Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Baltimore recommendations please

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by revjimk View Post
    The "very stable genius" doesn't like Baltimore
    Better not go, or you might face a hostile Tweet....
    I have never loved Baltimore more than after that tweet.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by Lit View Post
      Tentatively eying one of the James Carter Organ Trio shows at the end of September at Keystone Korner. Any of you Baltimore people have those shows on your radar?
      Sounds good to me!

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by larrybalmur View Post

        Yep. going to one of those shows for sure. Check in when it's closer or let me know if you've picked out a day. Dr. Lonnie, Abdullah Ibrahim, Christian McBride, Joey De will be hit before then. James Carter was in earlier for a Rashan Roland Kirk tribute and he slayed.
        Larry, these all sound great!!! Will you let me know if/when you and your wife are going? Would love to meet you guys down there!

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by brooklyngal View Post

          I have never loved Baltimore more than after that tweet.
          This is what the President of Loyola sent to the Loyola community; my daughter said his response reinforced her confidence that she chose the right place to go to school, and she has been proudly sporting her Baltimore garb all week:


          Dear Members of the Loyola Community:

          In recent days, the national conversation has focused on Baltimore, as many of us have seen disheartening comments from President Donald Trump. Those words do not reflect the city I know and love.

          Loyola University Maryland is proud to be an anchor institution in Baltimore. Our city has a rich history, a vibrant blend of diverse cultures, and some of the best health care and educational institutions in the country, as well as thriving businesses. Baltimore also has its challenges, as every city—every community—does. Particularly as a Jesuit, Catholic university that is invested in supporting and advancing our city, we join our local leaders in naming those issues and working together to create solutions. Loyola is grateful to partner with organizations and businesses and institutions across this city to work together to strengthen Baltimore—and our students are a key part of that success.

          It is not just the future, however, that is bright. Right now, we are seeing tremendous growth and opportunity for our city. Baltimore is a place that inspires and cultivates innovation and entrepreneurship. It is a city full of optimism. Those outside the city may not be able to appreciate fully the progress that is happening within Baltimore, but it is well underway—and we have great hope for the future.

          Each fall when our new students arrive at Loyola, we begin to introduce them to Baltimore—not just the dynamic theater and cuisine and professional athletic events, but also some of the challenges that every city faces. Throughout their time on our campus and in the community, our students gain a fuller appreciation for how to be persons for and with others. As they serve in internships and volunteer throughout the city, our students receive a more complete educational experience because they are residents of Baltimore. I’m pleased that nearly 50% of our Loyola graduates make Baltimore their home after graduation. They see the opportunity that exists here—and they want to be part of it. Earlier this week, Visit Baltimore shared this compelling graphic that shows just a few of the reasons we can be proud of Baltimore.

          The Society of Jesus has traditionally established schools and churches in urban environments, and Loyola was founded specifically to serve the people of Baltimore. This week, as we celebrate the Feast of St. Ignatius of Loyola—the founder of the Jesuits and our university’s namesake and patron saint—I can think of no more fitting time for us to renew our commitment to our city. As St. Ignatius said, “If you promise anything for tomorrow, do it today rather than put it off.”

          May God bless our city of Baltimore and all those who believe in its extraordinarily bright future.

          Sincerely,

          Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J.
          President




          Comment


          • #95
            And all of that "pedophile" nonsense. What a hoax. I've heard that Trump made that up also. Gotta love those Jesuits. Protect the brand and head in the sand.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
              And all of that "pedophile" nonsense. What a hoax. I've heard that Trump made that up also. Gotta love those Jesuits. Protect the brand and head in the sand.
              Your bridge underpass washed out again?

              Tell it to Gorsuch and Kavanaugh.



              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Lit View Post


                Your bridge underpass washed out again?

                Tell it to Gorsuch and Kavanaugh.


                I'm not attempting to make this personal or political. I have been a denizen of "charm city" since probably before you were born. Saw Blaze Starr there. My first Dead concert was there. Cannot tell you how many O's games that I have attended after Washington DC lost it's baseball team twice. Do not let your political affinities and affiliations cloud your judgement. Baltimore needs help. The city is prospering in some areas but falling apart in many others. Partisan politics from outsiders do the local populace no particular good.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by Lit View Post


                  This is what the President of Loyola sent to the Loyola community; my daughter said his response reinforced her confidence that she chose the right place to go to school, and she has been proudly sporting her Baltimore garb all week:


                  Dear Members of the Loyola Community:

                  In recent days, the national conversation has focused on Baltimore, as many of us have seen disheartening comments from President Donald Trump. Those words do not reflect the city I know and love.

                  Loyola University Maryland is proud to be an anchor institution in Baltimore. Our city has a rich history, a vibrant blend of diverse cultures, and some of the best health care and educational institutions in the country, as well as thriving businesses. Baltimore also has its challenges, as every city—every community—does. Particularly as a Jesuit, Catholic university that is invested in supporting and advancing our city, we join our local leaders in naming those issues and working together to create solutions. Loyola is grateful to partner with organizations and businesses and institutions across this city to work together to strengthen Baltimore—and our students are a key part of that success.

                  It is not just the future, however, that is bright. Right now, we are seeing tremendous growth and opportunity for our city. Baltimore is a place that inspires and cultivates innovation and entrepreneurship. It is a city full of optimism. Those outside the city may not be able to appreciate fully the progress that is happening within Baltimore, but it is well underway—and we have great hope for the future.

