The Wagon Is Waiting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wagon Is Waiting...

Hey All, now with yesterday's Mardi Gras debauch but a hazy memory, I am wondering if any Threadheads are going to be "Giving something up for Lent" in the coming weeks?

I decided that I had been bending the ol' elbow a little too frequently as of late, so I vowed to myself a bit back that I would eliminate alcohol (in my case that almost exclusively means beer, which comprises 95% of my alcoholic beverage consumption) starting today, and ending in exactly 4 weeks time, when I am flying to Brussels to see the Tedeschi Trucks Band, where I will most certainty sample several assorted Belgian brews. As I am not Catholic, I am not actually doing this for any religious reasons, but just as a chance to clear my head a bit, so to speak, and hopefully drop a few pounds in the bargain.

Anyways, anyone else doing something similar, for any reason?

(when I told my hauntingly beautiful bartender friend Jowita I was not going to be drinking any beer this month, I told her the American slang term for this was called "Going On The Wagon" and asked her if there was a similar saying in Polish. She thought about it for a while, and said that she didn't think so, and then added that it was probably because Polish people don't ever voluntarily stop drinking...)

Well, Matthew...... Nope.

Comment

I'm going to give up hankie waving.

Comment

A few Lents ago (not religious/Catholic, but it seems like a good opportunity) I gave up red meat and green herb for 25 days.
        I have to admit, I looked a LOT better at the end of that and may give it a run starting today.
        We'll see how it goes at lunch.
        Edit; Im already alcohol free, since the mid 90s, and for VERY good reasons....

Comment

I've been on the wagon since The Cubs victory parade.I'm sure someone will twist my arm to have a beer at The Patry

Comment

Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
            I've been on the wagon since The Cubs victory parade.I'm sure someone will twist my arm to have a beer at The Patry
            The Illinois Department of Probation and Parole has no jurisdiction in New Orleans?

Comment

I just give up sex.

Comment

Hankandlee, I somehow knew you were my brother from another mother. I also gave up drinking in the late 90s. It just wasn't pretty when I drank. I gave up herb for 2months last winter when I couldn't get rid of bronchitis. Not interested in doing that again unless I just have to.

Comment

"When they come to bring you down
                  when they bring that wagon 'round"

and here I thought you were going to say she was a deadhead! I've thought of going on the straight'n'narrow, but beer week starts here in a few days & we've got tasting event tix - and I'm playing a Lagunitas 4:20 tap takeover, so the next couple of weeks are out. Maybe forgo fried stuff? That'd be as hard or harder than giving up alcohol!

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
                    Hey All, now with yesterday's Mardi Gras debauch but a hazy memory, I am wondering if any Threadheads are going to be "Giving something up for Lent" in the coming weeks?

Giving up sarcasm. For ever.

Comment

Hey now, Matthew!! It's so good to see you here! I'm giving up wine for Lent this year and I'm already dreading it. I never give anything up normally but felt the whisper that I should this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

I decided that I had been bending the ol' elbow a little too frequently as of late, so I vowed to myself a bit back that I would eliminate alcohol (in my case that almost exclusively means beer, which comprises 95% of my alcoholic beverage consumption) starting today, and ending in exactly 4 weeks time, when I am flying to Brussels to see the Tedeschi Trucks Band, where I will most certainty sample several assorted Belgian brews. As I am not Catholic, I am not actually doing this for any religious reasons, but just as a chance to clear my head a bit, so to speak, and hopefully drop a few pounds in the bargain.

(when I told my hauntingly beautiful bartender friend Jowita I was not going to be drinking any beer this month, I told her the American slang term for this was called "Going On The Wagon" and asked her if there was a similar saying in Polish. She thought about it for a while, and said that she didn't think so, and then added that it was probably because Polish people don't ever voluntarily stop drinking...)
                        In the words of the Rads, this Wagon's Gonna Roll.

Comment

Originally posted by piscesgirl View Post
                          Hey now, Matthew!! It's so good to see you here! I'm giving up wine for Lent this year and I'm already dreading it..
                          Gail my lovely friend, nice to see you back on the boards as well. I have been thinking of you, hoping all is wonderful in your world.

As far as our mutual self-imposed abstinence is concerned, being able to remind yourself that at the end of your alcoho-break you will be rewarding yourself with a week's vacation in Brussels and Amsterdam with the Tedeschi Trucks Band seems to help the "separation anxiety" a lot.

Perhaps you might consider trying it...

Seriously, though, the time will fly by, and I am sure they will still be making wine in mid-April.

Signed,

Your newly bright eyed, bushy tailed friend,

ModerateMatthew

Comment

Originally posted by Staxsun View Post

In the words of the Rads, this Wagon's Gonna Roll.
                            I appreciate the words of confidence, Tom.

In the words of the Grateful Dead

"When they come to take you down, When they bring that wagon 'round,

When they come to call on you, And to drag your poor body down,

Just one thing I ask of you, Just one thing for me,

Please forget you knew my name, My darling, Sugaree..."

Comment

Well I am busy by my miserable standards, so I know that in the next two weeks there will be at least 5 booze free days.

And when cricket season is over I drink less, as I am not behind the bar at the club, which can lead to trouble.

I will be w#rking most Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday arvos once football season starts here late March, that means a lot of enforced abstaining until Easter.

But after that its Byron then Nola, and off we go again

The more I drink the more exercise I do to compensate. Probably makes no difference, but it makes me feel better.

I have started doing some boxing stuff again, but not against any one else as I am too slow for that now.

But just hitting the bag and the speedball and then I have a beer afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X