Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayou Teche Brewing

A Mardi Gras Beer, Straight From Cajun Country

I have only had the 31 and maybe one other. I didn't love the beer (and I'm not a huge fan of the other styles described), but this is a good read and the place sounds worthy of a visit for the people and the culture irrespective.

The Boucanée is a favorite of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
      The Boucanée is a favorite of mine.
      Have not had that one, but just read the description and it sounds very good (and very interesting) to me. I'll have to look for that one next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post
        A Mardi Gras Beer, Straight From Cajun Country

I have only had the 31 and maybe one other. I didn't love the beer (and I'm not a huge fan of the other styles described), but this is a good read and the place sounds worthy of a visit for the people and the culture irrespective.
        "place sounds worthy of a visit for the people and the culture irrespective."
        thats what I've been trying to tell people...
        Arnaudville has some folks who moved in the last few years making it a mini arts & music zone

Comment

But that profile picture.

Comment

I'm always looking for opportunities to visit taprooms. Having said that, my tastes have substantially (and possibly irreversibly) changed from loving dark, aromatic, beers - Downtown Brown was my go-to, and even better on tap at Lost Coast - to crisp-finish bitter-er-the-better IPA's, of which we have a few thousand spectacular varieties out my way. Stouts? For cooking reductions, definitely. Sours? uh-uh. Belgians? Nope. Wits or weizen? Only if there's a barley blight (northern German beer humor). If you like a wide variety of beers, enjoy them now, your tastes could change, too! But what the article mentions about 31 going well with food is different than a beer-for-beer's-sake outing, and the beer has a short-tailed finish with almost no distinguishing taste signature (to me) to detract from the meal. I've ordered it with savory, spicy, foods and it holds up very well. I think the taproom visit would be the ticket - usually new, or non-distribution, beers on tap at the good'un's. Certainly true up in Abita Springs - and I'm also hoping to visit 40 Arpent while we're there this year.
            Last edited by duende; 02-22-2017, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
              I'm always looking for opportunities to visit taprooms. Having said that, my tastes have substantially (and possibly irreversibly) changed from loving dark, aromatic, beers - Downtown Brown was my go-to, and even better on tap at Lost Coast - to crisp-finish bitter-er-the-better IPA's, of which we have a few thousand spectacular varieties out my way. Stouts? For cooking reductions, definitely. Sours? uh-uh. Belgians? Nope. Wits or weizen? Only if there's a barley blight (northern German beer humor). If you like a wide variety of beers, enjoy them now, your tastes could change, too! But what the article mentions about 31 going well with food is different than a beer-for-beer's-sake outing, and the beer has a short-tailed finish with almost no distinguishing taste signature (to me) to detract from the meal. I've ordered it with savory, spicy, foods and it holds up very well. I think the taproom visit would be the ticket - usually new, or non-distribution, beers on tap at the good'un's. Certainly true up in Abita Springs - and I'm also hoping to visit 40 Arpent while we're there this year.
              I experienced that progression (or regression depending on your view) several years ago, but in the past year have now transitioned away from beer almost entirely. I'm big on hard ciders now, and the varieties are exploding and many also pair well with food. I also feel better after drinking it than I do after drinking beer.

Comment

That's better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

I experienced that progression (or regression depending on your view) several years ago, but in the past year have now transitioned away from beer almost entirely. I'm big on hard ciders now, and the varieties are exploding and many also pair well with food. I also feel better after drinking it than I do after drinking beer.
                  next time we are at the same event we need to have a cider geek out. I'm always on the lookout for ciders new to the philly area but what I've really enjoyed it getting out into the Ithaca-Finger Lakes region to enjoy the cider renaissance occurring in New York State. Last summer we spent one afternoon at the Finger Lakes Cider House on the Good Life Farm (!) sampling ciders and cheeses while overlooking the Lake. The NY cider makers are putting out super products. It's on the calendar for us again this summer.

Have you had anything memorable lately?

Comment

next time we are at the same event we need to have a cider geek out. I'm always on the lookout for ciders new to the philly area but what I've really enjoyed it getting out into the Ithaca-Finger Lakes region to enjoy the cider renaissance occurring in New York State. Last summer we spent one afternoon at the Finger Lakes Cider House on the Good Life Farm (!) sampling ciders and cheeses while overlooking the Lake. The NY cider makers are putting out super products. It's on the calendar for us again this summer.