                  Each fall when our new students arrive at Loyola, we begin to introduce them to Baltimore—not just the dynamic theater and cuisine and professional athletic events, but also some of the challenges that every city faces. Throughout their time on our campus and in the community, our students gain a fuller appreciation for how to be persons for and with others. As they serve in internships and volunteer throughout the city, our students receive a more complete educational experience because they are residents of Baltimore. I’m pleased that nearly 50% of our Loyola graduates make Baltimore their home after graduation. They see the opportunity that exists here—and they want to be part of it. Earlier this week, Visit Baltimore shared this compelling graphic that shows just a few of the reasons we can be proud of Baltimore.

                  The Society of Jesus has traditionally established schools and churches in urban environments, and Loyola was founded specifically to serve the people of Baltimore. This week, as we celebrate the Feast of St. Ignatius of Loyola—the founder of the Jesuits and our university’s namesake and patron saint—I can think of no more fitting time for us to renew our commitment to our city. As St. Ignatius said, “If you promise anything for tomorrow, do it today rather than put it off.”

                  May God bless our city of Baltimore and all those who believe in its extraordinarily bright future.

                  Sincerely,

                  Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J.
                  President



                  Nice letter, thanks for posting.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
                    Partisan politics from outsiders do the local populace no particular good.
                    What, exactly, do you think your tiny-fingered, Cheeto-faced, ferret-wearing shitgibbon is doing?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Lit View Post


                      What, exactly, do you think your tiny-fingered, Cheeto-faced, ferret-wearing shitgibbon is doing?
                      Don't tell Luke, but I just LOL'd.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Lit View Post


                        This is what the President of Loyola sent to the Loyola community; my daughter said his response reinforced her confidence that she chose the right place to go to school, and she has been proudly sporting her Baltimore garb all week:


                        Dear Members of the Loyola Community:

                        In recent days, the national conversation has focused on Baltimore, as many of us have seen disheartening comments from President Donald Trump. Those words do not reflect the city I know and love.

                        Loyola University Maryland is proud to be an anchor institution in Baltimore. Our city has a rich history, a vibrant blend of diverse cultures, and some of the best health care and educational institutions in the country, as well as thriving businesses. Baltimore also has its challenges, as every city—every community—does. Particularly as a Jesuit, Catholic university that is invested in supporting and advancing our city, we join our local leaders in naming those issues and working together to create solutions. Loyola is grateful to partner with organizations and businesses and institutions across this city to work together to strengthen Baltimore—and our students are a key part of that success.

                        It is not just the future, however, that is bright. Right now, we are seeing tremendous growth and opportunity for our city. Baltimore is a place that inspires and cultivates innovation and entrepreneurship. It is a city full of optimism. Those outside the city may not be able to appreciate fully the progress that is happening within Baltimore, but it is well underway—and we have great hope for the future.

                        Each fall when our new students arrive at Loyola, we begin to introduce them to Baltimore—not just the dynamic theater and cuisine and professional athletic events, but also some of the challenges that every city faces. Throughout their time on our campus and in the community, our students gain a fuller appreciation for how to be persons for and with others. As they serve in internships and volunteer throughout the city, our students receive a more complete educational experience because they are residents of Baltimore. I’m pleased that nearly 50% of our Loyola graduates make Baltimore their home after graduation. They see the opportunity that exists here—and they want to be part of it. Earlier this week, Visit Baltimore shared this compelling graphic that shows just a few of the reasons we can be proud of Baltimore.

                        The Society of Jesus has traditionally established schools and churches in urban environments, and Loyola was founded specifically to serve the people of Baltimore. This week, as we celebrate the Feast of St. Ignatius of Loyola—the founder of the Jesuits and our university’s namesake and patron saint—I can think of no more fitting time for us to renew our commitment to our city. As St. Ignatius said, “If you promise anything for tomorrow, do it today rather than put it off.”

                        May God bless our city of Baltimore and all those who believe in its extraordinarily bright future.

                        Sincerely,

                        Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J.
                        President



                        Love the letter Lit. I can understand your daughter feeling more confident in her choice. It is an empowering message. Love it.

                        Comment


                        • You’re not in Louisiana anymore.

                          A new deputy police commissioner in Baltimore got a firsthand lesson in the city’s crime problems — getting robbed at gunpoint while out with his wife, according to reports.

                          Deputy Commissioner Daniel Murphy had only started with the force in April after being brought in from New Orleans to help lead sweeping reforms, according to the Baltimore Sun.

                          He was robbed at 9 p.m. Friday by four men in a white SUV near Patterson Park, according to the Sun.

                          Two of the men, said to be about 18, jumped out and approached Murphy and his wife, showing a gun during the holdup, police said in a release.

                          They fled with multiple cellphones, the officer’s wallet and his wife’s purse as well as some cash, the reports state. No one was injured, police say.

                          Murphy was one of the first top deputies hired earlier this year by new Commissioner Michael Harrison after they worked together in New Orleans, according to the Sun.

                          He was sure that Baltimore would be like the Big Easy, he told the paper after starting his new gig in April.

                          “Obviously, every community, every police department is unique, but the success we had in New Orleans is directly transferable to here and we will modify it as necessary,” he said.

                          The robbery came just a month after the department launched a new “crime reduction strategy” that it said would “reduce the victimization and fear of victimization of violent crime in Baltimore City.”

                          There have been 185 homicides in the city so far this year, with 166 from shootings, according to the Sun, with only St. Louis having more murders per 100,000 people, according to a Pew Research Center study based on 2017 figures.

                          Comment


                          • Oh lord. Now he's trolling the Baltimore news for the negative headlines. I thought only New Orleans had violent criminals. Who knew ??

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X