X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 20-20
    Moderated
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by duende

I’m not the full quid when it comes to Aussie-speak - I totally thought you meant spongers or yobbos when you said noahs.
    I wish that I had said that.

Comment

• MormonMatthew
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by 20-20

I wish that I had said that.
      This is why Andy Gibb, Steve Irwin and Elizabeth Newton-John never visit this message board anymore

Comment

• Gards
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by bennyboy

Midnight Oil still play?
        They sure do, and they were very good.

The tour manager told me that they rehearsed 170 songs from their back history so that they can change it up when they feel like it.

It was as powerful as they used to be, and sadly they are still having to push the same message, due to man kinds idiocy.

Comment

• Gards
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by duende

I’m not the full quid when it comes to Aussie-speak - I totally thought you meant spongers or yobbos when you said noahs.

Fair enough, but there have been quite a few incidents with the Noahs in Byron and surrounds in recent times.

One of my friends kids was about to go out surfing in one of the areas where a Japanese tourist got munched last year, but they decided to head a bit further south that morning.

Comment

• Gards
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by MormonMatthew

This is why Andy Gibb, Steve Irwin and Elizabeth Newton-John never visit this message board anymore
            Mike Hutchence has not dropped in for a while as well, but Paul Hogan would not be concerned, and as for Errol Flynn.

Say no more.,

Comment

• MormonMatthew
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Gards

Mike Hutchence has not dropped in for a while as well...
              I wondered where Michael Hutchence had been "hanging out at" lately....

(I am truly sorry. I couldn't help myself. Too easy)
              Last edited by MormonMatthew; 11-05-2017, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• funkkjunkie
                • Nov 2006

Howdy I am a BNI.

Hope the guys from Byron are cool?

I have been in the country side for a couple of days doing some stuff at a mighty Midnight Oil concert at Hanging Rock.

It was a great show, and you would not say Yuck
                Was that the one John Butler Trio played at? I saw they were opening for MIdnight Oil.

Comment

• bennyboy
                  • Apr 2007

They sure do, and they were very good.

The tour manager told me that they rehearsed 170 songs from their back history so that they can change it up when they feel like it.

It was as powerful as they used to be, and sadly they are still having to push the same message, due to man kinds idiocy.
                  The times ain't a changing after all?

Comment

• bennyboy
                    • Apr 2007

I would love to see Midnight Oil tour the US. So powerful. Isn't the lead singer in AU govt?

Comment

• Gards
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by funkkjunkie

Was that the one John Butler Trio played at? I saw they were opening for MIdnight Oil.
                      Yep they were very good as usual and I had a chat to Johns sister after not seeing her for many many years.

Comment

• Gards
                        • Mar 2008

I would love to see Midnight Oil tour the US. So powerful. Isn't the lead singer in AU govt?
                        They toured earlier this year and were at a Festival in Memphis at the same time as the second weekend of fest. I think?

Which is a bummer they would be great at Fest..

Peter Garret was in Govt for a while but was hamstrung by having to tow the party line, even though he was against our other party of Trump like idiots.

He was once President of the Australian Conservation society and still does a lot for environmental and other worthy causes.

I will go and see there show here next week at the Music Bowl when I will not have to pretend to w#rk.

Just have to get our big Horse racing carnival out of the way first.

It is Melbourne Cup Day today and I had to get up at 5 am to get out to the course as it is the other side of town, and that was not good for me.

Comment

• festivalgirl
                          • Dec 2006

They did US/Canada in May and then again in August. Didn't get to seem them.

Comment

• festivalgirl
                            • Dec 2006

The Melbourne Cup birds apparently are the winners ....

Comment

• Headless Hornman
                              • Oct 2006

Funny, I was looking at these photos a few hours ago and wondered if Gards attended:

Today is Melbourne Cup day, the most wonderful time of the year, the designated and officially sanctioned horserace/alcohol drinking competition when thousands and thousands of Aussies dress up in their finest duds and get blitzed while intrepid photographers capture it all in order to delight of the rest of us.

Comment

• Gards
                                • Mar 2008

You always see some funny and stupid stuff there.

There are also some very good outfits and some amazing floral displays and over the top corporate marquees, and lots of other fun stuff they could have also taken photos off .

I have a couple of good photos, but it is way too hard for a tech challenged person to put them on here.

Best thing is that only the Cops had guns

It was my first time back doing very little there for about a decade.

I was getting excited with about half a furlong to go, as the horse I had backed in the Cup was ahead, but it got run down near the line.

So what could have been a very big payday ended up with me winning 50 bucks. But I was happy with that.

The crowd seemed down probably about 90,000 as it was very cold early on for this time of year, plus light drizzle with a strong cool wind coming down the straight.

And they are also building a new grandstand.

Melbourne Cup Day is a very big deal in my home state and is always the first Tuesday in November and is a public holiday, so stacks of people take Monday off as well.

We are back out their tomorrow for Oaks Day when if the weather improves we will probably get about 75,000 people on a working day.

Then the 4 day carnival finishes off on Saturday with Stakes Day which will draw about 60,000 and I think last Saturday for Derby Day there were about 80,000 there, so we like our racing, and Midnight Oil.

The Oils had about 23,000 at Hanging Rock and are doing 2 sell outs at the Music Bowl which is about 12,000 and will come back for another show at the Bowl next week

Long may they keep up the good fight.

Comment

Working...