No announcement yet.

happy, happy!!! to dads & to the 50th anniversary of monterey "pop" festival

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• happy, happy!!! to dads & to the 50th anniversary of monterey "pop" festival

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/15/532978...50-years-later

Those three days of rock communion were initially conceived as a one-day affair. Two promoters, Alan Pariser and Ben Shapiro, were booking musicians for an all-day event at the same fairgrounds that hosted the storied Monterey Jazz Festival. But then record producer Lou Adler got wind of the project. "Rock 'n' roll was not considered an art form," Adler says. "So when this idea came up to possibly do this at the same venue that had jazz festivals, we thought this might be the chance for that validation."

Adler and his partner — John Phillips of The Mamas & The Papas — took over. Planning did not get off to a smooth start: Though the idea for the festival had always been to showcase a wide range of musicians, the psychedelic bands from San Francisco wanted nothing to do with the more commercial pop musicians from Los Angeles. Those meetings that took place in San Francisco, Adler says, "pretty much almost came to blows."

On top of that, local authorities in Monterey were starting to get cold feet over the prospect of their town being overrun by hippies. To smooth things over, Phillips wrote a song, "San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair)." The song was an instant hit and broke through to the Top 10 charts in the United States.

https://montereyinternationalpopfestival.com/

The impetus behind the staging of the Monterey International Pop Festival evolved one night in 1967, at Mama Cass Elliot’s house. Paul McCartney, John and Michelle Phillips, Cass and Lou Adler were discussing, along with other highly inspired issues, the general perception of Rock ‘n’ Roll…and that although jazz was considered an art form … Rock ‘n’ Roll on the other hand…was continually viewed as a fad, a trend … both were American born musical genres.

The actual idea to stage a festival in Monterey initially came from Alan Pariser, who had attended the 1966 Monterey Jazz Festival. John Phillips and Lou Adler were approached by Alan Pariser and his partner, Ben Shapiro who wanted to hire the Mamas and The Papas to headline a blues and rock concert at the Monterey Fairgrounds…and as the story goes … later that night actually three o’clock in the morning John and Lou had decided, influenced by some heavy California Dreamin’ that it should be a charitable event…and with six weeks to go the Monterey International Pop Festival; a three-day non-profit event was about to become a reality.

happy, happy to all the mamas out there as well... us papas love our far better halves!!!

edit:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hpj6t

1.5 hours of footage from 1967.... 17 bands w/o a sight of otis redding...

gotta fix that...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2h...967_shortfilms

19 minutes of otis at aforementioned "pop" festival (an exceptionally fine performance, said to be his 1st major live turn at entertainin' a krewe of fairer skinned folk)
    Last edited by PaulC; 1 week ago.

Heard great things about this year's version as well. I played the Dead's set at the original earlier today. Today is my daughter's birthday, too.

Comment

Thanks for the links too. My day is complete. Stay in and avoid the heat and rock out and watch The Open with the sound turn off.

Comment

Interesting.
        How the Doors, Byrds and nearly 30 other bands, a pack of Hells Angels and a lot of drugs made history at Fantasy Fair & Magic Mountain

Comment

Originally posted by PaulC View Post
          http://www.npr.org/2017/06/15/532978...50-years-later

Those three days of rock communion were initially conceived as a one-day affair. Two promoters, Alan Pariser and Ben Shapiro, were booking musicians for an all-day event at the same fairgrounds that hosted the storied Monterey Jazz Festival. But then record producer Lou Adler got wind of the project. "Rock 'n' roll was not considered an art form," Adler says. "So when this idea came up to possibly do this at the same venue that had jazz festivals, we thought this might be the chance for that validation."

Adler and his partner — John Phillips of The Mamas & The Papas — took over. Planning did not get off to a smooth start: Though the idea for the festival had always been to showcase a wide range of musicians, the psychedelic bands from San Francisco wanted nothing to do with the more commercial pop musicians from Los Angeles. Those meetings that took place in San Francisco, Adler says, "pretty much almost came to blows."

