VOW moves to downtown Houma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VOW moves to downtown Houma

Just saw on FB that the grounds used the last couple of years are too wet and they have moved it to a site downtown. Details on their website.

http://www.voiceofthewetlands.org

Now That's ironic.

Comment

Ironic for sure! I emailed their contact person about any Nate repercussions and was told that the storm went by so quickly and far enough east that Houma was pretty much unaffected, with a fine weekend forecast. I wasn't worried as much about the audience area as much as about mud in the parking lot. The downtown site appears to be at or by a tree-filled park in front of the courthouse, should be a nice venue as there are no entry/reentry rules (free festival). Heading south from chicago tomorrow.

Comment

Hasn't been much rain this month.

Comment

That is a bummer the new site is cool.

I know people who have booked hotels close to the normal spot.

I wonder how far they will be from the temp site?

What will the people who were going to be camping or using their motor homes do?

Good luck to all

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

What will the people who were going to be camping or using their motor homes do?

Good luck to all
            I don't think it is a big difference in distance. The hotel I booked was 10 min from original site and is now 5 min from new site.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago Fest Fan View Post

I don't think it is a big difference in distance. The hotel I booked was 10 min from original site and is now 5 min from new site.
              Good to hear.

If we were going this year.

We were planning to camp, so that would have changed things a little.

The Red Dog Saloon stage likes to go very late.

It will be interesting to hear what transpires with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

Good luck to all
                There"s always the Wally World parking lot for RVers, and I think at the Walmart in Kentucky where we saw the eclipse there were even people who had pitched tents around the perimeter of the lot.

+1 on the luck, hope to see some other bored denizens there (we're in a motel).

Comment

"...the Walmart in Kentucky where we saw the eclipse..." might be the single finest,most inspirational, yet deeply disturbing sentence fragment I have ever read.

Comment

Camping updates from the VOW FB page:

TWO DAYS LEFT
                    FESTIVAL & CAMPING NEWS
                    PLEASE SHARE & SPREAD THE NEWS. The Voice of the Wetlands Festival has decided today rather than cancelling this year’s festival we would move it. to the beautiful setting of Historical Downtown Houma, LA. The Festival's address is7856 W Main St, Houma, LA 70360.

To Everyone Who Has Signed Up For Camping: We unfortunately will not have tent camping. You will be contacted and you will get a camping refund.

RV Camping - If you have signed up for RV camping we are working hard to accommodate you and make your stay as pleasant as possible under the circumstances. We have 50 spaces reserved at the Civic Center which is located at 346 Civic Center Blvd in Houma and is approximately 2 miles from the festival.

---

FESTIVAL UPDATE: (keep checking our FB Page for the most recent updates)

We realize that there is confusion about the camping situation and it is understandable due to the unforeseen circumstances that have changed this year's VOW festival venue. Where other events would have simply cancelled, we choose to find another way. The Civic Center has an event this weekend which prevented us from using there facility for "plan-b" as we had in the past. We are now on "plan-c". The director of the Civic Center was kind enough to allow us to use 50 RV hookup spots for this weekend which are barricaded for VOW patrons and volunteers. We will provide shuttle service to and from downtown for campers in the VOW LOT ONLY. I ask that you please respect our organization and our festival goers by not posting negative comments or false information about the event. We are doing our best to post details as they are finalized. This is happening in real-time. Stay tuned and let's have a great weekend!
                    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
                      "...the Walmart in Kentucky where we saw the eclipse..." might be the single finest,most inspirational, yet deeply disturbing sentence fragment I have ever read.
                      Drove late at night looking for a location with no cloud cover and good eclipse duration; the WM parking lot was a convenient spot to snooze a bit, bathrooms available, not crowded. Cheap (free) RV park.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
                        Presumably you would have preferred some symbolic reference to the Second Coming?

Comment

Had been seriously considering Sunday at VOW, but may stay in town for blues festival day 2.5 instead. I really liked the setting for VOW last year, this is a big bummer.

Comment

Just had early dinner at Milano in downtown Houma, a couple of blocks from fest site. Wonderful food! Cornmeal crusted flounder with toasted pecans and sauteed shrimp on wild rice (thats one entree) with fresh bread was sublime.

Comment

Josh Garrett leads off VOW, talented young guitarist and a fine band...bodes well for the rest of the fest!

Comment

Working...
                              X