

Chickie Wah Wah would be higher on my list. If you don't mind being side-stage the area past the bar isn't bad, even if he show is packed.
    I'd also put the Little Gem Saloon on my list.
    Tip's would still be at the top.

Comment

I love Chickie Wah wah. Even if you are outside, you are closer than you can get at most places. The food coming out of that teeny kitchen is amazing too.
      i love the Rocking Bowl too. Great sound, sightlines and the drinks are strong and the food is excellent. Not to mention an older, less rude clientele.
      Tips is amazing but, it gets crunchy up front. Tough to move around inside too. Love the scene out front during IAC. Love the late night shows that turn into early morning shows.

Comment

I still haven't been to the Old Pernt, but this may be the year of minimal after-show pre-buy's and more seat of the pants decisions. I still don't know whether to blame the late line-up announcement for the immediate sell-outs of a few shows, or just the popularity of those acts.

Chickie Wah-Wah is sublime if you're in front of the act and sitting down, and I'd take your "only if you get there early" and apply it to One-Eyed Jack's. I've never been on the lower level, how freakin' early do you have to arrive to manage that?

I'd be more interested in Redux than Bacchanal, but they're both on the way to Arabi and I'm dying to see Irene Sage belt out some tunes at the Old Arabi.

Comment

Forgot about the old point - that is probably in my top ten. There was one fest that I went there three or four times. It is also the venue that i saw the best concert of my life - the first year Marc Stone put on that Campbell Brothers show with David Easley, Shannon Mcnally and a bunch of other folks. I'll never forget that night. There also was another venue right across the street from the Old point where I saw Betty Harris - I don't think it is there any more, but I'd love to remember the name of it.

As for getting up front for OEJ, I don't think I've ever been anywhere but on the lower level. I guess I either go to fewer sold out shows there or am just a pushy NY'er. Either way, I don't recall getting there crazy early.

Comment

I was at the Marc Stone with David Easley event. Lot;s of fun. I think place across the street is closed. It was Warren's Corner I think.

Comment

FYI - King James plays at Saturn Bar now on Mondays

Comment

Tips
                Howlin Wolf
                OEJ-have never had the crowding problem people are mentioning, just depends on the show i guess
                Blue Nile
                Maple Leaf

I did not have a good experience at Chickie Wah Wah, when that place is packed its a night mare getting to bathrooms and bar

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                  Forgot about the old point - that is probably in my top ten. There was one fest that I went there three or four times. It is also the venue that i saw the best concert of my life - the first year Marc Stone put on that Campbell Brothers show with David Easley, Shannon Mcnally and a bunch of other folks. I'll never forget that night. There also was another venue right across the street from the Old point where I saw Betty Harris - I don't think it is there any more, but I'd love to remember the name of it.

As for getting up front for OEJ, I don't think I've ever been anywhere but on the lower level. I guess I either go to fewer sold out shows there or am just a pushy NY'er. Either way, I don't recall getting there crazy early.
                  That Campbell Brothers show at the Old Point was phenomenal. Anders , Tim Green and Terrance Simien also played. Marc Stone put out a live cd from the show. He also filmed it but as far as I know it was never released as a dvd. I've been to Jazzfest over twenty times and that night still ranks as one of my all-time favorite shows.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
                    I love Chickie Wah wah. Even if you are outside, you are closer than you can get at most places. The food coming out of that teeny kitchen is amazing too.
                    There have been a few different operations come and go in the Chickie kitchen. The previous BBQ there - Blue Oak - opened their own standalone spot on Carrollton last year, and the food there is still terrific. Since this past November, there's a new BBQ vendor in Chickie, called NOLA Cochon King. Run the the same folks who do NOLA Crawfish King, aka Shaggy. I've eaten it a couple of times, and just my opinion, he's better at crawfish. The food isn't bad, but nothing special either.

Chickie is still one of my favorite venues in town, though.
                    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Hmmmm. GEtting older means I like places where I can sit for a bit if need be. Blue Nile is one of my favorite spots now that they've remodeled it a bit with a taller stage and no bigass pole at the front blocking views. Also makes it easier to get to the restrooms. As with any venue, I love Tips if it's not overcrowded. Seeing the 101 Runners there a couple weeks ago was a pleasure as we could move around easily. Also like dba and banks street bar and the maple leaf when it's not packed out. The patio is lovely and now has a connecting door to Frenchy's (he has moved next door). I also like Howling Wolf for Bayou Rendezvous as you can move easily between the two stages and there are usually a few chairs in the Den. Love me some LMF too.

Comment

I always liked Jimmy's on Willow, across the street from Carrollton Station. I read a couple of years ago that it was set to open again but never heard anything more.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBill View Post
                          I was at the Marc Stone with David Easley event. Lot;s of fun. I think place across the street is closed. It was Warren's Corner I think.
                          Warren's Corner is owned by Old Point and can be rented for private events. Any Threadheads interested?

Comment

#12 Circle Bar does always seem to have something crazy going down. Be it the band, the bartender or me or you, its often hilarious, even as you say magical.

Comment

I believe the old Jimmy's may now be a dance club aimed at college kids. I sure haven't noticed any music going on there and I live in the neighborhood.

Comment

Working...
                              X