Have you had anything memorable lately?
                    Well that's a heck of a coincidence! We were just in Ithaca last weekend visiting Ithaca College with our daughter and I was blown away to discover that the surrounding area is ground zero for the American craft cider boom. We spent Saturday afternoon at Finger Lakes Cider House and tasted fifteen (!) different ciders, including a flight of five and several of the Good Life ones. I spent a ton of money there, at the Cellar D'or in Ithaca and at the local Wegmans to bring home ciders from there that I can't get here. I've literally tasted over twenty different ones that are new to me over the past five days. I tend towards the drier ones, but I didn't have a bad one in the entire bunch. My favorites included South Hill's Bluegrass Russett and Old-Time, and their Pommeau is amazing (and really expensive), but definitely a dessert wine type thing that needs to be sipped; Black Duck's Woody Dry; Black Diamond's Jaywalker; Redbyrd's Workman Dry; and Good Life's Cazenovia.

The Cellar D'or is a wine and cider store in the Commons that has around 20 different local bottles for sale, and six different local ciders on tap that they sell in growlers (32 oz.), so remember to bring your own next time you head up there (or else you can buy them there of course).

I am a big fan of the 1911 ciders, which are widely available throughout the area up there. My mother in law used to live nearby and would bring it to me all the time. I stocked up on my favorites from them, a hopped one and one that has ginger in it. I love both of them.

Biggest surprise of late was trying Angry Orchard's Old Fashioned from their "Orchard's Edge" series. Crazy combination apparently intended to mimic the drink ingredients, but it works, Not dry, but a nice combination of flavors. They are doing a lot of experimental ciders there, too, and I hope to visit their place in Walden, NY soon.

Last edited by Lit; 02-22-2017, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Lit I brought home a case of Cazenovia! This along with a case of mixed bottles as well. What a cool coincidence. Our trip was back in early July so I can't remember everything we tasted but I too enjoyed every cider very much. If you return in better weather and like this sort of thing, there's a cool fancy camping thing in Ithaca called Firelight Camps or something like that. We stayed there one night and drank local ciders, slept sort of outside and got to hike and see water falls nearby. We had a few favorite breweries but the cider was the main event. A little side trip on the way home to Cooperstown and Ommegang Brewery were both awesome. So was the Ithaca Farmers Market where we ate Japanese food out on the dock over the misty lake.
                      Last edited by fichadelphia; 02-22-2017, 07:48 PM.

Comment

We visited there last Fest season. Nice place, and fine people

Comment

Lit I brought home a case of Cazenovia! This along with a case of mixed bottles as well. What a cool coincidence. Our trip was back in early July so I can't remember everything we tasted but I too enjoyed every cider very much. If you return in better weather and like this sort of thing, there's a cool fancy camping thing in Ithaca called Firelight Camps or something like that. We stayed there one night and drank local ciders, slept sort of outside and got to hike and see water falls nearby. We had a few favorite breweries but the cider was the main event. A little side trip on the way home to Cooperstown and Ommegang Brewery were both awesome. So was the Ithaca Farmers Market where we ate Japanese food out on the dock over the misty lake.
                          Thanks, Fich. Remarkably the weather was very unseasonably mild--sunny and mid-60s on Saturday! They made sure to tell all the prospective students that it was a very rare occurrence and they are usually buried under several feet of snow now. I hope to get back to the area soon and will keep the camping thing in mind if the season is right. I don't think our oldest will end up going to school there, but it may be a better fit for our middle daughter.

I already finished the Cazenovia I brought home with me--wish I bought more!

Comment

There is a place in Sonoma county called Ace Premium Ciders that makes a pear cider that is simply one of the most delicious beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic alike) that I have ever tasted in my life. It is tart, highly carbonated and clean finishing, much like a good Spanish cava, and absolutely perfect on a warm summer evening.

Apparently cider is quite popular in Poland, (some are very good, many are too sweet for my tastes) as the climate is conducive to orchards, but too cold for vineyards, actually much like Northern Utah...

Comment

One of my beer geek friends is visiting NOLA next week on a beer exploration visit. A week of breweries tap rooms etc! The group is a bunch of beer officials, writers, judges etc. Can't wait to see their report.

Comment

Working...
                              X