On top of that, local authorities in Monterey were starting to get cold feet over the prospect of their town being overrun by hippies. To smooth things over, Phillips wrote a song, "San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair)." The song was an instant hit and broke through to the Top 10 charts in the United States.

https://montereyinternationalpopfestival.com/

The impetus behind the staging of the Monterey International Pop Festival evolved one night in 1967, at Mama Cass Elliot’s house. Paul McCartney, John and Michelle Phillips, Cass and Lou Adler were discussing, along with other highly inspired issues, the general perception of Rock ‘n’ Roll…and that although jazz was considered an art form … Rock ‘n’ Roll on the other hand…was continually viewed as a fad, a trend … both were American born musical genres.

The actual idea to stage a festival in Monterey initially came from Alan Pariser, who had attended the 1966 Monterey Jazz Festival. John Phillips and Lou Adler were approached by Alan Pariser and his partner, Ben Shapiro who wanted to hire the Mamas and The Papas to headline a blues and rock concert at the Monterey Fairgrounds…and as the story goes … later that night actually three o’clock in the morning John and Lou had decided, influenced by some heavy California Dreamin’ that it should be a charitable event…and with six weeks to go the Monterey International Pop Festival; a three-day non-profit event was about to become a reality.

happy, happy to all the mamas out there as well... us papas love our far better halves!!!

edit:

gotta fix that...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2h...967_shortfilms

19 minutes of otis at aforementioned "pop" festival (an exceptionally fine performance, said to be his 1st major live turn at entertainin' a krewe of fairer skinned folk)
          Really wish I could have been at that one! Created the model for all the other big festivals, GREAT performances! Love the movie....

Comment

Did anybody on here go to this? I know one person, zydeco dancer friend, couple of years older than me, lived in the area.... she went. I'm jealous

Comment

Originally posted by PaulC View Post

edit:

Love watching these cuts that didn't make it onto the movie!

Comment

I went one year for the Monterey Blues Fest and was shocked at how small the venue really is. For a momentous, first of it's kind, multi-day fest, it was put on there? But it was intimate - and when I returned to the fairgrounds for a run of Furthur shows and camped onsite it was very romantic in a way.

As for the genesis of the Monterey Pop Festival, that era of Laurel Canyon was an amazing ground-zero for the west coast music scene in so many ways, and almost hands-down fostered by the women who moved there first. Until the Eagles wrecked it. :-) I just passed on an ebay auction for a shirt with the original poster screened on it that'd be perfect for a Summer of Love theme weekend later this summer... but it was a white T

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
                  I went one year for the Monterey Blues Fest and was shocked at how small the venue really is. For a momentous, first of it's kind, multi-day fest, it was put on there? But it was intimate - and when I returned to the fairgrounds for a run of Furthur shows and camped onsite it was very romantic in a way.

As for the genesis of the Monterey Pop Festival, that era of Laurel Canyon was an amazing ground-zero for the west coast music scene in so many ways, and almost hands-down fostered by the women who moved there first. Until the Eagles wrecked it. :-) I just passed on an ebay auction for a shirt with the original poster screened on it that'd be perfect for a Summer of Love theme weekend later this summer... but it was a white T

Yeah, Further there was weird. I've been to the Blues fest a few times. Venue not very big. Love the grounds, the stadium part is strange with the stands to the side. Shame the blues fest didn't survive. They do have a successful festival there now, Cali Roots which is kind of reggae in orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post

Yeah, Further there was weird. I've been to the Blues fest a few times. Venue not very big. Love the grounds, the stadium part is strange with the stands to the side. Shame the blues fest didn't survive. They do have a successful festival there now, Cali Roots which is kind of reggae in orientation.
                    My two favorite moments at the blues fest I attended were going back to the beer vendors at some point and making some crack about this being the place Hendrix blew up? And a Freewheelin' Franklin character next to us saying, pretty seriously, that Hendrix wasn't gonna make it, man. Uh, good to know! The other memory is having 5 tickets and 4 of us completely filled the 5 seats - maybe people were a lot smaller in the 60's? I laughed about it, walked around the perimeter of the box seats on house right, and a guy in the stands says to come up - he's set-up in a box by himself. It was Buddy Ace, and I spent the rest of the fest sitting & talking with him. Last time I saw him, and it was like meeting Allen Toussaint anywhere - you felt like you were dressed for gym class by comparison.

Comment

By all accounts, the anniversary shows this past weekend were money.

Comment

Check out photos and videos from a collaboration-filled Monterey International Pop Festival 50.

Comment

Working...
                        X