Brooooce 2006...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooooce 2006...

With the official recording of that amazing day now released, I take a look back, and re-share what I wrote that day for my AOL coverage of that year's incomparable fest:

https://youtu.be/3A6bfRhDOmQ There were a dozen or so people in my house, talking and laughing and eating. I was wrecked. Drained. Spent. Exhausted. I'd spent the day with Bruce Springsteen. Well, so had something like 75,000 others, including everyone now in my house. We were all wrecked. Drained. Spent. Exhausted. But also exhilarated. Inspired. Elevated. It…

Another item just got added to the Stamper Xmas wish list!!!!
    Took 2 feet of water in the flood. Was bawling like a baby beginning during "How Can a Poor Man stand such times and live" and continuing thru the rest of the set.
    Mass catharsis on an unbelievable scale.
    I was at the first Grateful Dead show after Garcia awakened from his '86 coma and that was the only musical experience that even comes close to this one emotionally. And even that Dead show is a distant second.

Comment

Wow, great read! Where is this recording available??

Comment

Originally posted by pirate looks at -- View Post
        Wow, great read! Where is this recording available??
        http://live.brucespringsteen.net/liv...rleans-LA.html

Comment

Has anyone purchased the set yet? How's the sound (or better asked, is it worth the lossless version?)?

And define irony - we were there for the performance, but I wasn't feeling it and we moved on. Fast forward 11 years and I'm buried in old-timey/roots/Americana with my listening tastes and my own music performances (still don't play a lot of, or frankly any, Pete Seeger stuff - this ain't the wayback machine fer crissakes). I'm sure I'll drift back to metal 5 years after Jazzfest features Swedish doom metal as the visiting country's idiom.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post

And define irony - we were there for the performance, but I wasn't feeling it and we moved on. Fast forward 11 years and I'm buried in old-timey/roots/Americana with my listening tastes and my own music performances (still don't play a lot of, or frankly any, Pete Seeger stuff - this ain't the wayback machine fer crissakes). I'm sure I'll drift back to metal 5 years after Jazzfest features Swedish doom metal as the visiting country's idiom.
            I have had so many experiences like this. It is kind of neat/frustrating to think of what future me will be pissed that current me didn’t dig.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
              Has anyone purchased the set yet? How's the sound (or better asked, is it worth the lossless version?)?

He was doing so much Seeger Sessions I decided to leave and go see the Original Meters across the grounds, but I decided to do so by walking forward on the paved path at crowd-left. I was somewhere near those speakers when he began to call out the criminality of the government's response and I stayed rooted. So glad i didn't leave ten minutes earlier.

Comment

Yeah, I went the other weekend that year, but I'm sure I would have been at the Meters and missed it anyway.

Comment

[QUOTE=duende;n812395]Has anyone purchased the set yet? How's the sound (or better asked, is it worth the lossless version?)?

I downloaded the ALAC version and ordered the CD. I am not a high end audiophile, but I think the sound on the lossless file is quite good. The background chatter and wind noise that are present in a couple of other recordings I've heard is stripped out or just not there because of where the mics were, but you also get a good flavor of the crowd reactions. Vocals, instrumentation all come through nicely, balance of bass and treble seem okay to a casual listener like me. A quality recording. Haven't gotten the CD yet.

Bacon Wrapped, nice piece btw. I was lucky enough to be there that day and it was, without doubt, the finest live performance of anything I have ever witnessed, and, like most of you, I've seen quite a few performances. This one was in a category all its own. I'll cop to the fact that I sprinted over to Gentilly for a few minutes to catch the Meters. As great as they are, as important as they are, I realized something epic was taking place at Acura and, incredibly, I walked away from a Meters set. It was unquestionably the right call.

Comment

Working...
                  X